GDT: Game 48: Columbus at Tampa Bay | 1/31 7:30PM EST

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
You're a total mess with stats. Stop comparing guys to Letestu who get more minutes. Either compare guys who get the same minutes or look at scoring rates per minute.

Letestu, as usual, scores at a pretty good rate. Third on the team, right beyond Foligno and Johansen. If anything it suggests he'd be a fine player on the first line wing.

He said he was a "legit top 9 player" so why would I compare him to 4th line centers? I said there is probably a small uptick from playing on the third line but not significant, Letestu has got more minutes than most 4th line players, he's taken shifts higher in the lineup in games and kills penalties. I'm not digging so deep as to compare TOI amongst all the players. We are 26th in the league right now, do you want to bring the same team back next year?? Something has to change.

Please tell me your lineup for next year and what moves you would make, you can call me a mess all you want, tell me who you would change that takes us from the basement to a powerhouse??

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
You're a total mess with stats. Stop comparing guys to Letestu who get more minutes. Either compare guys who get the same minutes or look at scoring rates per minute.

Letestu, as usual, scores at a pretty good rate. Third on the team, right beyond Foligno and Johansen. If anything it suggests he'd be a fine player on the first line wing.

If you are going to use stats per 60 min as the bible of stats, then Boll is better than Wennberg in your argument because he plays more minutes with more talented players and PP time and is only a tick higher than Boll in the stats per 60 min...not saying Boll should play over Wennberg, just don't agree with that kind of stat.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Legit top 9er?? 21 Third line centers in the league have more pts per game than Letestu. The reason I used the third lines, because he isn't physical enough to be on the 4th line. Yes I understand he might get a couple more points playing on a third line, but not significantly. He's a smart player, great guy, but I just don't see him being our 4th line center, and he can't play higher up in the lineup if we are going to be a cup contender. I'm not talking, make the playoffs, I'm talking cup contender. San Jose's third line center has 25 goals already...

Here's what I come up with Letestu relative to all other centers in the league.

He's played in 20 games. I used 46 games as average amount played among all centers (may be off by a few either way).

Letestu has 5 goals in 20 games. Over 46 games at the same pace, he'd have 11.5. Round down to 11 and he'd slot at a tie for 43rd in goals scored by centers this season in the entire NHL.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20152ALLCACALL&viewName=summary&sort=goals&pg=2

It's also fair to point out that many players are classified as centers who don't play that position. The Jackets, for instance have had 11 different players listed as centers on nhl.com, but many of those-Wennberg and Jenner-have played most of their time at wing.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20152CBJCACALL&sort=goals&viewName=summary

The implication of this is that Letestu-in goals per game-has produced even better than his tie for 43rd among all centers. It places him, in fact, in the upper mid range, of all second line centers at his pace of goals scored. His assists aren't at that level, but you try making scorers out of Tropp, Cracknell, Gibbons, and the Boller:)

I'm not suggesting that Letestu is a second line center, but he has scored goals at a pace so far this season (in an acknowledged limited sample) that puts him in that category.

I agree that this team needs changes to move up another level. I just think that Letestu is a valuable contributor who has a place with a top contending team. I've advocated a major trade to get Eichel. The only untouchables on this team as far as I'm concerned are Bob and Joey.

Last edited:

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Here's what I come up with Letestu relative to all other centers in the league.

He's played in 20 games. I used 46 games as average amount played among all centers (may be off by a few either way).

Letestu has 5 goals in 20 games. Over 46 games at the same pace, he'd have 11.5. Round down to 11 and he'd slot at a tie for 43rd in goals scored by centers this season in the entire NHL.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20152ALLCACALL&viewName=summary&sort=goals&pg=2

It's also fair to point out that many players are classified as centers who don't play that position. The Jackets, for instance have had 11 different players listed as centers on nhl.com, but many of those-Wennberg and Jenner-have played most of their time at wing.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20152CBJCACALL&sort=goals&viewName=summary

The implication of this is that Letestu-in goals per game-has produced even better than his tie for 43rd among all centers. It places him, in fact, in the upper mid range, of all second line centers at his pace of goals scored. His assists aren't at that level, but you try making scorers out of Tropp, Cracknell, Gibbons, and the Boller:)

I'm not suggesting that Letestu is a second line center, but he has scored goals at a pace so far this season (in an acknowledged limited sample) that puts him in that category.

I agree that this team needs changes to move up another level. I just think that Letestu is a valuable contributor who has a place with a top contending team. I've advocated a major trade to get Eichel. The only untouchables on this team as far as I'm concerned are Bob and Joey.

All fair points, I just said in my opinion, he isn't what we need AT the next level, he's servicable for now, decent, but he isn't taking us to where we need to be. That's my opinion, you are welcome to yours. I also think Atkinson needs to go, as well as a few defensemen, but I know a complete overhaul is not going to happen this year. I was just speculating as to what needs to happen to be a cup contender down the road. I think JK's stance is wait for the kids to be ready and hope for the best, I think we are waiting 3 years for this team to complete his vision. I'm tired of waiting...I would sacrifice a first rounder +Atkinson this year for an NHL proven #1 Defensemen or #1 line wing.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Are we going to continue to carry 9 D and likely get caught with 11F's (something Jarmo said he'd never let happen again last season)? What a joke.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Eh, I blame them for letting Mackenzie and Comeau go, and then buying too high on Gaborik followed by selling too low. But those are relatively minor things.

Yep, yep, I totally agree, and yes they are minor issues imo.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Yep, yep, I totally agree, and yes they are minor issues imo.

Mackenzie got a longer-term deal (he's not exactly lighting it up in Florida, btw) and Comeau took a pay CUT to play for a contender, suggesting he didn't want to come back here.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Mackenzie got a longer-term deal (he's not exactly lighting it up in Florida, btw) and Comeau took a pay CUT to play for a contender, suggesting he didn't want to come back here.

Funny how Florida has turned things around since his arrival though...not saying it's all him, obviously, but he's a guy you want in your room. We should have offered him 3 years, he was only 32, not like he was 40 and he was a better skater than most everyone we have. I'm not sure the details on Comeau, but it seemed that he wasn't offered a contract because him and Tropp were similar, Tropp got a one way contract, which is crazy, and Comeau walked. I would have done the opposite. I wonder if his fight with Dubi in practice played a part in not offering him a contract?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Funny how Florida has turned things around since his arrival though...not saying it's all him, obviously, but he's a guy you want in your room. We should have offered him 3 years, he was only 32, not like he was 40 and he was a better skater than most everyone we have. I'm not sure the details on Comeau, but it seemed that he wasn't offered a contract because him and Tropp were similar, Tropp got a one way contract, which is crazy, and Comeau walked. I would have done the opposite. I wonder if his fight with Dubi in practice played a part in not offering him a contract?

Let's be honest...Dmac has 3-4-7 (and is an astounding -10) in 47 games. He's not saving the season. Truthfully - I'm glad we're not paying him until he's 36. Good dude, loved him here, but no way we could go four years.

Don't know on Comeau either - we shouldn't just assume there was no contract offered. Who knows how it exactly played out.

Hindsight is 20/20, but with the injuries sustained...it really wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
All fair points, I just said in my opinion, he isn't what we need AT the next level, he's servicable for now, decent, but he isn't taking us to where we need to be. That's my opinion, you are welcome to yours. I also think Atkinson needs to go, as well as a few defensemen, but I know a complete overhaul is not going to happen this year. I was just speculating as to what needs to happen to be a cup contender down the road. I think JK's stance is wait for the kids to be ready and hope for the best, I think we are waiting 3 years for this team to complete his vision. I'm tired of waiting...I would sacrifice a first rounder +Atkinson this year for an NHL proven #1 Defensemen or #1 line wing.

I'm pretty sure we agree in principle. The Jackets must improve the roster to reach a cup-contending level.

I don't put near the faith in the prospects in the system that other do here. Although in all fairness, I really don't know enough about any of them to have developed an opinion regarding any of them with the exception of Wennberg. I hope the FO isn't "married" to the roster that we have because I think we're short of a fine-tuning stage. Overhaul isn't a necessity, but I think that the FO has to be gutsy in the trade market for this team to have a realistic chance to reach the upper echelon of the league.

We likely have the goaltending and the #1 center to reach for the stars, but beyond that we're lacking all departments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad