Post-Game Talk: Game 5 - BRUINS crap out in Vegas - VGK 3 BRUINS 1 FINAL

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Of course you do.

You can’t hold two GM’s who took over two different teams to the same standard. That would be asinine. Hold them both to high standards, but comparing the two is apples and oranges.

yes you can, signings like Backes, Beleskey, and trades for players like Hayes and the returns for Lucic, and Hamilton which have yet to yield anything sufficient in value can all be analyzed like Chia's moves were. I give Sweeney credit for Marchand and Pasta which he deserves. All I ask for is honesty comparing the GM's.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Never said Sweeney was God, nor Chia a mess of a GM. That’s you putting words in my mouth.

Comprehension seems to be a challenge here sometimes, so once again:

1) Chia and Sweeney took over teams in completely different situations. Sweeney had an aging core and no Cap space. Chia was able to sign two huge FA’s with his Cap room and had the young core in place already that would lead them to a Cup.

2) For the umpteenth time, Chia did a GREAT job in adding pieces like Horton, Recchi, etc., but the last half of his tenure with B’s was a downward trend. It was time for him to go after 9 years.

Chia is gone, Sweeney is here and trying to get the team back to a Cup. That’s all I’m really concerned about at this point

The bolded part I completely agree with. Also agree that Chiarelli and Sweeney inherited different teams and had different things they had to do and I have been happy with what Sweeney has done, simply think that Sweeney didn't inherit the mess that it is sometimes made out to be.

As far as the first part, sorry it was out of frustration, but if you are going to come in and attack any support for Chiarelli and turn it into a debate than you will see more heated responses.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The bolded part I completely agree with. Also agree that Chiarelli and Sweeney inherited different teams and had different things they had to do and I have been happy with what Sweeney has done, simply think that Sweeney didn't inherit the mess that it is sometimes made out to be.

As far as the first part, sorry it was out of frustration, but if you are going to come in and attack any support for Chiarelli and turn it into a debate than you will see more heated responses.

It’s completely subjective, but I believe Chia was in an easier spot.

As far as the other stuff goes, people pining away for the salad days of Chia is just pointless. As another poster stated, I don’t think the team would be in any better shape under Chia right now than Sweeney. And the idea that Chia somehow got screwed and/or direspected is one that I don’t buy.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Firstly, who on the team when Chiarelli took over were anywhere close to guys like Lucic, Krejci, Bergeron, Krug, Ericsson, Rask, Pasternak, Hamilton. They make be aging and some on long term deals but they all definitely had value how else would Sweeney have gotten so many first round picks beyond that how would so many of them still be a part of the team if they were so old and not valuable? Outside of Bergeron which of the young players that Chiarelli inherited were playing on the team? I don't understand how trusting his employees is a take away for him either. He had Sweeney doing scouting for him he couldn't and trusted Sweeney's opinion so somehow we should be mad at Chiarelli because it wasn't directly him? I don't even know why I'm arguing with you about this, I don't understand why but you've already decided Sweeney is god and Chiarelli is a mess of a GM at this point and there is no debating with you.

It was a different set of circumstances but Chiarelli walked into the Bruins at the same point of a rebuild as Sweeney has. Except - Chiarelli already had Lucic, Merchand, Krejci, Bergeron, Chara, Savard (latter two are debatable), Kessel, in their youth/primes.

It's tough to praise Chiarelli in such black and white fashion (2 Cup Finals!) when the Bruins were poised for a half decade plus of dominance in 2011 and Chiarelli managed to send the B's to where they are now instead.

No one knows what will happen to Sweeney yet, there is no double standard until he too is gone and we compare their work side by side.

All I know is Sweeney had one hell of a colossal mess to clean up.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Sweeney came in as Bruins GM less than 1 year after the Bruins having the best record in the league (117 points), Boychuk Iggy leaving and Krejci being injured hurt that next year of course where they barely miss but definitely something a GM could fix. Chia started from scratch from a non playoff team where Bergeron was the only real known player from pre strike 2006, and was concussed the year Savard and Chara were added. cmon!

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Sweeney came in as Bruins GM less than 1 year after the Bruins having the best record in the league, Boychuk Iggy leaving and Krejci being injured hurt that next year of course where they barely miss but definitely something a GM could fix. Chia started from scratch from a non playoff team where Bergeron was the only real known player from pre strike 2006, and was concussed the year Savard and Chara were added. cmon!

The Bruins had the best regular season team and then got upset by the Habs. A year later they were out of the playoffs. Boychuk and Iginla “leaving” were because Chia couldn’t afford them. He went for it the year of the Prez Cup, got beat and that was all she wrote. Iginla’s bonuses came due the following season. Beginning of the end.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The Bruins had the best regular season team and then got upset by the Habs. A year later they were out of the playoffs. Boychuk and Iginla “leaving” were because Chia couldn’t afford them. He went for it the year of the Prez Cup, got beat and that was all she wrote. Iginla’s bonuses came due the following season. Beginning of the end.

when they fired him, ya, I knew it was the end of the Bruins dominance in the east until the next hockey Tsar arrives. If Sweeney can do that, much respect but I'm not confident.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Sweeney came in as Bruins GM less than 1 year after the Bruins having the best record in the league (117 points), Boychuk Iggy leaving and Krejci being injured hurt that next year of course where they barely miss but definitely something a GM could fix. Chia started from scratch from a non playoff team where Bergeron was the only real known player from pre strike 2006, and was concussed the year Savard and Chara were added. cmon!

Why did Boychuk and Iginla leave?

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
It’s completely subjective, but I believe Chia was in an easier spot.

As far as the other stuff goes, people pining away for the salad days of Chia is just pointless. As another poster stated, I don’t think the team would be in any better shape under Chia right now than Sweeney. And the idea that Chia somehow got screwed and/or direspected is one that I don’t buy.
I don't think Chia got screwed in any way, but he has definitely been disrespected. Beyond that I agree with you, who knows what the team would look like under Chiarelli, some think better some worse, there is no way to know but we probably wouldn't have the glut of prospects we currently do. Again I have no issues with Sweeney, I wish he had used a few of his glut of prospects to bridge the gap between them and the Bergeron Marchand group, but it is hard to argue he doesn't have the team set up well for the future.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
cap casualties, happens to all teams who are dominant, no reason to destroy a great thing the Bruins had going. They could have rebounded.

That's my exact point - Chiarelli had one massive flaw and that was managing the salary cap and contracts. If there were no salary cap things would be different. We fortunately got to see 6th line center Kelly for a few too many seasons instead of, say, retaining Boychuk.

I guess he technically had a second massive flaw around external talent evaluation (Seguin trade) but in his early years it was not a flaw.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
That's my exact point - Chiarelli had one massive flaw and that was managing the salary cap and contracts. If there were no salary cap things would be different. We fortunately got to see 6th line center Kelly for a few too many seasons instead of, say, retaining Boychuk.

I guess he technically had a second massive flaw around external talent evaluation (Seguin trade) but in his early years it was not a flaw.

it is what it is now, just thought we had a great thing going with Chia and Claude and it bothers me we don't have it anymore. At least Montreal stinks.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
it is what it is now, just thought we had a great thing going with Chia and Claude and it bothers me we don't have it anymore. At least Montreal stinks.

For a while they did have a great thing going, mistakes made after the Cup win, both gone and this fan is AOK with it

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

We didn't have it since 2013, even when they were still here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad