Post-Game Talk: GAME #5 - Canucks 1, Sharks 4 - California Meltdown Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
The Campbell stuff shouldn't be a great argument, we have two of the best passers in the league on that PP, we just need a better system to utilize everyone's talents. Also, some chemistry will develop over time with Garrison and whoever else is on with the Sedins.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
The Campbell stuff shouldn't be a great argument, we have two of the best passers in the league on that PP, we just need a better system to utilize everyone's talents. Also, some chemistry will develop over time with Garrison and whoever else is on with the Sedins.

This is true -- to an extent. The Sedins don't generally set the point up for plays on the PP though. They use it as a passing outlet to relieve pressure when teams press them too hard in the corners, which opens up ice for the defense. Garrison is more of a traditional PP shot, in that he sets up and tries to find open room in the middle of the ice to set up for a wicked one-timer.

Unless it's a 5 on 3, I think he's wasted on the first unit. Edler, too, for that matter. When Kesler is back I'd like to see him on a 2nd unit with Garrison and Edler, or at least one of the two.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
This is true -- to an extent. The Sedins don't generally set the point up for plays on the PP though. They use it as a passing outlet to relieve pressure when teams press them too hard in the corners, which opens up ice for the defense. Garrison is more of a traditional PP shot, in that he sets up and tries to find open room in the middle of the ice to set up for a wicked one-timer.

Unless it's a 5 on 3, I think he's wasted on the first unit. Edler, too, for that matter. When Kesler is back I'd like to see him on a 2nd unit with Garrison and Edler, or at least one of the two.

I just think with the talented playmakers we have, that they could set up Garrison very well if they practiced some more point-oriented plays. If they don't want to use the point all that much then I would agree, put Garrison and Edler on the second. I would motion for Ballard and Tanev to be tried on the first unit. Ballard is more self explanatory, but Tanev may be a guy that works well because he is such a smart player and can pass really well. He may not have the shot, but he can still create offense and set up Ballard.

Maybe put Tanev with Edler/Garrison as I find that Edler and Garrison do a very poor job of giving each other passes that they can One-Time. Also there is a bennifit to having a righty and lefty out on the PP

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
They could set the points up, but the Sedins are so good off the half-wall that it seems wasted. Canucks 1st PP unit is as good as any in hockey. Balancing out the 2nd unit would be nice.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Yup. At first i thought he maybe managed to craftily move out of the way but he got crunched. Put himself in a good position to take the hit. Still was a big one though.

no doubt it was a huge hit, just happy that Tanev put himself in a good position to not take too much damage and get back in the play quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad