6:30 PM

Lines Brought to You By:| http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/
V8bkfmN.png
|
uDbmjgl.png

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I think they should "over cook" his rehab, make sure he is ready before he comes back;)

I wonder if his hernia was the reason for his poor performance. With any luck, he'll come back as an excellent goalie. I could see a hernia causing problems with closing the 5 hole and lateral mobility, both of which were very poor this year. I had no problems (surprise, surprise) with Smith's glove hand, which had previously been his weakness.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I wonder if his hernia was the reason for his poor performance. With any luck, he'll come back as an excellent goalie. I could see a hernia causing problems with closing the 5 hole and lateral mobility, both of which were very poor this year. I had no problems (surprise, surprise) with Smith's glove hand, which had previously been his weakness.

For me it's gotten to the point where I refuse to make excuses for him. I did that for the first 2 bad years and won't do it again

cobra427

May 6, 2012
For me it's gotten to the point where I refuse to make excuses for him. I did that for the first 2 bad years and won't do it again

When Smith comes back and is ready, he and LD are our 2 goalies. LD stays as the starter, until he cools off. Smith gets a game here and there, but that is it, unless he throws shut outs. Hopefully, this will make Smith hungry. I don't see LD going back down but I see Lindback being cut.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
When Smith comes back and is ready, he and LD are our 2 goalies. LD stays as the starter, until he cools off. Smith gets a game here and there, but that is it, unless he throws shut outs. Hopefully, this will make Smith hungry. I don't see LD going back down but I see Lindback being cut.

I think that might be the approach, but with Tippett, you never know. If anything, Smith as backup could be spinned as making sure that he recovers fully for next season since Domingue has done well.

Of course, there's a chance we could trade Domingue at the deadline (I truly hope not--but Smith will be the starter until we perhaps buy him out next season); we could get a nice return for him (which may include a #2 goalie which Domingue has pretty much shown he is above)

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

Who's making excuses? I want to know what might have caused Smith's streak of bad play.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I think that might be the approach, but with Tippett, you never know. If anything, Smith as backup could be spinned as making sure that he recovers fully for next season since Domingue has done well.

Of course, there's a chance we could trade Domingue at the deadline (I truly hope not--but Smith will be the starter until we perhaps buy him out next season); we could get a nice return for him (which may include a #2 goalie which Domingue has pretty much shown he is above)

We shouldn't trade Domingue. He should be kept as the successor to Smith.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I think Smith will get more than a game or two. Smith was on a very short leash before his injury so they may want to see if his poor play was due to injury. If he has not improved I could see DT play LD lots to see if he is the real deal or not.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I don't think you will get diddely squat for LD.:)

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Ummmm..... NO

Hard to say - our defense has improved since Smith was last in the net (coincidence?!?). In all honesty, we have been playing better D in front of Domingue, but I think that if Smith played in those games, we definitely would have lost a few more games than we won or took to OT. Smith was fighting the puck. A LOT. I mean, Domingue could have the same thing happen to him in the 2nd half of the season, but he has also done some little things like controlling rebounds effectively that Smith used to do and do well. Maybe the injury was affecting him more and more, b/c early in the season, Smith looked on his game...

This coming from one of the biggest Smith (and goalie supporters, in general) out there...

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Who's making excuses? I want to know what might have caused Smith's streak of bad play.

my comment wasn't directed toward you so much as myself. I was a huge Smith advocate for the longest time but now its to the point where in my mind I just can't justify it any more. He CAN be good but his stretches of bad far outweigh his stretches of good. Sure the D has gotten better but if you throw him back in net, i'm not expecting anything different. Streaks of solid play followed by longer streaks of soft goals and sprawling to make saves when its totally unnecessary. I hope to god im wrong and he can regain some composure but its the "Fool me once" Scenario to me.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I think his hernia might have limited his vertical mobility; he might have cheated around it by dropping early into the butterfly, which he did quite a bit of early in the season.

But I don't think the hernia accounts for his terrible decision-making or his needlessly extravagant first-save flops that left the net open for easy rebounds or things of that nature. I think the best we can hope for is that Smith's gaffes in the net are more limited when he comes back.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Wild have been terrible lately, hopefully we can use that to continue getting out of our micro funk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad