BRUINS GDT GAME 48 7:08 PM - THE BEAR skates on the Rideau Canal - NESN, ESPN+, TSN5, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1706180391683.png

A night after having their nine-game point streak snapped, the Boston Bruins will visit the Atlantic Division rival Ottawa Senators for the first time this season on Thursday night to begin a two-game road trip before the All-Star break.

Fortunately for the Bruins, there is no time to dwell on their 3-2 home loss to the Carolina Hurricanes on Wednesday.

Brad Marchand's two third-period goals were not enough for the Bruins. Jordan Martinook's breakaway with 2:27 remaining gave Boston its first regulation setback since Jan. 4, ending a five-game winning streak and a 6-0-3 run.

"We've (responded to challenges) all year," Bruins forward Charlie Coyle said. "Sometimes, you've got to go through it to get better, but the effort has to be there. ... We've got to be on our toes and play hard. ... We've corrected things and we've gotten better from it."

While the comeback from a 2-0 deficit was strong, Boston's effort from puck drop and its management of the close-game situation were not.

"You've got to know we've done a great job of tying it 2-2. We don't need to force anything," Bruins coach Jim Montgomery said. "Points are valuable. It's a good lesson going into the playoffs. Momentum was on our side, the crowd's into it. ... You can't lose position and give up a breakaway."

Montgomery thought his team needed an offensive spark late against the Hurricanes, opting for a line of Marchand, Coyle and Trent Frederic.

Frederic assisted on both of Marchand's goals, giving him points in three straight and five of his past seven games.

Marchand is now tied with Ray Bourque for fifth on the Bruins' all-time goal-scoring list with 395.

Including Wednesday's loss, Boston is 4-3-1 in the first game of back-to-back sets this season. The Bruins are 3-2-2 in the second games.

After Linus Ullmark made 30 saves on Wednesday, Jeremy Swayman, who is 4-0-3 in his past seven starts, likely will start in the Bruins' goal at Ottawa.

The Senators will have the advantage of a day's rest as they search for a third consecutive win. They are coming off a 4-1 road triumph over the Montreal Canadiens on Tuesday.

While going 4-1-1 in its past six games, Ottawa has scored at least four goals on five occasions while allowing two or fewer three times.

"We're playing better defensively," Senators forward Shane Pinto said. "We're checking for our chances, we're not giving (up) much and we're just playing simple. We're bending, not breaking."

Interim coach Jacques Martin, who took over on Dec. 18 after D.J. Smith was fired, likes what he has seen from his team of late. He hopes that more of the same will continue against Boston in the opener of a three-game homestand leading up to the All-Star break.

"I look back at our last four games, we seem to be playing with more commitment away from the puck," Martin said. "There seems to be more of a focus of trusting each other and working together. Our penalty-killing was pretty good. We had to kill five penalties (against the Canadiens), and we did a good job."

Pinto, who scored a goal at Montreal, has logged points in each of his two games since returning from a 41-game suspension for activities related to sports wagering. Ottawa's Ridly Greig, Jake Sanderson and Mathieu Joseph also lit the lamp on Tuesday.

Senators defenseman Travis Hamonic will miss his second straight game after sustaining an upper-body injury in the first period of Ottawa's 5-3 win at Philadelphia on Sunday.

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
Can expect high energy from Brady. Didnt realize how good Giroux has been since going to Ottawa. Wonder if someone picks him up at the TDL. Hes at the perfect part of his career to do a little cup chasing.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Well better be ready as Ottawa has some very capable scores like Tkachuk, Giroux, Stutzle, Norris, Batherson, Tarasenko, etc. . They are also have a pretty fast team so the Bruins D must be ready from the get go.

Good luck.

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
On the road, back to back, that's the fact Jack. Time to get a grind on, muck up the middle, go off the glass, Superman Sway saves the day, pot a pretty power play, Freddy five on five and a bounce in off Captain Brad's butt, greasy goal retro road win. Time to dig deep and earn your stripes.

1706195534361.png

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
But it looks close!

I want to go to a game there.

It's about 15 miles.

It was a long time ago when I went to a game there with my son. We ckecked into the hotel downtown and the guy behind the desk asked if we were going to the game. I said yes. He said how are you getting there. I said we were driving. He said there was a bus to the game that left from right outside the hotel. Then he said, you don't want to get in that traffic. Beisdes, you'll want to have a few beers at the game, eh? Then I told my son, man, I love this place!

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Correct!

Not an easy drive from downtown Ottawa, especiall during the week.

Really? I hate the arena being in Kanata and want it downtown,

But I leave the outskirts of Orleans(east suburb) at like 6:20 and arrive at the dealership parking at like 6:45 (west suburb). Then I have a few beers and weed with my friends and walk to the rink at 7 and make it in our seat for puck drop at 7:10.

Also takes 30-45 minutes to get from the outskirts of the suburbs to right infront of parliament parked 4 floors underground.

The arena is super far out, but Ottawa is generally very light in traffic for cities of 1-2 million. It's easy to get anywhere around the city by car within 30 mins usually.

But it looks close!

I want to go to a game there.

Well Kanata is part of the city of Ottawa since 2001. You actually have to drive about 10 miles past the arena before you leave the city of Ottawa.

City of Ottawa limits. Arena is red pin. My suburb is blue circle. I generally get to games to the arena in 25 mins in the 6-7 o'clock before games.

1000001508.png

Last edited:

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Living here in Ottawa I can tell you that the Sens really get up for Boston. The Bruins even though they have been vastly superior to Ottawa for several years usually have a hard time matching their intensity which usually leads to very competitive games, expect the same tonight. The Leafs have this same problem with Ottawa, hard to get up for the bottom feeders.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Living here in Ottawa I can tell you that the Sens really get up for Boston. The Bruins even though they have been vastly superior to Ottawa for several years usually have a hard time matching their intensity which usually leads to very competitive games, expect the same tonight. The Leafs have this same problem with Ottawa, hard to get up for the bottom feeders.
Are you going to the game?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Don't you usually look to feast and get your cookies against bottom feeders?

I remember when Ottawa used to be good, almost every game against expansion teams like Atlanta or Columbus was a blow out win and guys like Alfredsson and Hossa would have like 3-4 points each or something.

Man it's been a while since Ottawa has had a good team :(

Must be nice lol

Reactions: BMC

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Don't you usually look to feast and get your cookies against bottom feeders?

I remember when Ottawa used to be good, almost every game against expansion teams like Atlanta or Columbus was a blow out win and guys like Alfredsson and Hossa would have like 3-4 points each or something.

Man it's been a while since Ottawa has had a good team :(

Must be nice lol
Ottawa will have a good team again. The Sens fans that come to the Garden are great! Nice folks.

NO ONE thought the Bruins would be doing this good this season.

Good Luck (except when you play the Bs)

Reactions: hrdpuk and BMC

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Well, they had a good 20 minute effort last night. They were in neutral for the first and second period last night.

Should definitely have some gas in the tank.

Reactions: hrdpuk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad