Post-Game Talk: Game 5 - BRUINS crap out in Vegas - VGK 3 BRUINS 1 FINAL

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
For what it's worth, follow up from Hacks

Didn't really really understand the outrage at the original quote in the first place.

There's been criticism of his post game comments for a while and it sounds like he's aware and going to worry about his own **** more. Like people wanted him to.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Didn't really really understand the outrage at the original quote in the first place.

There's been criticism of his post game comments for a while and it sounds like he's aware and going to worry about his own **** more. Like people wanted him to.
That's what I figured but others heard something else incredibly lol

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Ok, I am not a Subban fan but I am going to call BS on this. The US outshot and outplayed the Canadian team in both those games. Subban actually stole the 1st game in the round robin 2-1 despite being outshot. The US won the playoff game 5-1. Subban was pulled, but the US controlled that game, put 42 shots on net. The Canadians could have had vintage Hasek in net for that game and still would have lost.
From what I remember Subban had no help at all and the Canadian media made him the scapegoat. The team was horrible defensively. Every fan base ragged on him as he was a Bruin pick and easily blamed. Add the underlining racist attitudes he was an easy target. The other goalies were no better, yet never got the same flack. Face it he was very close to a shutout and well deserved. He played his angles, made the saves and moved the puck to his defense, a very Price like game, nothing but sour grapes around here. If the tables were turned and it was McIntryre vs whomever, we would be happy as heck

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I would say Chara has had two good games and three lousy games,but than I would say that for most of the team.Thats I think why so much negativity,it's like 3 games that they never showed up for,this team just isn't good enough to win on their skills alone not with any consistency.I have no issues with Chara at 4 mil however I would like to see his ice time diminished and slowly get phased out of top pairings.
I would say Chara had one good game, one okay game and the first few were bad. His good game his partner was outstanding, takes 2 to tango, they feed off each other.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Subban was injured for a duration of those 4 years

And?...

Unfortunately, the NHL doesn’t give free passes when a player has an injury setback. Subban was still subject to the waiver process and hasn’t shown nearly enough to unseat Khudobin. He couldn’t even take the top spot in PRO, nevemind the backup role in Boston.

This is the part that you are ignoring. He didn’t show that he was good enough to bump Khudobin or McIntyre.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Subban was never going to get a chance here with Rask under such a long contract. Vegas is perfect for him, hope he wins and succeeds and makes another Chia pick look good.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Subban was never going to get a chance here with Rask under such a long contract. Vegas is perfect for him, hope he wins and succeeds and makes another Chia pick look good.

Why on earth would you want a pick that is no longer on the team to make Chia look good?

I’m not wishing Subban any ill will, but I could give a flying **** about how Chia looks. **** him and the horse he rode in on.

:laugh:

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Feel free to start following EDM lol
Man so angry. Chiarelli did a lot of good for Boston and was tossed out in an extreme manner. I just don't understand why everyone needs to be talked down when they are no longer with the Bruins. Chiarelli made Boston a desirable organization, got us a cup, and even built the scouting team that has been so fantastic the last few years. I for one am glad to see him have continued success somewhere else he earned it while here.

Reactions: dabid

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Man so angry. Chiarelli did a lot of good for Boston and was tossed out in an extreme manner. I just don't understand why everyone needs to be talked down when they are no longer with the Bruins. Chiarelli made Boston a desirable organization, got us a cup, and even built the scouting team that has been so fantastic the last few years. I for one am glad to see him have continued success somewhere else he earned it while here.

Chia did not “build the scouting team that has been so fantastic the last few years”. His lack of success in the draft was one of the largest nails in his coffin. He hired his brother to “scout” the OHL and he was rarely seen by guys that actually did scout the league.

I have no issues with the first half of Chia’s tenure in Boston, but I didn’t like the state he left the team in. Instead of being proactive (like CHI management) and making hard choices, he just tried to keep everyone, to the detriment of the team.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Chia did not “build the scouting team that has been so fantastic the last few years”. His lack of success in the draft was one of the largest nails in his coffin. He hired his brother to “scout” the OHL and he was rarely seen by guys that actually did scout the league.

I have no issues with the first half of Chia’s tenure in Boston, but I didn’t like the state he left the team in. Instead of being proactive (like CHI management) and making hard choices, he just tried to keep everyone, to the detriment of the team.

I'm not going to debate this heavily with you but he had figured out he was having issues with his drafting a little late but he figured it out, and put together Gretzky and the other guys that have been our team for the last few years. There is a reason the 2014 draft has provided so many good prospects for us and Sweeney didn't just gut the scouts when he took over. It's alright to not like the team he left but I don't think the team was ever in the dire situation others made it out to be. But I guess since he had his brother do some scouting for him all of his scouts must have been a mess the entire time he was here.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa

Also he definitely didn't try and keep everyone, Boychuck and Thornton are just some examples. It can be debated whether he kept the right people but he definitely didn't try and keep everyone, but I guess we should knock him for trying to keep a cup team together. Also for all this 4th line players are a dime a dozen nonsence, the state of our 4th line and 3rd line have been our achilles heal the last couple of years. Again not trying to say the guy was perfect here, but I don't see any need to be upset at the guy when he did a lot for us as a franchise.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
outside of no-brainer picks like Dougie and Seguin and the very good Pastrnak pick which Chia picks were good?

IIRC he didn't draft a single full-time NHL defenseman the whole time he was here.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
outside of no-brainer picks like Dougie and Seguin and the very good Pastrnak pick which Chia picks were good?

IIRC he didn't draft a single full-time NHL defenseman the whole time he was here.

Maybe not but he put together one of the best D cores on the league via trades or FA. My only hope is Sweeney is held to the same standards which I don't think he is or will be.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'm not going to debate this heavily with you but he had figured out he was having issues with his drafting a little late but he figured it out, and put together Gretzky and the other guys that have been our team for the last few years. There is a reason the 2014 draft has provided so many good prospects for us and Sweeney didn't just gut the scouts when he took over. It's alright to not like the team he left but I don't think the team was ever in the dire situation others made it out to be. But I guess since he had his brother do some scouting for him all of his scouts must have been a mess the entire time he was here.

There is nothing to debate. Chia had an awful draft record and it was one of the primary reasons he was let go.

When Sweeney took over, the scouting department did undergo changes and he has added to it significantly in the last couple of years. I wish he would do the same with the pro scouting area.

You missed the point. His brother wasn’t scouting. If you are just going to put him on the payroll for doing nothing, at least hire another scout to actually do what he’s supposed to be doing.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
And?...

Unfortunately, the NHL doesn’t give free passes when a player has an injury setback. Subban was still subject to the waiver process and hasn’t shown nearly enough to unseat Khudobin. He couldn’t even take the top spot in PRO, nevemind the backup role in Boston.

This is the part that you are ignoring. He didn’t show that he was good enough to bump Khudobin or McIntyre.

I posted earlier that I think he needed more time and if we are in a rebuild what is wrong with moving Khodobin to give him that time?

Only time will tell.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Also he definitely didn't try and keep everyone, Boychuck and Thornton are just some examples. It can be debated whether he kept the right people but he definitely didn't try and keep everyone, but I guess we should knock him for trying to keep a cup team together. Also for all this 4th line players are a dime a dozen nonsence, the state of our 4th line and 3rd line have been our achilles heal the last couple of years. Again not trying to say the guy was perfect here, but I don't see any need to be upset at the guy when he did a lot for us as a franchise.

I’m really not sure what you are talking about? Thornton was pretty much done by the time Chia let him walk and the only reason he didn’t keep Boychuk was because he mismanaged the Cap and couldn’t afford him. Then, to compound it, instead of dealing the always injured Kelly (which would have gotten the team under the Cap), and at least keeping Boychuk until the deadline, he dealt JB55 the week before the regular season started, leaving a void on the D and in the dressing room that was never filled.

I also disagree about the 4th line being an Achilles heel. Last season, Moore, Nash and Schaller did a good job at ES and were part of one of the best PK units in the league.

I appreciate the job Chia did building the team into a Cup winner, but after the Cup he went downhill, and the last couple of years were a disaster IMO.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Excellent post. I couldn't agree more.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I’m really not sure what you are talking about? Thornton was pretty much done by the time Chia let him walk and the only reason he didn’t keep Boychuk was because he mismanaged the Cap and couldn’t afford him. Then, to compound it, instead of dealing the always injured Kelly (which would have gotten the team under the Cap), and at least keeping Boychuk until the deadline, he dealt JB55 the week before the regular season started, leaving a void on the D and in the dressing room that was never filled.

I also disagree about the 4th line being an Achilles heel. Last season, Moore, Nash and Schaller did a good job at ES and were part of one of the best PK units in the league.

I appreciate the job Chia did building the team into a Cup winner, but after the Cup he went downhill, and the last couple of years were a disaster IMO.

Well, his last 3 years were a cup final (one of the greatest runs we've seen), Presidents trophy and missing the playoffs once by a point after 7 straight years in the playoffs. Hardly a disaster, and I doubt Sweeney even comes close to achieving Chia's so called worst years.

Last edited:

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Well, his last 3 years were a cup final, Pres trophy and missing the playoffs once by a point after 7 straight years in the playoffs. Hardly a disaster, and I doubt Sweeney even comes close to achieving Chia's so called worst years.
Agreed. There's way too much hatred towards a former GM who achieved so much success while here. I think his tenure here was way too short and the results since his departure prove it.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Well, his last 3 years were a cup final (one of the greatest runs we've seen), Presidents trophy and missing the playoffs once by a point after 7 straight years in the playoffs. Hardly a disaster, and I doubt Sweeney even comes close to achieving Chia's so called worst years.

He also traded the 2nd pick in the draft and budding superstar Tyler Seguin for what turned out to be nothing (literally), and botched the deal for Iginla that likely gives the B’s a second Cup. FYI, a President’s Trophy and $2.65 will get you an x-large coffee at Dunkin Donuts.

He did an excellent job acquiring Chara, Horton, Campbell, Sides and Recchi among others. However, when Chia got here, he also inherited a young Bergeron and Krejci, Marchand, Lucic, Thomas, Rask and the 5th pick in the draft, so a large chunk of the Cup team was in place already. He was set up in a far better situation than what he’s left Sweeney.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
He also traded the 2nd pick in the draft and budding superstar Tyler Seguin for what turned out to be nothing (literally), and botched the deal for Iginla that likely gives the B’s a second Cup. FYI, a President’s Trophy and $2.65 will get you an x-large coffee at Dunkin Donuts.

He did an excellent job acquiring Chara, Horton, Campbell, Sides and Recchi among others. However, when Chia got here, he also inherited a young Bergeron and Krejci, Marchand, Lucic, Thomas, Rask and the 5th pick in the draft, so a large chunk of the Cup team was in place already. He was set up in a far better situation than what he’s left Sweeney.

Sweeney was left with plenty of talent, Marchand and Pasta are scorers any GM would love to have. All he really needed to do was get a decent 3rd and 4th line and add a top Dman. So far, this new administration has failed to add anything to aid the core and propel them on a playoff run. I get fans like Sweeney and weren't fans of Chia, my only hope is they hold Sweeney to the same standards so we won't fall into hockey purgatory.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad