GDT: Game 5 | Nashville @ Columbus | 7 PM EST

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
1666360121958.png

Per MoneyPuck's model, Erik Gudbranson has the worst on-ice expected goals % at 5v5 this season among Dmen with 20+ minutes of ice time.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I’ve always been an Elvis supporter but those first two goals were not overly difficult to stop. He always seems to settle down after the midway point of the first, oddly I was the same but he’s not as laser focused. Oh and watching Johnny Hockey is like watching a man play amongst boys.
A boy-sized man playing among man-sized boys.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015

yeah, his skating is.. yikes. you can really see his ability here. (non game situation but still)

Asking a serious question because I've always wondered but never had a good opportunity. When someone says a player's skating is not up to NHL standards, what are they saying? I look at Sillinger and I see a guy who gets up and down the ice, seems to move well enough, etc. But I'm comparing that to any rando.

What's the problem for him? I see that his stride is maybe a little "choppy" (not sure what word to use) and his legs appear to be very wide when he's churning, which I'd think would lead to a shorter stride and probably limits his speed and maneuverability. Is that part of it? Like, what am I looking at in Sillinger that's less-than-optimal-skating?

Reactions: MAHJ71

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
That’s a bit premature..
I really don’t think it is.

He’s not as offensively talented as Z. He’s maybe not as good defensively 1on1 than Gavrikov or Peeke. But he’s smart as hell and makes the right play every time. None of our other defenseman can say that.

I’m taking Blankenburg over anyone on our blue line right now. And that’s including Werenski

• Wow
Reactions: Doggy

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I have nothing of substance to add except for some reason the settings on my work-controlled computer are allowing me to access hfborads for the first time in about 6 months. As someone who does not have Bally or post much in general, this will mostly translate to "likes" for the rest of you.

I'm frankly perplexed as to how you've made it through your workdays the last 6 months. Welcome back :)

• Haha
Reactions: MAHJ71 and rotsbu

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
What's the problem for him? I see that his stride is maybe a little "choppy" (not sure what word to use) and his legs appear to be very wide when he's churning, which I'd think would lead to a shorter stride and probably limits his speed and maneuverability. Is that part of it? Like, what am I looking at in Sillinger that's less-than-optimal-skating?
I'm not a skating expert so not going to pretend that I know what exactly is less than optimal in his technique, although I can tell that the strides are relatively short and for Sillinger to get up to top speed it does seem to require a lot of raw physical power. He's not using the energies efficiently.

His weaknesses become visible to me in certain situations in a game, for instance in DZ puck retrievals. If I imagine him circling down in the zone to get the puck from D and then completing the breakout, I don't see him succeeding in that task as effortlessly as, say, Roslovic. That's because I think he doesn't create separation speed quickly enough from the forecheckers in order to carry the puck out of the zone, which forces him to pass it to wing (who will have more limited options to make the next play) or just flip to neutral zone.

I see similar issues when I imagine the opponent rimming pucks around the boards from blueline to the other side of Jackets zone where Sillinger is heading, and he's supposed to go after it, steal possession and finally make a controlled play out of it. Imo he usually he doesn't get there fast enough.

Same could be said about winning puck races after a dump-in from center ice. Kuraly for example appears to be much more effective with those type of simple plays that clearly demonstrate skating abilities of a center.

That said, I've only watched the season opener and preseason thus far, can't comment on the last 4 games. I wish there were more discussion about his current play, those questions you posed are great.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Was rewatching the goals scored from last night and idc what the haters say I love Rimer's goal calls. The way that little old fella yells "Scores!" sounds great to me

Reactions: DEF

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I wouldn't want a player with such low potential. :sarcasm:

Okay maybe Barrett Hayton?

He showed up faster with more energy and endurance. I think he's trying more this year than last, but just isn't as uber talented as people say he is, outside of the shot. Not much natural athleticism.

That contract made no sense to me. Jarmo seemed to think he had to get Boqvist locked up quick before his Norris votes started rolling in. :laugh:

That's what I've seen at times too. I think going straight to the NHL without really having to force his way through strong AHL play really spoiled him. If it's not too late I'd love to see him assigned to the AHL and told to force his way back.

I don't see him better at anything right now.
Hayton is exactly who I’d target.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe skating coach work next summer to take the next step - just impossible to do during the season as you rest/prep for 3 games in 4 nights, etc.

That's where AHL is better. They have a gap in the schedule during the week and they focus on training in that time.

What we're doing with Sillinger scares me.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'm sure all of this has been touched on but as this thread is over 300 posts and I haven't read any, but did watch the game, I can imagine how it went. Hell, I was tweeting how this may just not be a good team and when Portzline tweeted "Not a great start" or something like that... That was an understatement. Game in a nutshell....

CBJ starts ECHL lineup vs Stanley Cup Champs and included their cement skates to boot....
Game shifts on a single play in the 2nd (Blankenberg - by the way, his goal song should be "Saved by Zero" because he's pulled this team out... Blanks = Zero... :) )
CBJ decides to shed the cement skates for rocket boosters on their feet and start to show the team speed they have. Game over

My disappointment, and I'm concerned as it's continued from last year, is the soft goals by Elvis. Goals 2 and 3 were pretty atrocious. It's a killer and I can't blame the defense on some of his gaffs any more. If he can't get over this, the CBJ need to seriously consider how to move him. Love the attitude and the personality but he needs to play better. period!

Eric Robinson needs to find a spot in the rafters to watch the game a bit. I don't see him contributing like he did last year in a 4th line role. It's killing that line in my opinion. Gavrikov and Peeke don't seem to work well together. maybe contract issues are getting to Gavy but he hasn't started well.

Chinakhov has confidence and is showing it. I really like his game and his touch/skill is really starting to show. If he can get his shot going, he's got a change to help push this team. KJ also looks like he's got a lot to offer - just need to get him more time to offer it!

Danforth... whoever thought he was not worth a roster spot can kiss my ass. He's the forward version of Blanks. Grit, moxie, skill, do anything for the team.... he's well worth his contract. True glue guy and I love the energy he gives the team too.

Now can we start like we finish for a change and stay out of the box? We get penalties on Saturday and it's going to get ugly... FAST!

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
What does this even mean?
interesting use of equality and inequality in the same statement.

It was a quoted post that slipped in when I responded to something else. And, I essentially quoted the “wrong” person, somebody responding to the person I really should have quoted.

I was responding and making an “assessment” on the transition play and/or breakout passing ability of the 3 guys in response to the continued/repetitive attacks on Gudbranson.

I’d say Gavrikov is quite a bit better offensively in the offensive zone/shooting, with time and space, and puck handling with built up speed through the neutral zone, but, his reads and passing out of the defensive zone under pressure are horrible. Both Gudbranson and Peeke seemingly have no “touch” to their passes in ANY way, and Gavrikov is not much better. Peeke regularly will just flip/chip the puck out of the zone to the other team with ZERO pressure on him.

I also don’t look at Peeke or Gavrikov as ANY better than Gudbranson defensively. The only thing both those guys have over Gudbranson is mobility. With that said, Gudbranson can actually EXECUTE what Gavrikov and Peeke attempt around the net and can actually use his size and strength to box guys out and ACTUALLY tie up sticks so guys can’t get shots off, instead of the Gavrikov “he was in the right position” special tap in just outside the crease on an Elvis uncovered rebound.

Gudbranson is really making 4 million a year and the guy is utterly incapable of completing a breakout pass.

Just find it interesting when Gavrikov and Peeke are out there constantly flinging pucks all over the place to NOBODY all game, why more things aren’t said??

The Bean goal is seemingly overlooked, yet Gavrikov’s relatively simple 2 on 1 goal, or Peeke’s rip the puck to the neutral zone as hard as possible pass to Chinakhov that set up Danforth, is put on a pedestal and highlighted…??

This just in...Bus not a fan of Gavrikov or Peeke. His ideal defensive pairings would be:

1: Jake Bean & Jacob Beaner
2: Jack Beanster & Jakey Beanster (twins)
3: Jacoby Beanowitz & Jakub Beanjamin

I’ve cooled on my Bean “hype” to start the year. He hasn’t looked as good as I had hoped. That said, he also hasn’t been bad either, IMO. He would stand out much more to posters around here if he was playing with Blankenburg instead of Gudbranson. I don’t think he’s been any better or worse than Peeke or Gavrikov.

While it may not seem like it because of the timing, as it wasn’t at the end of the game, that Bean goal was just as “impactful” as any other CBJ goal this year. The team had almost NOTHING going for them up to that point. Just as “pretty” or “skilled” of a goal as any other scored this year, also.

I don’t see Peeke or Boqvist playing those minutes with Werenski either, as they shouldn’t be.

Reactions: VT and Marioesque

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

yeah, his skating is.. yikes. you can really see his ability here. (non game situation but still)

The way he takes off with those crossovers behind the net... Just doesn't seem right. Not low enough and he seems like he's almost leaning back.

Reactions: I3LI3

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
It was a quoted post that slipped in when I responded to something else. And, I essentially quoted the “wrong” person, somebody responding to the person I really should have quoted.

I was responding and making an “assessment” on the transition play and/or breakout passing ability of the 3 guys in response to the continued/repetitive attacks on Gudbranson.

I’d say Gavrikov is quite a bit better offensively in the offensive zone/shooting, with time and space, and puck handling with built up speed through the neutral zone, but, his reads and passing out of the defensive zone under pressure are horrible. Both Gudbranson and Peeke seemingly have no “touch” to their passes in ANY way, and Gavrikov is not much better. Peeke regularly will just flip/chip the puck out of the zone to the other team with ZERO pressure on him.

I also don’t look at Peeke or Gavrikov as ANY better than Gudbranson defensively. The only thing both those guys have over Gudbranson is mobility. With that said, Gudbranson can actually EXECUTE what Gavrikov and Peeke attempt around the net and can actually use his size and strength to box guys out and ACTUALLY tie up sticks so guys can’t get shots off, instead of the Gavrikov “he was in the right position” special tap in just outside the crease on an Elvis uncovered rebound.

Just find it interesting when Gavrikov and Peeke are out there constantly flinging pucks all over the place to NOBODY all game, why more things aren’t said??

The Bean goal is seemingly overlooked, yet Gavrikov’s relatively simple 2 on 1 goal, or Peeke’s rip the puck to the neutral zone as hard as possible pass to Chinakhov that set up Danforth, is put on a pedestal and highlighted…??

I’ve cooled on my Bean “hype” to start the year. He hasn’t looked as good as I had hoped. That said, he also hasn’t been bad either, IMO. He would stand out much more to posters around here if he was playing with Blankenburg instead of Gudbranson. I don’t think he’s been any better or worse than Peeke or Gavrikov.

While it may not seem like it because of the timing, as it wasn’t at the end of the game, that Bean goal was just as “impactful” as any other CBJ goal this year. The team had almost NOTHING going for them up to that point. Just as “pretty” or “skilled” of a goal as any other scored this year, also.

I don’t see Peeke or Boqvist playing those minutes with Werenski either, as they shouldn’t be.
Bus, I hope you aren't taking me too seriously, I am just having a little fun with ya. We have all had particular players we have honked over the past 20+ years...some good and some not so good. I mean not me, I always get them right.

Bean has been fine...and you are right Bean's goal in the second period was big...it'd have been a bigger deal if the Preds hadn't responded with their own goal so quickly.

Reactions: thebus88

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA

Because the players are not even comparable at this point. Peeke and Gavrikov have shown things offensively and have made great plays coming out of their own zone. Gudbranson is old, doesnt have the potential to improve drastically and has NEVER or will be expected to do anything offensively. Gud straight up cant break out of the zone, hes good down low but is terrible everywhere else. The stats back it up and so does the eye test.

Oh and he makes 4 f***ing million. League minimum? Sure he's not awful for that, but 4 million you should be able to break out of your zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad