GDT: Game 46: Sabres vs Oilers - 1/14 9pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I feel like we played excellent vs NJ and Tampa, and in Carolina it was pretty even despite their numerous lucky goals. For the most part I think we have played well lately, but this team seriously needs to learn how to hold a lead.
I think the effort in Florida was quite poor. NJ was meh. But in Tampa they deserved a win.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
I applaud your positive outlook, I really do. I just can't watch this team right now, and see that they're going to come out of this. I think they are what they are, and that is a .500 team that got lucky for a while.

I'm sure we'll have another stretch where some things go our way. But I truly think we're being held back by poor coaching/lineup decisions, that will be the difference between us and the teams we're fighting with. I think we have enough good players here to win, especially on defense.
We don't. They are a .500 team that got lucky. Once you accept that, anything better than that result is gravy.
Younger players should be better (over time). Their goal is to better than last year (they are) and be even better next year.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Mitts/Thompson could be fun or terrifying. I’m leaning towards terrifying.

I'm terrified whenever Mitts is on the ice, regardless of his linemates. He has shown some flashes in recent games though, hopefully it's a sign of some progression.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
We don't. They are a .500 team that got lucky. Once you accept that, anything better than that result is gravy.
Younger players should be better (over time). Their goal is to better than last year (they are) and be even better next year.
Basically what I'm saying is, we have enough players here to make a few competent lines and have three decent d-pairings. If the coach was using maximizing his player usage, like he lucked into during the winning streak, we're likely in a better spot right now.

He consistently goes back to pairings (Scandella/Risto) and lines (Skinner Eichel Reinhart) that hurt the team's overall performance and don't maximize what depth we do have. Obviously the lineup has a fair amount of dead weight, but so do most teams around us. Good coaching can mask some of that, and not run with a lineup that doesn't work for 20 Games. I will stand by my statement that Phil Housley is actively hurting this team and their ability to more consistently win games.

That said, the margin is too close between wins and losses. We would need to have the ability to keep adjusting to how teams are shutting us down, which clearly did not happen. They need forward depth to change this and make that more difficult for other teams. I think they have most of the key pieces for a good d-core.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
Basically what I'm saying is, we have enough players here to make a few competent lines and have three decent d-pairings. If the coach was using maximizing his player usage, like he lucked into during the winning streak, we're likely in a better spot right now.

He consistently goes back to pairings (Scandella/Risto) and lines (Skinner Eichel Reinhart) that hurt the team's overall performance and don't maximize what depth we do have. Obviously the lineup has a fair amount of dead weight, but so do most teams around us. Good coaching can mask some of that, and not run with a lineup that doesn't work for 20 Games. I will stand by my statement that Phil Housley is actively hurting this team and their ability to more consistently win games.

That said, the margin is too close between wins and losses. We would need to have the ability to keep adjusting to how teams are shutting us down, which clearly did not happen. They need forward depth to change this and make that more difficult for other teams. I think they have most of the key pieces for a good d-core.
He's got a winning record with a top line, a 4th line and 6 other actors pretending to be NHL forwards right now.

Goalies stole us games in the first half of the year. The team in front isn't playing that much different than when we were winning...

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
He's got a winning record with a top line, a 4th line and 6 other actors pretending to be NHL forwards right now.

Goalies stole us games in the first half of the year. The team in front isn't playing that much different than when we were winning...

Depending on how you want to look at it, Barely, and that's with a 10 game winning streak...

If you're looking at the record 23-16-6, then it looks much better than comparing wins (regulation/overtime) vs losses (regulation/overtime/SO) If it's wins vs losses then he's 23-22.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Scandella deserves waivers for his season-long performance
Exactly...that's the issue I have with it. You're holding one player accountable, and not another. Scandella lost coverage on at least two of the goals against Tampa. Because he scored a goal and is a veteran, he gets to stay in the lineup. Phil can't possibly have a whole lot of respect in that room with crap like that going on.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
Depending on how you want to look at it, Barely, and that's with a 10 game winning streak...

If you're looking at the record 23-16-6, then it looks much better than comparing wins (regulation/overtime) vs losses (regulation/overtime/SO) If it's wins vs losses then he's 23-22.
and....?

They were 11-34 through 45 games last year. Games are watchable, effort and consistency is the best I've seen in years. He's no Pat Burns, but he deserves some credit for the improved record.

Last edited:

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
At least Phil didnt mess with the GLO line, that needs to be a thing going forward, for a long time, I don't care if Okposo is overpaid in that role, that's the kind of grinding role he's going to have to play if we're going to be stuck with him for years. And we all knew Pilut was coming out after a couple of gaffes even though Scandella has been a tire fire. Just win baby.

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
The forward lines look good, for what there is to work with. I wish Scandella would retire, and take at least Sobotka with him.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Whenever people are still optimistic about the Sabre's playoff chances, this is what I see in my head:

tiH8j23.gif

Anyways... Go Sabres!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad