GDT: Game 48: Calgary Flames(23-17-9) @ Seattle Kraken(28-14-5) - 7:00 p.m. PT / 10:00 p.m. ET

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
After finally beating the Vancouver Canucks on Wednesday the Kraken are back at it against a division rival.
This time it's going to be the Calgary Flames who are coming of a 5-1 defeat at home against the Chicago Blackhawks and a playing the back end of a back-to-back.

The Kraken will need to try and use that to their advantage given that this game is very important in the playoff race.
The Flames are 5th in the division but are trailing the Kraken by just six points and this will also decide the season series(and potential tiebreaker) as both teams have won a game in those two previous meetings.

------------------------------------------------

Where?
Climate Pledge Arena, Seattle, WA
SPREAD-Roof-Exterior-Kraken_20211007_0007_1000px-1000x640.jpg

When?
07:1 p.m. PT / 10:00 pm. ET / 4:00 a.m. CET

How to watch?
ROOT-NW, SN1
------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Keys to the game

1) Play solid defensively

Just like against the Canucks, the Kraken will have to play focused and solid on defense. The Flames have been better as of late and do have to firepower to hurt you if you don't play solid in front of your own net.
So hopefully the Kraken will be good enough and don't end up like they did in their last matchup against hte Flames, where they made it to easy for their opponents to score.

2) Overcome offensive challenges
The Kraken have been scoring very well this season but are missing a couple of players which forces Hakstol to make some line changes and play guys higher in the lineup.
We also don't know the status of Matty Beniers, who took a bad hit by Tyler Myers and had his head take a bad bounce off the ice.
Therefore the team needs to find a way to keep playing their offensive style and create chances, even if guys are playing higher up and tougher matchups then they are used to.

3) Special Teams
During their game against the Canucs the Kraken were able to work on their special teams numbers killing all five of their penalties and scoring twice on three power plays.
The team will need to keep on doing that to improve those numbers and become solid on both special teams.
giphy.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i

Top Scorers:
Andre Burakovsky: 13(G) - 26(A) ---> 39 points
Jordan Eberle: 10(G) - 27(A) ---> 37 points
Matty Beniers: 17(G) - 19(A) ---> 36 points

Work Load:
Adam Larsson: 24:14 TOI/Game
Vince Dunn: 23:48 TOI/Game
Jamie Oleksiak: 19:08 TOI/Game

Netminders:
Martin Jones: 23-6-3 / .896(SV%) / 2.78 GAA
Philipp Grubauer: 4-8-2 / .893(SV%) / 3.18 GAA
Joey D'Accord: 1-0-0 / .900(SV%) / 4.00 GAA

i

Top Scorers:
Elias Lindholm: 14(G) - 28(A) ---> 42 points
Tyler Toffoli: 17(G) - 23(A) ---> 40 points
Nazem Kadri: 19(G) - 19(A) ---> 38 points

Work Load:
Rasmus Andersson: 24:43 TOI/Game
Noah Hanifin: 22:20 TOI/Game
Mackenzie Weegar: 20:44 TOI/Game

Netminders:
Jacob Markstrom: 13-13-5 / .893(SV%) / 2.86 GAA
Dan Vladar: 10-4-4 / .904(SV%) / 2.75 GAA
------------------------------------------------

This will be a very important one.

Like stated above, this game will decide the season series against the Flames and a win would also increase the lead to eight points for the Kraken.

The Flames, on the other hand, certainly want to win the season series as well, while cutting the Kraken lead to four points.
They also planned for it playing Markstrom yesterday against the Blackhawks and Vladar, who's been the better goalie, tonight in Seastle.

Anyways, let's hope the boys are up for it and as always...
giphy.gif

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Beniers confirmed as out tonight and tomorrow. Eff

Would suck if he missed the all star game.

I wouldn't be mad if we brought in more muscle to protect players like him.

Last edited:
Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
Beniers confirmed as out tonight and tomorrow. Eff

Would suck if he missed the all star game.

I wouldn't be mad if we brought in more muscle to protect players like him.
Yes, ignore what makes this team good in the first place. Let’s get big and bad! Tyler Myers for Vince Dunn?

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
I'm not saying that. It's not the first time though teams have dished it out to the likes of Beniers. For the play offs we may at times need a backup option if plan A doesn't work.
Oleksiak fought in reply. The hit and injury sucks, but you think a frustrated Meyers wouldn’t have done it if we had another big player?

Rangers would have been a lot better if they didn’t overreact to the ‘horrific act of violence’.

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
I'm not saying that. It's not the first time though teams have dished it out to the likes of Beniers. For the play offs we may at times need a backup option if plan A doesn't work.

Oleksiak fought in reply. The hit and injury sucks, but you think a frustrated Meyers wouldn’t have done it if we had another big player?

Rangers would have been a lot better if they didn’t overreact to the ‘horrific act of violence’.

The kraken are a bit soft. I hate saying that but it's true. I'm glad the big rig stepped up and fought Schenn but they do need more muscle/grit. I got 4/4 circled on the calendar. The Kraken better have a plan to deliver a message and the right players to deliver that message. The tricky part is doing that without compromising their overall game plan.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
the Calgary Flames who are coming of a 5-1 defeat at home against the Chicago Blackhawks and a playing the back end of a back-to-back.

After catching Vancouver on the tail end of a back to back in the last game, it sure did seem like the scheduling gods were kind to us this season.

A quick schedule search, and it looks like the Kraken have the second fewest back-to-backs this season with only 8, while they catch other teams on the tail end of their back-to-backs a league leading 16 times.

For some teams, that advantage is not as great, but for a team that skates as hard as Seattle does, this is a big advantage. Hopefully the league scheduler is a Kraken fan, and will be employed for many years ;)

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Calgary was looking past the BlackHawks. Kraken need to come out ready and willing even with some very good players out of their lineup!Good Luck to the Kraken,hope to see a 5-4 game in favor of the Good Guys of Course...Kraken!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad