GDT: Game 48: Columbus at Tampa Bay | 1/31 7:30PM EST

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I really don't know what you expect from him. He clears it to his right he will bank it in off the guy who missed the first rebound, if he clears it to his left it gets picked off, if he leaves it there it gets put in. That puck was going to go in. His issue was he didn't lift it.

Personally, I think he's been one of our better forwards recently. He's showing some offensive flare with Anisimov, and he's done his job in his own end. Maybe he would benefit more in Springfield for his offensive game, but the experience in the NHL is also something valuable. He will go to Springfield for their playoffs and we'll see. For now, the seasons already lost, lets see if he can continue improving for next year. People will assume he's "my guy" from my username, and I do like him alot, but seriously, my favorite player is Boone Jenner.

I agree he's been better lately and the season is lost. I said tonight that Boone has been our most missed player, it really is apparent how much he drives the bus when he's gone for long stretches. I stand by saying our biggest problem offensively is our lack of talented D. Cotton has gone back to mediocre, he was our only hope...

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I agree he's been better lately and the season is lost. I said tonight that Boone has been our most missed player, it really is apparent how much he drives the bus when he's gone for long stretches. I stand by saying our biggest problem offensively is our lack of talented D. Cotton has gone back to mediocre, he was our only hope...

Not sure about Boone but offense starts in the backend.... That said, the Jackets have issues all over the ice.... They are not this hard working scrappy team moniker as in the past... Atkinson and Calvert are not what they were after Kek moved DMac... The Jackets have a lot of soul searching to do over the summer.... We need better goal tending than Bob and Mac too.... they are not good enough as a pair...

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Not sure about Boone but offense starts in the backend.... That said, the Jackets have issues all over the ice.... They are not this hard working scrappy team moniker as in the past... Atkinson and Calvert are not what they were after Kek moved DMac... The Jackets have a lot of soul searching to do over the summer.... We need better goal tending than Bob and Mac too.... they are not good enough as a pair...

I actually think Calvert has been really good lately, not goal scoring wise, but he's our best penalty killer and has regained his speed and forechecking. I think we aren't as gritty and tough and that's a big reason we aren't winning. Last year we punished teams and were all over them. I do think DMac and Comeau were much much more effective in setting the pace then Chaput, Gibbons, Tropp, Collins, Skille, etc. have been. They were the type of players that are our identity. Huge mistake assuming all these young guys would be ready. I don't blame the goaltending, we haven't lost too many games that the goalies were the reason. Usually if they are bad, we only score 1 goal, so it doesn't matter much. Wiz hasn't been nearly as good at getting shots through this year, no rebounds to be had, shoots a lot into the shin guards...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I actually think Calvert has been really good lately, not goal scoring wise, but he's our best penalty killer and has regained his speed and forechecking. I think we aren't as gritty and tough and that's a big reason we aren't winning. Last year we punished teams and were all over them. I do think DMac and Comeau were much much more effective in setting the pace then Chaput, Gibbons, Tropp, Collins, Skille, etc. have been. They were the type of players that are our identity. Huge mistake assuming all these young guys would be ready. I don't blame the goaltending, we haven't lost too many games that the goalies were the reason. Usually if they are bad, we only score 1 goal, so it doesn't matter much. Wiz hasn't been nearly as good at getting shots through this year, no rebounds to be had, shoots a lot into the shin guards...

I agree on the grit part. Calvert is only gritty when the game calls for it. Our forecheck is also lacking from last year without a fully healthy Dubi, Jenner, Letestu and minus DMac and Comeau. Usually Dubi sets the tone with his gritty work but he's still tentative with his abdomen. Our bottom 6 guys aren't gritty at all, and guys who are getting paid to be gritty aren't doing it (Boll, Tropp, Hartnell and Dubi to an extent) But the good part is grit is always available in UFA. We can easily get another Blake Comeau.

Last edited:

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I agree on the grit part. Calvert is only gritty when the game calls for it. Usually Dubi sets the tone with his gritty work but he's still tentative with his abdomen. Our bottom 6 guys aren't gritty at all, and guys who are getting paid to be gritty aren't doing it (Boll, Tropp, Hartnell and Dubi to an extent) But the good part is grit is always available in UFA. We can easily get another Blake Comeau.

Yeah, we need to remake our bottom 6, which will happen a bit just from being healthy and pushing guys down the lineup. I think Gibbons, Atkinson, Morin, Tropp, Chaput, Wiz, Tyutin, Collins, Anisimov, Skille need to be gone, and the one that won't be a popular pick, Letestu, he is ok but doesn't fit the skill set of a bottom 6 player and doesn't have the speed for a top 6 player. If we are going to take it to the next level, we need to increase speed and he drags us down.

Foligno-Johansen- FA
Boone- Dubi- Hartnell
Rychel- Wennberg-Anderson
Calvert- FA- Boll/fighter with skill

FA-FA
Murray-Savard
Johnson-Cotton
Prout

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Yeah, we need to remake our bottom 6, which will happen a bit just from being healthy and pushing guys down the lineup. I think Gibbons, Atkinson, Morin, Tropp, Chaput, Wiz, Tyutin, Collins, Anisimov, Skille need to be gone, and the one that won't be a popular pick, Letestu, he is ok but doesn't fit the skill set of a bottom 6 player and doesn't have the speed for a top 6 player. If we are going to take it to the next level, we need to increase speed and he drags us down.

Foligno-Johansen- FA
Boone- Dubi- Hartnell
Rychel- Wennberg-Anderson
Calvert- FA- Boll/fighter with skill

FA-FA
Murray-Savard
Johnson-Cotton
Prout

Tbh I'd rather have Morin than have an entire 3rd line of 21 year olds. Seems like what we went through this year although unnecessary. I also don't see both Arty and Letestu leaving, choose one, and I'd rather have Arty, but I'd also like to keep Letestu. I agree on ditching one of Cam/Calvert. Nobody is taking Tyutin, and I think he's been fine this year. Nothing special, but does his job. That's who Tyutin is. I also don't see any changes to the D other than maybe JJ getting traded.

I think we're going to see a similar team next year as the one this year. They'll chalk it up to injuries. The Free Agent market is terrible this year and I hope they stay away from it except for 4th line grinders. Trade market is the only chance for a major addition, but I could only see this becoming an option if a team like San Jose implodes in the playoffs, or if the cap goes barely up.

They'll subtract guys like Skille, Leopold, Gibbons (I wouldn't be apposed to having Skille and Gibbons on Two way deals), Atkinson/Calvert, Goloubef, etc. Nobody major.

Foligno-Joey-Boone
Hartnell-Dubi-Morin
Calvert-Anisimov/Wennberg-Anisimov/Wennberg
??-Letestu-??
Boll, Tropp (Since he has another year on his deal)

Johnson-Savard
Murray-Wiz
Tyutin-Connauton
Prout

Bob
Probably McElhinney. But I would prefer someone else

Rychel and Anderson can battle with Calvert and Wennberg for the 3rd line roles. Only Anderson can maybe carry a 4th line role, but even then I'd rather him get minutes in Springfield.

Last edited:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Foligno-Joey-Boone
Hartnell-Dubi-Morin
??-Letestu-??

what has wennberg done to suggest he should get a guaranteed spot over rychel/dano/Anderson?
Really hoping if anyone is up here its rychel (well really Bjork but that wont happen) bc him and boone had chemistry

Hartnell Johansen Foligno
Jenner Dubinsky Rychel
Calvert Anisimov Atkinson
?? Letestu ??

or
Jenner Johansen Foligno
Hartnell Dubinsky Rychel
?? Letestu ??

not only do I not see wennberg as ready to make an impact but I think if he goes to springy he can maybe a top line guy on the wing or a really good 2c

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Quinn

May 20, 2014
I don't see why guys like Calvert and Atkinson keep getting passes from people. They have been bad to terrible about 80-90% of the year and fans still give them a break. If constantly battling to get the 8th seed makes you happy then those 2 are your guys because that's about the ceiling for this team as long as they are counted on as top 9 players. They are more part of the problem than the solution. A couple nice games every month doesn't cut it. They can skate hard and play hard all they want, they're just not very good.
Like the poster above said, the entire bottom 6 needs a makeover. The team is going nowhere with Skille, Tropp, Morin, Boll, Calvert, and Atkinson in the lineup.

Skille, Tropp, Calvert and Atkisnon are basically the same player. They skate hard, make an occasional play, but, for the most part, are pretty much wasted ice time. Heck, Jordan Leopold, playing out of position last night was every bit as effective, or ineffective, as those guys.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I don't see why guys like Calvert and Atkinson keep getting passes from people. They have been bad to terrible about 80-90% of the year and fans still give them a break. If constantly battling to get the 8th seed makes you happy then those 2 are your guys because that's about the ceiling for this team as long as they are counted on as top 9 players. They are more part of the problem than the solution. A couple nice games every month doesn't cut it. They can skate hard and play hard all they want, they're just not very good.
Like the poster above said, the entire bottom 6 needs a makeover. The team is going nowhere with Skille, Tropp, Morin, Boll, Calvert, and Atkinson in the lineup.

Skille, Tropp, Calvert and Atkisnon are basically the same player. They skate hard, make an occasional play, but, for the most part, are pretty much wasted ice time. Heck, Jordan Leopold, playing out of position last night was every bit as effective, or ineffective, as those guys.

I think Calvert is effective every single game with his speed, penalty killing and forechecking. I really liked our 4th line the other night with him on it, they looked much better. He is a heart and soul guy, he battles every night, you need that guy on the squad. Atkinson on the other hand doesn't add much of anything this year and I hope they package him and move him

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
what has wennberg done to suggest he should get a guaranteed spot over rychel/dano/Anderson?
Really hoping if anyone is up here its rychel (well really Bjork but that wont happen) bc him and boone had chemistry

Hartnell Johansen Foligno
Jenner Dubinsky Rychel
?? Letestu ??

or
Jenner Johansen Foligno
Hartnell Dubinsky Rychel
?? Letestu ??

not only do I not see wennberg as ready to make an impact but I think if he goes to springy he can maybe a top line guy on the wing or a really good 2c

I agree that in a totally healthy lineup, Wennberg isn't guaranteed a spot as of now, he really needs to improve his face offs and shooting the puck more

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Tbh I'd rather have Morin than have an entire 3rd line of 21 year olds. Seems like what we went through this year although unnecessary. I also don't see both Arty and Letestu leaving, choose one, and I'd rather have Arty, but I'd also like to keep Letestu. I agree on ditching one of Cam/Calvert. Nobody is taking Tyutin, and I think he's been fine this year. Nothing special, but does his job. That's who Tyutin is. I also don't see any changes to the D other than maybe JJ getting traded.

I think we're going to see a similar team next year as the one this year. They'll chalk it up to injuries. The Free Agent market is terrible this year and I hope they stay away from it except for 4th line grinders. Trade market is the only chance for a major addition, but I could only see this becoming an option if a team like San Jose implodes in the playoffs, or if the cap goes barely up.

They'll subtract guys like Skille, Leopold, Gibbons (I wouldn't be apposed to having Skille and Gibbons on Two way deals), Atkinson/Calvert, Goloubef, etc. Nobody major.

Foligno-Joey-Boone
Hartnell-Dubi-Morin
??-Letestu-??

Johnson-Savard
Murray-Wiz
Tyutin-Connauton
Prout

Bob
Probably McElhinney. But I would prefer someone else

Rychel and Anderson can battle with Calvert and Wennberg for the 3rd line roles. Only Anderson can maybe carry a 4th line role, but even then I'd rather him get minutes in Springfield.

They could also trade for the spots I marked FA. They need to replace Horton on the top line. And clean house to be a cup contender, you aren't winning anything with Morin and Letestu on the squad. And leaving the defense the exact same would be suicide

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
They could also trade for the spots I marked FA. They need to replace Horton on the top line. And clean house to be a cup contender, you aren't winning anything with Morin and Letestu on the squad. And leaving the defense the exact same would be suicide

I don't get the disdain for Letestu. He's a cheap and versatile forward. He is effective on the PK and can be slotted into all types of roles.

Here are Letestu's points produced per 60 minutes 5 vs 5 since he's been a CBJ (rank on team in parenthesis):

2011-12........1.38 (8)
2012-13........1.96 (4)
2013-14.......1.34 (12)
2014-15......1.95 (3)

In 2013-14, he had 5g and 6a in an average of 1:13 TOI per game on the PP-for a 6.59 points produced per 60 minutes 5 vs 4. That ranked #1 on the team.

This season, in limited duty, he ranks first on the team in goals produced 5 vs 5 (1.17 per 60 minutes).

I would think that a player like Letestu is precisely what a championship-caliber team needs in a bottom 6 type of player.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
[NHL]2014020735-611-h[/NHL]

You mean his crease clearing attempt? He supposed to let it sit there in the crease..? Or...?

Of all the Wennberg critical assessments, that's by far the most questionable one.

It's funny you say that. He still has more points than 'your boy' Jared Boll. Actually, he has as many goals as he does points..in less games.

Yes, but based in their play it's like arguing about who's the worlds tallest midget.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
You're nuts if you think we should get rid of Letestu. Everyone is aware of the need to improve production at right wing, so I'll go off the board and suggest this: we also need to improve our hockey IQ.

No one has ever accused us of being the smartest team in the league. That's expected from the young kids, but witness some of the stupid plays made by Wisniewski, Dubinsky and of course, Boll. That combined with youth is not a great recipe for smart hockey.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I missed most of the game too.... caught the second half of the game.... In a nutshell the CBJ were down the entire game but collapsed in the third... Bishop should have had a shutout...

The Jackets stunk tonight regardless of what some say here.... they had no heart to win.... NONE!!!!!!!!!

You lost me on this one. I'll simply disagree with you. All three goals against were very bad mistakes in their own zone. Wiz needs to do better on the first goal, McElhinney needs to direct rebounds away from the crease (as does Wennberg on goal #2) and I'm not sure Savard could make a worse pass on the third goal. Can't make those mistakes and stay in a game but I didn't seem them lacking heart. Some skill and some luck but they played until the end in my opinion.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
You're nuts if you think we should get rid of Letestu. Everyone is aware of the need to improve production at right wing, so I'll go off the board and suggest this: we also need to improve our hockey IQ.

No one has ever accused us of being the smartest team in the league. That's expected from the young kids, but witness some of the stupid plays made by Wisniewski, Dubinsky and of course, Boll. That combined with youth is not a great recipe for smart hockey.

I agree with Lee, but in addition to IQ we also need to improve our conditioning. In order to play "Blue Jackets hockey" or a very gritty, tough to play against style, our players have to be able to skate hard all game. They'll need to be able to close gaps quickly and win tough battles in dirty areas. That's currently something that we're struggling with. Instead, teams are quickly closing with our guys and forcing turnovers and bad situations. We don't necessarily have to be fast (although that's a stated goal of Kekkalainen's), but we need to be able to come out strong and maintain an oppressive tempo throughout. Which requires being very well conditioned. Further, good conditioning should help with some of our injury concerns (doesn't do much for broken hands but it can help with groins or lower body injuries).

We were missing Ryan Murray until last night. He, along with Johansen, are the highest hockey IQ guys we have. But yes we need to be better all around. Letestu has decent hockey IQ, I hope Wennberg can develop it, but we do have more than our fair share of boneheads. Guys like Johnson, Wisniewski, Savard, Boll, even Dubinsky and Hartnell aren't there because they're hockey masterminds.

Last night we made some boneheaded plays which cost us. However, for most of the night we skated right alongside and matched the most dangerous home team in the league.

One last thing. I don't really care much about who the captain is or isn't. However, it's becoming clear the question is less "should it be Dubi, Johnson, or Foligno" and more "who will it be between Jenner and Murray." After listening to Murray's postgame interviews, I was very impressed. He's very smart, well spoken, and serious. Jenner is very much about heart and leading by example (he isn't bad from what I've seen in front of the cameras) but Murray seems very well composed even when microphones are shoved in his face. Also I expect Murray will be leading our blueline very shortly.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

I just don't see under any scenario that they clean house. I think the biggest name that could be moved is Calvert/Atkinson. They like the core of the team.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I just don't see under any scenario that they clean house. I think the biggest name that could be moved is Calvert/Atkinson. They like the core of the team.

I think Anisimov or Tyutin could get moved for the right deal. But I agree, guys like Johnson, Wisniewski, Savard, and Murray are here to stay (that's our top-4).

And then we have 5 of our top-6 pretty much here to stay in Johansen, Foligno, Dubinsky, Jenner, and Hartnell. That leaves a replacement for Horton on Right Wing.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I don't get the disdain for Letestu. He's a cheap and versatile forward. He is effective on the PK and can be slotted into all types of roles.

Here are Letestu's points produced per 60 minutes 5 vs 5 since he's been a CBJ (rank on team in parenthesis):

2011-12........1.38 (8)
2012-13........1.96 (4)
2013-14.......1.34 (12)
2014-15......1.95 (3)

In 2013-14, he had 5g and 6a in an average of 1:13 TOI per game on the PP-for a 6.59 points produced per 60 minutes 5 vs 4. That ranked #1 on the team.

This season, in limited duty, he ranks first on the team in goals produced 5 vs 5 (1.17 per 60 minutes).

I would think that a player like Letestu is precisely what a championship-caliber team needs in a bottom 6 type of player.

Couldn't agree more.....and thanks for providing the statistical support.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

I believe and I think they believe that Calvert is part of that core. Unfortunately, I think we are 3-4 years from winning a playoff series and contending if they don't make moves, then they are just hoping and waiting for the prospects to step up

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

2011-12........1.38 (8)
2012-13........1.96 (4)
2013-14.......1.34 (12)
2014-15......1.95 (3)

I don't disdain him at all, he just doesn't have the skill set, really just his speed, to play in the top 9 nor the grit to play on a checking line. Instead of comparing him to the bums we have, compare him to third line centers on cup contenders, that would be a more interesting stat. Being better than Chaput and the rest of the minor leaguers doesn't earn you a spot on a cup contending team where the playoffs get extremely physical. We don't need him killing penalties. Calvert and Dubi are far better and Anisimov is also equally as good or better

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I agree with Lee, but in addition to IQ we also need to improve our conditioning. In order to play "Blue Jackets hockey" or a very gritty, tough to play against style, our players have to be able to skate hard all game. They'll need to be able to close gaps quickly and win tough battles in dirty areas. That's currently something that we're struggling with. Instead, teams are quickly closing with our guys and forcing turnovers and bad situations. We don't necessarily have to be fast (although that's a stated goal of Kekkalainen's), but we need to be able to come out strong and maintain an oppressive tempo throughout. Which requires being very well conditioned. Further, good conditioning should help with some of our injury concerns (doesn't do much for broken hands but it can help with groins or lower body injuries).

We were missing Ryan Murray until last night. He, along with Johansen, are the highest hockey IQ guys we have. But yes we need to be better all around. Letestu has decent hockey IQ, I hope Wennberg can develop it, but we do have more than our fair share of boneheads. Guys like Johnson, Wisniewski, Savard, Boll, even Dubinsky and Hartnell aren't there because they're hockey masterminds.

Last night we made some boneheaded plays which cost us. However, for most of the night we skated right alongside and matched the most dangerous home team in the league.

One last thing. I don't really care much about who the captain is or isn't. However, it's becoming clear the question is less "should it be Dubi, Johnson, or Foligno" and more "who will it be between Jenner and Murray." After listening to Murray's postgame interviews, I was very impressed. He's very smart, well spoken, and serious. Jenner is very much about heart and leading by example (he isn't bad from what I've seen in front of the cameras) but Murray seems very well composed even when microphones are shoved in his face. Also I expect Murray will be leading our blueline very shortly.

Your whole first paragraph is pretty much the reasons why we SHOULDNT keep Letestu

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I don't disdain him at all, he just doesn't have the skill set, really just his speed, to play in the top 9 nor the grit to play on a checking line. Instead of comparing him to the bums we have, compare him to third line centers on cup contenders, that would be a more interesting stat. Being better than Chaput and the rest of the minor leaguers doesn't earn you a spot on a cup contending team where the playoffs get extremely physical. We don't need him killing penalties. Calvert and Dubi are far better and Anisimov is also equally as good or better

His numbers say he's a legit NHL top 9er or at least borderline. He's not a burner....so what? He's not an awful skater. At his price (I'll assume $2 million for the next 2 years), he's a great depth player and his versatility makes him a very worthwhile piece of the CBJ puzzle.

Feel free to compare him with players you think we should get in place of him. I'm willing to reconsider based on what you might find.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad