GDT: Game 5 | Leafs @ Bruins | COME BACK BEGINS - WAKE UP EDITION | Tuesday, Apr. 30 7 p.m. EST | Leafs trail series 1-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
The Leafs issues aren't because of marner, they're because there is no leadership, no Gilmour nor Trottier nor Sittler nor Sundin nor Roberts nor ...

A bunch of higher skilled and talented individuals. I'm kind of surprised Nylander was the one who spoke up on the bench. I think they have to demote the aura of Matthews being their key player, and make him a key player.
I'm glad Nylander spoke up. Hell, his Swedish teammates even say "he is half Canadian". Perhaps this is the frustrated Canadian speaking up.

I watched Sundin morph from the quiet Swede when he first arrived to a pure leader after being around Gilmour et al for awhile. You would see him yell on the bench at his teammates. That guy took punishment but came through in the clutch so often using his size and insane backhand. The guy never publicly complained and he had to play with AAA calibre wingers too often.

To be honest, I think Nylander probably had a very strong opinion after watching the first three games. He saw what we saw.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
You bring up these points of other teams and fan bases but fail to realize how "unique" this organization is.

There is not a single organization in the sports industry like us. No other league has a team that makes the playoffs 8 times in a row and is never looked even once as a serious contender league wide.

No team in any other league has had to endure the embarassment that this team provides us

As for when we came back to make it 1-1, you did read the matthews thread right? People, including myself, were talking about how legendary that game was from him, how he willed the team a win, we talked about that game as if we forgot the past 50. This fanbase is reactionary, give us something to cheer for and you won't shut us up, but give us a reason to hate, and you'll never hear the end of it. This team has just not given us anything to cheer for.

Just look at this series. We have:
1.75 GF League Average ->3.12
3.5 GA League Average -> 3.12
50% PK
7% PP
.883 SV%
Leading scorer has 3 points in 4 games
No player has scored twice

We can't score, we can't defend, we can't get saves and we should still find a way to cheer? What the f*** are we supposed to be excited about?
Can't help about the shape we're in
Can't score
No goalie
and our D is thin...

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
1714500704964.png

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Just saw the Ryan Whitney bear meme. Hard to believe there is anything left of this franchise. Roasted to the ground.
There isn't anything left at the moment. Have you heard the players and coach? Not a single one of them believe they can win. This was over before it started.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
That's all fine.

But it's totally wrong.

You've created multiple holes by removing one player. It's also not how you successfully build winning teams.

As long as you're comfortable acknowledging that great teams don't let superstars just walk away, and end up coming out ahead, we can move on.

If you can't acknowledge that, then you're admitting to yourself and everyone else that you're just spewing emotional rants - which is fair and therapeutic, but just not conducive to good team building strategy.
To be fair, I don't think you can say removing Marner creates a hole on the PP and PK. Like it can't get worse.

Reactions: fahad203

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
There isn't anything left at the moment. Have you heard the players and coach? Not a single one of them believe they can win. This was over before it started.

Which is good. When they believed they could win they didn't

Win the game. Make a series out of it

Reactions: All Mod Cons

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The Leafs issue is that they are paying 4 guys 50% of the cap. No leadership can overcome that IMO.
I strongly disagree.

That one of those is not taking control, and leading, demanding, and calling out the others (in private) is the issue.

If you swapped out a younger Crosby for Tavares (Using Crosby as example) the fact that they have 4 guys making the same money would be different.

It isn't the amount it is the players.

Reactions: Azail

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Which is good. When they believed they could win they didn't

Win the game. Make a series out of it
I hope they do. But I can't see any way in which the Leafs win tonight. I fully expect them not to turn up and just go through the motions. I just hope our non-shutout streak doesn't end. 🙏

Reactions: fahad203

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm about to fly to Portland for a concert, the game will be on at 4pm local time. I'll be able to catch most of it before the show. I hope they make it hard for me to leave. I've been pretty apathetic this playoffs. Outside of Matthews in game 2, there's been legitimately nothing to cheer about. No big goals, no big saves, no momentum changing hits, no one selling out to block shots, no one giving it all on a back check, no clutch goals, no one eating cross checks to get in Swayman's face. Not even an exciting odd man rush. This is why we're all mad. Not a single moment to get you out of your seat and cheering. But I'm still a fan, I want them to win.

But no matter what, I'm seeing a sick band tonight and at least they will put on a great show, if the Leafs don't.
for me to go to a concert in Portland it would have to be Led Zeppelin...........with the Beatles as the opening act if you catch my drift.............

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
You'd think we are in lottery territory the way some people act. We are a good regular season team who isn't equipped for the play offs, it sucks but it could be far worse.

Reactions: Menzinger

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
I strongly disagree.

That one of those is not taking control, and leading, demanding, and calling out the others (in private) is the issue.

If you swapped out a younger Crosby for Tavares (Using Crosby as example) the fact that they have 4 guys making the same money would be different.

It isn't the amount it is the players.
rofl... if we swapped out peak Crosby for an aging Tavares we wouldn't have this problem. You don't say. Can we swap out Sammy for Lundqvist, Rielly for Coffey, and Reaves for McCarty too?

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
You'd think we are in lottery territory the way some people act. We are a good regular season team who isn't equipped for the play offs, it sucks but it could be far worse.
Yeah, but tonight is a playoff game. If this was regular season, the Leafs would probably do OK. For how good of a regular season team we are, I wish we'd won a President's Trophy. Just for something.

We're basically the hockey equivalent of Denmark or Switzerland, but with half the fanbase acting like we are France and the other half like we are Scotland.

Last edited:

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Marchant will get the first goal with the first shot on net. And the second on the last shot into a empty cage.
And then keefe will get fired.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Feel the same. Strange this year, I don't feel as disappointed as I have in the past.

Same because this is what I expected as soon as Treliving was hired. Not to mention they ended the season looking horrible and that's clearly carried over into the playoffs.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Precisely. Nothing is more valuable than $11M in Cap Space for a team that has won 1 Playoff Round in 8 attempts.

BTW, I also look to move Reilly too and see what Tavares is feeling with his NMC.

Look, at some point the team has to be blunt. It's not personal, it's strictly business. These players weren't making minimum wage and manning the checkouts of groceries stores during covid. They are making more in a season than many hard working people make their entire years.

I am not insensitive to their plight, but, they have been very well remunerated for the inconveniences of being traded.

Build around Nylander and Matthews, plus men like McCabb, Reaves and the young guns Knies, McMann, Benoit etc.

Use the money to get a legit #1 DMan if you can, and a legit #1 goalie. Some middle of the pack North South forwards and build balance. If you lose 5-6 points in the standings, so be it.
yes there is, 22M, get rid of JT, and I agree, get rid of Rielly too if possible............

Reactions: Suntouchable13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad