GDT: Game 5 | Leafs @ Bruins | COME BACK BEGINS - WAKE UP EDITION | Tuesday, Apr. 30 7 p.m. EST | Leafs trail series 1-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Haven't been able to watch a minute of hockey since the game Sat night. The thought makes me ill. But I will tune in tonight. See what happens. Haven't read any reports. This illness thing is as strange as the migranes. I wonder if Mathews has mono or something?
Timmins just had it and was practicing with the squad right away. Interesting theory. If Matthews caught it he could have an enlarged spleen and make it dangerous to absorb contact.

Reactions: Rude Dog

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I was responding to the poster who said the bruins are dealing with their own demons and from what I have seen so far, Im not seeing it.
Not this series.

But if the Leafs were able to win the next two, doubt creeps in of failures past.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Guess Woll is in. I'm good with that. Might as well.

Hopefully Matthews is good to go but Holy with the freaking injuries and weird shit this playoffs.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Timmins just had it and was practicing with the squad right away. Interesting theory. If Matthews caught it he could have an enlarged spleen and make it dangerous to absorb contact.

I think it's more probable that they've had Covid on the team, and Matthews has some long Covid symptoms, but that's just speculation on my part. I've had long covid once... it's not fun.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Not this series.

But if the Leafs were able to win the next two, doubt creeps in of failures past.
Thats a pretty big IF and means nothing at this moment. The poster was saying the bruins are dealing with their own demons right now, not 2 games from now.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Haven't been able to watch a minute of hockey since the game Sat night. The thought makes me ill. But I will tune in tonight because I love to suffer. Haven't read any reports, but this illness thing is as strange as the migranes. I wonder if Mathews has mono?

Same. I tuned to the Oilers/Kings game on Sunday night but as soon as the refs awarded the Oilers a phantom PP to go up 1-0 that was it for me.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Sit back, enjoy the game. Whatever happens, happens. The sun will still rise in the morning.
I hope there's more to enjoy than in the last game.
I'm excited for this one.

sink or swim baby.
I'm excited for all of them, we'll see how long it lasts.
I think it's more probable that they've had Covid on the team, and Matthews has some long Covid symptoms, but that's just speculation on my part. I've had long covid once... it's not fun.
You had long covid? Does that mean you're back to 100%? How long was it?

I ask because when I got covid it took me about 7 weeks to be 100%, but I don't think that qualifies a long covid. Not that I know anything, that's why I ask. :)

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I hope there's more to enjoy than in the last game.

I'm excited for all of them, we'll see how long it lasts.

You had long covid? Does that mean you're back to 100%? How long was it?

I ask because when I got covid it took me about 7 weeks to be 100%, but I don't think that qualifies a long covid. Not that I know anything, that's why I ask. :)
Ya, I had it back in April 2020... It took me about 3-4 months to be 100%... headaches, fatigue.... Man, the fatigue after, no way anyone could do sports with that...

EPIC!!

""

Scion

May 25, 2012
The Leafs issues aren't because of marner, they're because there is no leadership, no Gilmour nor Trottier nor Sittler nor Sundin nor Roberts nor ...

A bunch of higher skilled and talented individuals. I'm kind of surprised Nylander was the one who spoke up on the bench. I think they have to demote the aura of Matthews being their key player, and make him a key player.
The Leafs issue is that they are paying 4 guys 50% of the cap. No leadership can overcome that IMO.

They aren't a Shea Theodore and a backup away from being a contender, but fair enough.
You can get Shea Theodore and a real starter for Marner's money, and then the 11M that is freed up with Tavares' expiring deal can be used to get the team what it needs to be contenders.

Reactions: supermann_98

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ya, I had it back in April 2020... It took me about 3-4 months to be 100%... headaches, fatigue.... Man, the fatigue after, no way anyone could do sports with that...

EPIC!!

""

Oh 3-4 months, that is long indeed. Glad you've recovered and it wasn't 3-4 years, being sick sucks!

GLG!!

The Leafs issue is that they are paying 4 guys 50% of the cap. No leadership can overcome that IMO.
It wouldn't hurt though.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
When a guy with big playoff reputation and who won conne smythe, who borned in Ontario... doesn't want to resign because of it... Maybe its time to understand than they're something else wrong outside of player by himself.

I'm living in Quebec and Montreal fan are also extremely hard on their player but sorry i never saw anytime Montreal fan bashing his own team during a playoff series ( and didn't talk about an even serie)... they supporting them team until the lost and after they doing it.

Toronto came back from Boston with a 1-1 series tie and the bashing already started. A scenario every team no exception would accept no problem at all... If you don't see anything wrong. For me that's just helping to crrate a toxic environment, nothing else.

You can ignore media and whatever on the road but at home, with your family, friends and whatever here... its impossible

Watched florida/vegas... sorry but yes they have fun. Having fun doesn't mean you dont have to work hard or whatever. Its exemple you cant wait to come on the ice to play. Not complain about your teammate but support each other...
You bring up these points of other teams and fan bases but fail to realize how "unique" this organization is.

There is not a single organization in the sports industry like us. No other league has a team that makes the playoffs 8 times in a row and is never looked even once as a serious contender league wide.

No team in any other league has had to endure the embarassment that this team provides us

As for when we came back to make it 1-1, you did read the matthews thread right? People, including myself, were talking about how legendary that game was from him, how he willed the team a win, we talked about that game as if we forgot the past 50. This fanbase is reactionary, give us something to cheer for and you won't shut us up, but give us a reason to hate, and you'll never hear the end of it. This team has just not given us anything to cheer for.

Just look at this series. We have:
1.75 GF League Average ->3.12
3.5 GA League Average -> 3.12
50% PK
7% PP
.883 SV%
Leading scorer has 3 points in 4 games
No player has scored twice

We can't score, we can't defend, we can't get saves and we should still find a way to cheer? What the f*** are we supposed to be excited about?

• Haha
Reactions: Leafsfan74

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Everytime I click on the mainboards I am reminded why I don't go there often

Purely speculating, I think I know what is wrong with Matthews. I think he has severe bronchitis bordering on pneumonia. If anyone has had a bad case it makes complete sense.

My wife had it once, I came downstairs after my shower getting ready for work to find her crying on the kitchen floor. She was trying to make her lunch and was so weak she collapsed. Rushed her to the hospital, Dr scolded her for waiting so long to get checked and told her she was lucky she didn't wait any longer.

Couldn't imagine trying to have such intensity as is required when you can't ever catch your breath and can barely move.

Scion

May 25, 2012
I'd honestly prefer they lose tonight than trick anyone in management into thinking they are better than they are with a couple of wins. Either win the series or lose tonight. I want to see change one way or another.

Jun 27, 2005
I find it hilarious/wack that Quentin Tarantino wrote a part in a movie where she puts her foot in a characters mouth to take a shot of tequila, And Quentin casted himself as that character.
It's well known that he has a foot fetish.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Cap space is not nothing though, it is an asset. That being said, getting something tangible for him would be the ideal scenario
If Mitch Marner is unwilling to sign a team friendly deal or provide a list of teams he would be willing to be traded to (the only way I see us getting nothing in return) then I am even more convinced that the Leafs need to trade him. The team doesn't need that kind of presence in the room, it would be addition by subtraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad