GDT: Game 49: Sabres vs Blue Jackets - 1/29 7pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
Is it possible that Housley wanted to spare Pilut the back-to-back this week? Not sure why you'd choose Dallas over cbj though...

swisssabre

Jul 18, 2015
I think we're going to be VERY rusty. I'm bracing for a terrible 1st and then an uptick in play as the game goes on.
My "fear" too. I watched the Devils yesterday, THAT's how I expect the Sabres to show up in Columbus.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
A culture of competition is an incredible thing when an organization employs it rigorously. It turns lost teams trying to find their way into good teams. It turns good teams into great franchises. If you don't think the New England Patriots are currently cheaters, and picture the New England Patriots and the "culture vibe" that emanates from them, that's exactly it.

As soon as it takes a back seat, for any reason at all, or employs ambiguity beyond simple waiver issues and such, it is meaningless. If you broadly picture the 2017-19 Buffalo Sabres, the feeling and vibe you pick up is that of fake-accountability. And it's not as simple as the vet/coach thing, letting Pilut watch from the press box. This can be a tool at a coach's disposal without destroying the culture of accountability.

It's the drawn-out process of treating Mitts and Thompson fundamentally different than Smith and Nylander despite the team being demonstrably worse for doing so. The exclusion of ROR trade pieces from the healthy scratch parade whose contents were, every single one of them, better than 17/72 at the time. Not the decision to play Scandella tonight, but continuing to trot him out in top 4 minutes over 50 game stretches no matter what happens. This kind of stuff erodes that culture and you get an organization that emanates an off-cheese smell rather than a place where, top to bottom, greatness this moment, next moment, next year, and next decade is the sole focus.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Gloom and freaking doom around here yeesh.

Cmon bros, they haven't played in a long time, let's not get too down about Pilut not being in there.

Reactions: Onry

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Man, the Blue Jackets would be viewed as a much better team if they didn't draw the cup winners in the first round of the last two playoffs.

They're scary, and they're good at hockey. Their defense is brilliant, their forwards are heavy and painful to play against, and with Panarin are skilled enough to beat many teams in track meets if that's what the game turns into.

Tough game to have right out of the gate - but maybe it wakes us up.

We need them to trade Panarin and Bob so they become the attainable WC team (I'm going to ride the hope train while I still can - sinking feeling that it's gone by Valentine's day)

swisssabre

Jul 18, 2015
Are you implying staying negative does? :laugh:
Haha good one. Nope, but I'm not happy with the actual mentality of the group in general. Really hope the A* weekend lifted Eichel & Skinner up. Need our first line scoring back, like NOW.
Very important game vs CBJ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad