GDT: Game 46: Columbus vs. Washington | 1/27 7PM EST

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Thought I'd drop in for some post-game tidbits...

- Dubinsky was excellent tonight at the dot, 10 of 16 which was 62 percent. Led both teams in face off percentage. Thank goodness because his corsi at even strength was a -8... second worse on the team. He's got to step it up. 3 points in his last 9 games isn't cutting it.
- Despite looking better than what he has in the first 40 games of the year (he's come on as of late), Wennberg was dead last in corsi with a -9 at even strength which was worst out of both teams.
- The Joey-Foligno-Atkinson line dominated at even strength with a final corsi of +22.
- Morin only played 6 minutes tonight... assuming he re-aggravated his upper body injury.
- Johansen now has 13 SOG in his last 2 games.
- Connauton's primary assist on Johansen's goal should be getting a lot more credit than what it has got so far... no look pass, accurate as can be. Extremely impressed with him. He's had one game that stands out as 'bad' which was against the Islanders in which he was a -3 and played sloppy d that game. If he continues at the pace, signing him once his contract is up would be a no brainer.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Gotta love this board. One loss is doomsday one win is we still have a shot.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
What a 4th line! :yo:

gotta at least give credit to the whipping boy for making that play happen, can't just bash without giving some credit if he does something well, nice outlet pass broke things that lead to the goal. I thought he had an effective game, minus the penalty, that didn't cost us.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

Have you ever not followed the thread during the game and only read it after the game beginning to end? It's doomsday every goal and we win the cup every goal, haha. It's a roller coaster of bi-polar madness. Kinda funny to read after a win

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Have you ever not followed the thread during the game and only read it after the game beginning to end? It's doomsday every goal and we win the cup every goal, haha. It's a roller coaster of bi-polar madness. Kinda funny to read after a win

Winner winner.:laugh:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

Always let your highs get too high and your lows get too low. :sarcasm:

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
CBS affiliate up here just showed Jackets highlights on their 10pm newscast on the MyNetwork TV affiliate.

They showed the last two Jacket goals.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
CBS affiliate up here just showed Jackets highlights on their 10pm newscast on the MyNetwork TV affiliate.

They showed the last two Jacket goals.

As far as hockey cities outside Columbus in Ohio.

1. Toledo-total Wings town and minor league, but they love hockey
2. Cleveland
3. Everybody else could care less

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
As far as hockey cities outside Columbus in Ohio.

1. Toledo-total Wings town and minor league, but they love hockey
2. Cleveland
3. Everybody else could care less

Do you think a Jackets affiliate in Cincy or Dayton would help in the SW corner of the state?

What about Youngstown? Seems like it would be a pretty good Pens town?

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Do you think a Jackets affiliate in Cincy or Dayton would help in the SW corner of the state?

What about Youngstown? Seems like it would be a pretty good Pens town?

I think it would, but they don't have an AHL team, they have an ECHL team and rarely do any of those players outside of the occasional goalie make the NHL. I would be happy if our AHL team was in Cleveland, I would totally drive up to see a few games.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Very enjoyable game to watch. I like the idea of pairing Cam with Nick and Joey. With them on the ice, open space is created for Cam. And with open space, Cam can rely on his skill and be deadly. When Cam started the season fast, it was on Joey's line. I know it is impossible to convince TR to make anything stable. But he should try that with the Nikc-Joey-Cam line. At least for a couple of weeks.

Jorge

Actor,Comedian,Drunk
Jan 11, 2011
Clintonville
It's an afterthought after high school, all of my friends grew up in Cleveland and even the ones that played in high school barely care about the NHL now. It's a Browns, Cavs, Indians, OSU town. Even OSU used to be an afterthought before Tress.

Yeah, I remember when Bruce and Cooper were losing guys to Michigan and ND, although Cooper was able to recruit very well once he got settled in.

I think it would be neat to have the Monsters for the AHL affiliate, and then maybe Cinci for the ECHL affiliate. Not gonna happen, just sayin...

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah, I remember when Bruce and Cooper were losing guys to Michigan and ND, although Cooper was able to recruit very well once he got settled in.

I think it would be neat to have the Monsters for the AHL affiliate, and then maybe Cinci for the ECHL affiliate. Not gonna happen, just sayin...

Detroit is smart, they have Grand Rapids for the AHL and Toledo for the ECHL. I would hate to live in Springfield though and have my affiliate ripped from me, that is probably a much better hockey market than Cleveland, but I doubt there are many Jacket fans in Springfield. I think it would definitely build the Cleveland fan base if the Monsters were our affiliate.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Very enjoyable game to watch. I like the idea of pairing Cam with Nick and Joey. With them on the ice, open space is created for Cam. And with open space, Cam can rely on his skill and be deadly. When Cam started the season fast, it was on Joey's line. I know it is impossible to convince TR to make anything stable. But he should try that with the Nikc-Joey-Cam line. At least for a couple of weeks.

I agree, Cam looked better than he has in months tonight. He's a much better option than Morin or Skille.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY

Don't be foolish, the entire Columbus media, Fox and even the organization are saying "we" have a shot....

"Truth" is the truth here.... it's next to impossible unless the CBJ win 25 of the remaining 36 games.... there's less than 0.5% chance of that happining..

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Don't be foolish, the entire Columbus media, Fox and even the organization are saying "we" have a shot....

"Truth" is the truth here.... it's next to impossible unless the CBJ win 25 of the remaining 36 games.... there's less than 0.5% chance of that happining..

Well I mean you can read the GDT after the game was over, people are still talking playoffs here after wins.

I agree with what people are saying about Cam. Keep him with our big 2, because theres a huge hole on our top line on that side, and he's probably our most talented winger. If he doesn't produce there, I think we should trade him. If he produces, he can stick around.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Fun game!

Richards may as well leave Atkinson with Foligno and Johansen. Atkinson was a big time college scorer-he's either going to make it in the NHL as a top 6er or he won't. He's a scorer, pure and simple. Trying to "spread out" the scoring with the donkeys who populate the bottom 6 on this team is futile. There is no secondary scoring on this team. Which figures given that 5 of the forwards who played tonight aren't NHL material (right now anyway in a couple of cases). Poor Letestu. The hockey Gods had mercy upon him when they channeled that Tropp pass. In all fairness, Tropp looked capable tonight. Probably an illusion.

Johansen is so good that it's sickening. That top-of-the-circle one time snap shot was wicked. Great pass by #4. Johansen made a perfect 40 foot saucer pass to (I forget) at the beginning of period 2 that was sheer hockey artistry. Those two plays alone made it a worthwhile hockey experience. Might be just me, but I thought that the crowd was much more enthusiastic toward him tonight than earlier this season. I'm guessing that his boffo performance at the Skills Comp erased most of the residual resentment toward him for not being a dutiful and grateful signer of the absurd, lowball 2 year bridge. About time.

I'm so glad that the FO was willing to give this kid a contract term the same length as #40. Gives me so much confidence in their judgement.

Speaking of #40, the penalty that he took after CBJ goal #3 ought to earn him a spot in the press box.....for a nice, long stretch. The guy is 5 nautical miles south of completely useless.

Interesting PK strategy which left Ovechkin alone in the circle. Heard HCTR reasoning behind it on the post game......made sense. He thinks that "shadowing" Ovi opens up too much other talent on Washington to do their things. Makes for an interesting shooting gallery as Ovechkin has never seen a shot he didn't like to take.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2