GDT: Game 48 | Detroit Red Wings @ Dallas Stars | 7:00 PM EST | NBC Sports, FS-D

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Brunner and Nyquist on the same line is not a good thing. They are both very very very one dimensional and Andersson is responsible but you can't expect him to cover for two defensive dumbasses. If Nyquist and Brunner aren't scoring goals, they're liabilities.

kbot

Apr 27, 2013
that line has spent 80 percent of its time in the offensive zone cycling down low creating scoring chances and drawing penalties they are clicking and have been one of the better 3 rd lines in the league since they were put together

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
that line has spent 80 percent of its time in the offensive zone cycling down low creating scoring chances and drawing penalties they are clicking and have been one of the better 3 rd lines in the league since they were put together

Andersson has been a very pleasant surprise. I have become a big fan of his game. My one concern would be having Nyquist and Brunner going up against a bigger team like Anaheim. In that one game where Nyquist took a bunch of penalties it was against a bigger team. I'm a Nyquist fan and I want him out there, the question will be how well they can match up against the Ducks.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
im still perplexed on how tatar came up first before gus and played great was gaining confidence great energy and then sent down never to be seen again...i hope they have a plan with him
Me too and I believe many posters. I think Tatar showed more than Andersson and Nyquist. I can't believe he does not play.
I wouldn't even think about splitting Pav and Z after this past week. IMO it's the best they've looked together since 08. In addition I think you continue to challenge Franzen to drive the play by allowing him to center Fil and Cleary.

Bert would be an upgrade over Cleary, but let's face it - Babcock isn't sitting Cleary. Cleary is one of those guys who has picked up his intensity level in past postseasons, so maybe he can show us a little something more come Game 1.

I don't think you make a lineup change until you lose at this point in time. Why would you? Bert and Sammy have barely played and are old. You have a team that is currently playing their best hockey of the season. You have to keep it rolling. If it was a noticeable upgrade like Helm or any of our other top 5 forwards you obviously play them if they're ready, but that's not the case with Bert and especially Sammy.

With all of that being said I wouldn't be shocked to see Bert playing on the 3rd or 4th line in place of Brunner, Tootoo, or Eaves. It's just not a move that I would make right now.
Agree, but I wonder if Brunner, Andersson and Nyquist should play in the playoffs over Bertuzzi/Samuelsson.
Anaheim is not nearly as strong as their seeding suggests. Very happy with this match-up.

Its crazy to think, but this might be the best case scenario for reaching the 2nd round.
The Ducks finished 13th last season. So are they really 2nd good?
Vancouver would have been better for us, but I agree with your point. Detroit has a decent shot against the Ducks.

I also think the Canucks would be an easier opponent, but I am not quite sure.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Brunner and Nyquist on the same line is not a good thing. They are both very very very one dimensional and Andersson is responsible but you can't expect him to cover for two defensive dumbasses. If Nyquist and Brunner aren't scoring goals, they're liabilities.

I haven't seen Nyquist make too many bad defensive plays. Actually the opposite. He's made some smart plays in our own end to get it out.

Aug 6, 2012
The Captain is coming up big in this game.

Andersson has been a very pleasant surprise. I have become a big fan of his game. My one concern would be having Nyquist and Brunner going up against a bigger team like Anaheim. In that one game where Nyquist took a bunch of penalties it was against a bigger team. I'm a Nyquist fan and I want him out there, the question will be how well they can match up against the Ducks.

I don't think that'll be as big of an issue as people are making it out to be. Anaheim isn't this huge physical team people make it out to be. Sure they have some guys with size (Perry, Getzlaf, Ryan) but they aren't like the Kings or Bruins in that department. Just ask Ducks fans.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Meh, no reason anymore to root for BJs, Minny, Avs, or Preds. I hope all 4 lose!

Right! It's been tiring having to watch what other teams do to determine our fate. I guess that's what it's like to be barely above 500, but it felt dirty.

And people will keep dumping on him if he falters in the playoffs. He's been awesome since the contract, but he hasn't earned it until he can bring this play into the post-season.

Good point. Did you hear the Datsyuk post-game? When asked about rating Howard's play he said "ask me again after the playoffs!" :laugh::amazed:

detroit should have gus shadowing dats on ice and off for as long as dats stay around....gus is something special i see dats in him he just needs to be as solid on his skates and mirror his moves he s got the hands and he wants it

I agree about the shadowing/mentoring (which happens anyways) but you know who reminds me most of Datsyuk? Our very own Filppula! Skating with the puck and a few of his moves I could swear he was #13. It happens to me quite a bit getting those 2 confused.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
And people will keep dumping on him if he falters in the playoffs. He's been awesome since the contract, but he hasn't earned it until he can bring this play into the post-season.

Why are Rinne, Lundqvist, Price, etc not held to the same standard?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Right! It's been tiring having to watch what other teams do to determine our fate. I guess that's what it's like to be barely above 500, but it felt dirty.

Good point. Did you hear the Datsyuk post-game? When asked about rating Howard's play he said "ask me again after the playoffs!" :laugh::amazed:

I agree about the shadowing/mentoring (which happens anyways) but you know who reminds me most of Datsyuk? Our very own Filppula! Skating with the puck and a few of his moves I could swear he was #13. It happens to me quite a bit getting those 2 confused.

That was hilarious.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wings will wind up surrendering the 5th fewest goals in the league at 115.

There are 6 ppg game players in the Western Conference. The Wings (Datsyuk & Zetterberg) and Chicago (Toews & Kane) each have two, Getzlaf and Hall being the other two.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013

rinne was insane in the playoffs last year. .929 sv% and 2.07 gaa. lundqvist was as well... .931% with 1.82 gaa... three shutouts, too. last time price was in the playoffs he put up a 2.11 gaa with a .934 sv%. just because they don't win the cup doesn't mean they haven't performed. jimmy has never had production like that in the postseason.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Wings will wind up surrendering the 5th fewest goals in the league at 115.

There are 6 ppg game players in the Western Conference. The Wings (Datsyuk & Zetterberg) and Chicago (Toews & Kane) each have two, Getzlaf and Hall being the other two.

Wow, that's real interesting. I did not know that, and I did not expect that with our defence. That's huge.

we like our team*

jimmy was great in the '11 playoffs. people have short memories.

DRWCountryClub

Jun 28, 2010
Datsyuk, +21 on this team, 49pts in 47 games, 56TkA which is tops in the NHL tied with Toews, 55% on the draws...

Just a great season, yet again.

Aug 6, 2012
Datsyuk, +21 on this team, 49pts in 47 games, 56TkA which is tops in the NHL tied with Toews, 55% on the draws...

Just a great season, yet again.

It's amazing how his +/- blows everyone out of the water. And it shows how all of his line,ages have better +/-'s. He's an expert in all three zones.

kbot

Apr 27, 2013
dats is the most talented player in the league hands down...his hands ,steals hockey smarts and with his growing age his calmness with and without the puck...he makes no mistakes never panics makes the game look effortless the little things he does ....his game leaves me in awe every night....and he is suprisingly solid for his size ive seen guys with 50 lbs on him try to level him and he leans in on them and sits them down even mid ice the guy can be working behind the net against 3 guys and come out with the puck....such a pleasure to watch

kbot

Apr 27, 2013
and giving z the c made him a monster with the puck i know sometimes he tried to do to much when we were struggling earlier in the season but man he is strong on that puck giving him the c was the best thing wings could do z is playing possessed

crashman

dats is the most talented player in the league hands down...his hands ,steals hockey smarts and with his growing age his calmness with and without the puck...he makes no mistakes never panics makes the game look effortless the little things he does ....his game leaves me in awe every night....and he is suprisingly solid for his size ive seen guys with 50 lbs on him try to level him and he leans in on them and sits them down even mid ice the guy can be working behind the net against 3 guys and come out with the puck....such a pleasure to watch

I agree. It's like he focuses on playing the guy defending him more than he focuses on playing the puck. You can see him looking at the other guys stick more than his own, it's amazing. He has the best view of the ice of any player I've ever seen.

He's like a forward version of Lidstrom, but with a Russian mean streak in him.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Eh, people said the same thing about Hank and Pavs back when we were losing to the Oil in the playoffs. I don't have any problem with our top guys being expected to bring it in the postseason. Howie was our MVP in my opinion and he's going to have to be our playoff MVP if we have any shot at beating the Ducks.

kbot

Apr 27, 2013
people have to stop coming down so hard on abby ...i have to admit i was as frustrated as everyone that he was who pav had on his wing BUT what he lacks in pure talent he makes up in work ethic he never slacks always finishes on the body grinds down low and never gives up on the puck...and as mentioned earlier and i think perfectly spoken he is taking on a homer esque roll and grabbing it by the balls hes causing havoc in net front batting and deflecting pucks finishing guys off and making space for himself and dats and z and he is finally feeling chemistry with there puck habits knowing where to go and when to go there...that line should not be changed even with players coming back...only changes should be cleary moving to the fourth line and moving people in out for the 4th line keeping them fresh and finishing every check all series

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Work ethic only makes up for it when you also have the skills to back it up.

Does Dan Cleary not work hard? Does anyone actually enjoy watching him struggle on the PP and second line?

kbot

Apr 27, 2013
don t even put abby and cleary in the same sentence ....abby has fallen into his role on that line in place of homer ...homer couldn t skate as fast couldn t hit as hard and he chipped the puck when he tried to stick handle but he was great on that line big body in front of the net deflecting pucks causing havoc and retrieving and grinding out pucks in the corners and they read each others thoughts cause they played together so long and abby is getting there is all im saying

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad