BRUINS GDT GAME 47 7:40 PM - Whalercane Warning - NESN, NESN 4K, TNT, MAX, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1706075620775.png

1706079244153.png

1706075670887.png

1706075722644.png

After finishing Monday with the NHL's best record by points percentage, the Boston Bruins gear up for another matchup against a playoff contender when they host the Carolina Hurricanes on Wednesday night.

The Bruins won their fifth straight and extended their unbeaten streak to nine (6-0-3) on Monday with a 4-1 victory over Winnipeg.

Charlie Coyle had a goal and an assist to help lead the Bruins, who became the first team to score more than three goals on Winnipeg in 35 games. Coyle's first-period goal was the game-winner and his 17th of the season, setting a new high mark in his Boston career.

"He's someone that helps you win every night, even when he's not generating," Bruins coach Jim Montgomery said. "I do see his offensive confidence. He's wanting to shoot pucks. He's playing with (David Pastrnak). He's not looking for Pasta. He's taking the shot when it's there. ... That's the level of confidence that I think he's grown into being our No. 1 center."

Offensive contributions continued up and down the lineup, though. The Bruins have scored 18 goals in just their last three games.

Jakub Lauko scored his second goal in three games, while Jake DeBrusk tallied for a third straight contest and has eight goals and 14 points in his last 14 contests.

"It was nice to have a 2-1 lead going into the third and be able to extend the lead again," Montgomery said. "If you make anyone defend (for) long enough in their own end, they're going to make mistakes."

The Bruins have not lost in regulation since Jan. 4 against Pittsburgh.

"I feel like we've just been building our game ever since (the holiday break)," Coyle said. "It's not always perfect, but when we start to stray off, we get right back. That's the sign of a good team."

Carolina's first clash with Boston this season marks its first road game since Jan. 5, when it capped a five-game win streak that was eventually extended to eight games unbeaten (7-0-1).

Of late, the Hurricanes have lost two of three and have been idle from game play since falling 5-2 to Minnesota on Sunday despite a 42-19 shot advantage.

"We've got to stay with our game and we felt (Minnesota) creeping in," Carolina captain Jordan Staal said.

Martin Necas opened the scoring against the Wild, giving him two goals and three points in two games since returning from injury.

"It's a grind in the NHL. Obviously, he'd been out for a while, but he was a difference maker (in his first games back)," Hurricanes coach Rod Brind'Amour said. "He was all over it. I don't know what else to tell you. That's the kind of play we need out of him."

Hurricanes forward Andrei Svechnikov will miss his second straight game due to a lower-body injury. He will not travel to Boston, with the team immediately returning for two games at home beginning Thursday against New Jersey.

There could be a new face in Carolina's goal, Brind'Amour said, as Spencer Martin was claimed off waivers from Columbus last Friday. Pyotr Kochetkov (concussion) has been sidelined since Jan. 11 and is on injured reserve.

"The goalie is probably the easiest guy to come in fresh and just fit in because you've just got to stop the puck, right?" said Brind'Amour, who said Martin could "possibly" be in net on Wednesday.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
TNT and MAX will be blacked out in the NESN territory

Date     Time (ET)  Program / Commentators     Platform
Wednesday, Jan. 24
7 p.m.     NHL on TNT Faceoff presented by Verizon
Henrik Lundqvist, Paul Bissonnette, Anson Carter & Liam McHugh
TNT, Max
7:30 p.m.     Carolina Hurricanes at Boston Bruins*
Brendan Burke, Jennifer Botterill & Brian Boucher

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
f*** the Canes. Play hard, play smart, get greasy around the net. Forecheck was awesome last game, can we keep that going? Shots to the net. Park your ass in front of their tendy. Clear the puck when it needs to he cleared, and for the love of everything good, please no injuries!

I didn't realize Freddy's good pal, some might even say best friend (😉), Lemieux plays for the Canes. Well. Expect a fight then. It's tradition now.

Let's get it boys!

You already know the drill.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
I was a naysayer at the beginning of this transition year but I have to say I'm starting to get the warm and fuzzies about this consistently overachieving version of a Bruins team .... Carolina is near the top of the teams I hate ...do us all favour tonight and send them the kind of message that makes Carolina and their fan base doubt themselves for weeks after...Go Bs!!

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
The Bruins won their fifth straight and extended their unbeaten streak to nine (6-0-3) on Monday with a 4-1 victory over Winnipeg.

Carolina's first clash with Boston this season marks its first road game since Jan. 5, when it capped a five-game win streak that was eventually extended to eight games unbeaten (7-0-1).

Since when is losing in OT/SO not being beaten?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Canes are fine. I feel nothing towards them. Their coach is a dope though. Also a couple posters that happen to be Canes fans that are perhaps the two shittiest people I’ve ever encountered on this forum. Do I forget their usernames or am I pleading the fifth?

Reactions: hrdpuk

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I loved the Whalers as a little kid, mostly because I liked the colors, so I've always resented the Canes. Fun fact - I was at the only ever matchup between the Whalers and the Coyotes back in 1996. My memory of the game is the crowd chanting "We want Primeau!" as this was just before the Shanahan trade.

I hate that the Canes wear the Whalers jerseys. I'd be ok with it if they played a game or two in Hartford each season to pay homage to their history. The Canes certainly aren't selling out Raleigh every night.

My hatred of the Canes grew deeper in the 2009 playoffs when they beat us. That season was the first year I'd started paying attention to the Bruins again after the lockout, and to see it end like that sucked.

Suffice to say I hope we win big tonight lol. F the Canes.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Canes are fine. I feel nothing towards them. Their coach is a dope though. Also a couple posters that happen to be Canes fans that are perhaps the two shittiest people I’ve ever encountered on this forum. Do I forget their usernames or am I pleading the fifth?

My son is a Canes fan, as he was a Whalers fan as a kid and has stuck with them. Still a Sox fan too.

He was in college (Bryant) when the Canes won the Cup in 2006 and when the Sox won for the first time in 2004. Good place to celebrate two things he never thought he'd see.

Reactions: TD Charlie

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I loved the Whalers as a little kid, mostly because I liked the colors, so I've always resented the Canes. Fun fact - I was at the only ever matchup between the Whalers and the Coyotes back in 1996. My memory of the game is the crowd chanting "We want Primeau!" as this was just before the Shanahan trade.
I hate that the Canes wear the Whalers jerseys. I'd be ok with it if they played a game or two in Hartford each season to pay homage to their history. The Canes certainly aren't selling out Raleigh every night.

My hatred of the Canes grew deeper in the 2009 playoffs when they beat us. That season was the first year I'd started paying attention to the Bruins again after the lockout, and to see it end like that sucked.

Suffice to say I hope we win big tonight lol. F the Canes.

Canes average home attendance is actually higher than the Bruins. 6th overall in the NHL.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Tough one to figure. Canes are probably the fastest team in the league, and well coached by whiny Brind'Amour. (I don't have a "whole lot of love" for Brind'Amour. French joke.) However, they have problems in goal, and Orlov and the team D look shaky, as if they don't do what the coach tells them...Attention to detail and goaltending will determine the winner.....Simplistic I know.
Canes 4-2...I have a feeling this is a statement game for them, and we will have trouble with their speed regardless of anything.

I may miss part of this one as my sister and Brother-in-law came to visit. Go Bruins.

Reactions: sooshii
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad