Pre-Game Talk: GAME #48 - Canucks @ Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
No injuries, please. Really don't care if we win or lose. Ideally, sit some of the core (Kesler, Burrows, Daniel, Hamhuis) and dress some farm hands.

I've always been against "resting" players in the healthy scratch sense. Instead, I'd just limit their minutes some, call up Schroeder and roll our third and fourth line 13-15 minutes. See what the kids can do well I'm at it.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Wasn't crazy about the 4th line experiment last game, just didn't work in my opinion. Wouldn't mind them trying a version of what they had in the 3rd period last game:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian/Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Burrows/Kassian
Higgins-Roy-Hansen
Pinner/Sestito-Lappy-Weise

I simply don't see a spot for Ebbett when this team is healthy. Good 13th forward but I don't see him as a regular contributer come playoff time.

It really is a shame we couldn't poach Torres, he would look much better than Pinner or Sestito on that 4th line.

What's the update on Pinner and Weise, are they both still injured?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

I don't think either are hurt. AV has commented on Weise saying that he isn't consistent enough, so I think this benching is meant to be an eye opener for him. Pinizzotto simply hasn't played well enough to earn a full-time spot, ditto for Sestito. So it'll be a revolving door between those two and Ballard for now.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

I like EF but his eastern bias is really showing here. Canucks have been playing 'ugly hockey' since the Nashville series in the 2010 playoffs and pretty much for all of last year.

He makes some good points about the sedins taking on more defensive responsibility but they did that under Crawford and many posters have called for less tilted o-zone starts for them on these boards for at least a year.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I don't think either are hurt. AV has commented on Weise saying that he isn't consistent enough, so I think this benching is meant to be an eye opener for him. Pinizzotto simply hasn't played well enough to earn a full-time spot, ditto for Sestito. So it'll be a revolving door between those two and Ballard for now.

Well, it's time to get Weise back in then. Unless there is something going on that we don't know about, Weise should be in over Ballard. I have no issue with AV experimenting the last few games mind you. If they wanted to get another look at Ballard on the wing that's fine, but come playoff time, Weise is a far better option.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
Honestly, I would probably rest Kesler, Daniel, Edler, and Hamhuis.

It would be pretty damn ugly, but with the way Edmonton's been playing, we might be able to sneak out of there with a SO win.

I definitely want to rest some of the defense, but that may be difficult since we already have Tanev and Bieksa out. And Kesler as well. I remember an Oiler trying to take his head off on the last day of the regular season. :help:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I would either scratch Kesler, or at least just limit his ES mins while taking him off the PK. Playing soft minutes against the Oilers should be fine. If we sit anyone on our backend, it would have to be Hamhuis, but even if he does play I hope they limit his mins to like 15 (although he only played 19:00 last game which is decent). Take Burrows off the PK as well.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Wasn't crazy about the 4th line experiment last game, just didn't work in my opinion. Wouldn't mind them trying a version of what they had in the 3rd period last game:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian/Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Burrows/Kassian
Higgins-Roy-Hansen
Pinner/Sestito-Lappy-Weise

I simply don't see a spot for Ebbett when this team is healthy. Good 13th forward but I don't see him as a regular contributer come playoff time.

It really is a shame we couldn't poach Torres, he would look much better than Pinner or Sestito on that 4th line.

Those lines just make too much sense therefor they wont happen. But seriously thos are what the lines should look like, have Kassian with the Sedins and have the old Burrows Kesler chemistry with Raymond who showed good chemistry with Burrows when Burrows was playing center and then the 3rd line was playing well together when Roy first came over and get Ballard back on D and get Ebbett in the press box

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
Hold on a second.....so everybody here was screaming for Roy and Kesler on the same line, and now we're calling AV an idiot because he has Roy and Kesler on the same line?

You guys are too much :laugh:

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
oil-tanker.jpg

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Hold on a second.....so everybody here was screaming for Roy and Kesler on the same line, and now we're calling AV an idiot because he has Roy and Kesler on the same line?

Who is everybody? We needed a 3C, and as soon as we get one we put him with Kesler. A lot of people want Roy as the 3C to spread out the scoring and give us three lines that can produce offensively.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Roy and Kesler should still be on the same line, as long as we call up Schroeder and replace Ebbett

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013

I like Kesler and Roy together, they're great. But not at the expensive of having Andrew Ebbett as your 3rd or 4th line center.

If the Canucks are unwilling to put Schroeder in as the 3rdC, then by all means, don't put Ebbett in there instead. The man's an AHL player, not an NHLer.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I like having Roy and Kesler on the same line if we are down a goal in the 3rd period and need to load up two lines. Otherwise, I have always preferred the balance of Roy centring the 3rd line with Higgins. It's nice that we have that option but I think our opponent and how the game is going will dictate the lines more than anything else.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Can we sit out key guys?

Higgins - Roy - Hansen
Ballard - Lappy - Kassian
Sestito - Ebbett - Weise
Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Edler - Bieksa
Alberts - Corrado
Barker - Joslin

Luongo

Give Garrison, Hamhuis, Schneider and Kesler the day off.

cutcopy

May 31, 2011
hmm.. I would like to see AV try Kassian with Roy and Higgins, and have Kesler with Raymond and Hansen--they can be the speedy line/checking line, perhaps they can even score on the rush or something. I just don't see the need for Kesler on the line with Roy because with Higgins back, having Kesler on that line is more of a luxury. Also, Ebbett needs to GTFO the roster.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
@ElliottPap5h
Sedins and Kesler won't be rested against Oil. Bieksa likely to play. Only Schneider and Tanev not on trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad