GDT: Game 46: Avs @ Bolts | 5:00PM MT | January 17th, 2015

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Who is that EJ hit?

Brian Boyle. Not exactly a little guy he knocked down there, makes it all the more impressive.

Saw the highlights--great coverage by #5 on that first TB goal.

Good to see they at least played 2 periods of solid hockey down the stretch. Can't really complain getting a point against one of the league's best teams.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
One thing I did not like seeing last night was O'Reilly get thrown down after going to the net, and he just took it. Did a hair whip, and skated away. I know it's not his game to push back, but you have to stand up for yourself sometimes. He was good otherwise though. He looks revitalized at center.

*shrug* I loved that play.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Can't retaliate and get a penalty in that situation and go down to just 3 skaters. Even if it's just a 4 on 3, it's so hard to defend with just 3 skaters. So much room on the ice.

Though, since hog tying people somehow became legal in that overtime.......

This reminds of something. With the way Bishop was playing, how un-Varly-esque Varly had to be in the second and third periods, how well we did at the end of regulation with the extra skater, and how little time was left; was I the only one wanting Patrick to pull the goalie and try and win it with 20 seconds of 5-on-3?

I didn't feel very good going into that shootout and said to myself that "at least they got the point locked up" before it started, so this may just be hindsight doing what it does, but I just couldn't help but feel like Bishop was more dialed in than Varly at that point, in large part because he was being called on to make more great saves. And going into a shootout my money's on the team who's goalie I think is more at the height of his powers, at least when both teams have goalies capable of really top tier performances. So pushing to finish it when we had momentum and a great opportunity seemed like a safer bet than relying on winning the gimmick against the hot goalie.

Plus I'd just have loved to see Patrick do something that ballsy against probably the best young team in the NHL and one of the leagues best teams in general atm. Was a great chance to really make a big show of supporting this team and telling them that when they're playing as well as they can, he trust them to get it done against even the very best opposition. With the way everyone's finally been playing better, except for Barrie, that kind of big statement could've been huge for this young team who have clawed back into the playoff race, but haven't really gone on a hot streak yet. Could've been the catalyst to the type of run his game 1 shenanigans inspired last year, and now that the kids have put in the work to turn their seasons around, that kind of move could be very useful and give us the push to return to the playoffs that we're going to need.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Saw that hit before I left. Surprised they got a point but then again I only saw the first period.

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
This reminds of something. With the way Bishop was playing, how un-Varly-esque Varly had to be in the second and third periods, how well we did at the end of regulation with the extra skater, and how little time was left; was I the only one wanting Patrick to pull the goalie and try and win it with 20 seconds of 5-on-3?

I didn't feel very good going into that shootout and said to myself that "at least they got the point locked up" before it started, so this may just be hindsight doing what it does, but I just couldn't help but feel like Bishop was more dialed in than Varly at that point, in large part because he was being called on to make more great saves. And going into a shootout my money's on the team who's goalie I think is more at the height of his powers, at least when both teams have goalies capable of really top tier performances. So pushing to finish it when we had momentum and a great opportunity seemed like a safer bet than relying on winning the gimmick against the hot goalie.

Plus I'd just have loved to see Patrick do something that ballsy against probably the best young team in the NHL and one of the leagues best teams in general atm. Was a great chance to really make a big show of supporting this team and telling them that when they're playing as well as they can, he trust them to get it done against even the very best opposition. With the way everyone's finally been playing better, except for Barrie, that kind of big statement could've been huge for this young team who have clawed back into the playoff race, but haven't really gone on a hot streak yet. Could've been the catalyst to the type of run his game 1 shenanigans inspired last year, and now that the kids have put in the work to turn their seasons around, that kind of move could be very useful and give us the push to return to the playoffs that we're going to need.

In the OT? Isn't there some rule where you lose your loser point if you pull the goalie and lose on an EN goal?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The point system isn't made where both teams get a point when it goes to OT and then the winner gets an extra point at game's end. All points are handed out at game's end so if you did pull your goalie and get scored on you don't get your point taken from you, you just don't get a point.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
The point system isn't made where both teams get a point when it goes to OT and then the winner gets an extra point at game's end. All points are handed out at game's end so if you did pull your goalie and get scored on you don't get your point taken from you, you just don't get a point.

:huh: What? We may be saying the same thing, but here goes:

If a game ends in a tie at the end of regulation, both teams are awarded a minimum of one point. However, that point isn't set in stone right then and there.

If a team pulls their goaltender in OT and loses while that goaltender is out of the net, that team loses said point they had previously gained at the end of regulation.

Rule 84.2: Overtime – Regular-season – Extra Attacker - A team shall be allowed to pull its goalkeeper in favor of an additional skater in the overtime period. However, should that team lose the game during the time in which the goalkeeper has been removed, it would forfeit the automatic point gained in the tie at the end of regulation play, except if the goalkeeper has been removed at the call of a delayed penalty against the other team.

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado

Yeah, that's a better way to explain it. But it's not how it works, exactly.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You forfeit the OT point the minute you pull the goalie. Only one coach (Andy Murray) has ever done it.

What the...why? That's just so dumb. I sometimes wish the NHL was a well run organization...cause allowing aggressive coaching like that is how you promote exciting hockey despite your silly point system. Who wouldn't have been losing their minds seeing Varly sitting on the bench as they lined up for the final 20 seconds of OT? How anyone could think the shootout is more exciting than that is beyond me. And once Patrick did it other teams would start doing it to, especially if they suck at the shootout, or they're playing their backup who sucks at shootouts...I'm looking at you Berra, even before those two quick pulls broke you...

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
You forfeit the OT point the minute you pull the goalie.

No, you only forfeit the point if you get scored upon with the goalie pulled. If you score a goal after pulling the goalie, you get the two points.

I think. ;)

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
No, you only forfeit the point if you get scored upon with the goalie pulled. If you score a goal after pulling the goalie, you get the two points.

I think. ;)

But in a way you do forfeit the loser point, because if you pull the goalie and win, you get both points. If you lose, you don't get any.

It's the same either way. I mean, you don't "have" any points until the very end of the game, really. No one updates the standings after regulation. So you could think of it as reg win = 2, ot win = 2, so win = 2, ot loss with goalie = 1, so loss = 1, reg loss = 0, ot loss w/o goalie = 0.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Elliott has been better defensively this year. He's got solid positioning and uses his stick well. Offensively he's playing very well. It feels like people are still thinking Elliott is exactly the same as he was with the Avs two years ago and thus don't want to give him a chance.

Also, he can QB a PP better than anyone on the team currently.

If we're out of the playoffs, i'd love to call Elliot up and see what he can do in the last ~5-10 games. Honestly, Elliot hasn't made big enough improvements warrant giving him a chance. Every year we believe it will be the year he'll better, and every year he disappoints.

Training camps, pre-season games he looked a step behind Noreau, Redmond, Holden, etc. That's the time when a player like Elliot needs to prove himself. He didn't.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
But in a way you do forfeit the loser point, because if you pull the goalie and win, you get both points. If you lose, you don't get any.

It's the same either way. I mean, you don't "have" any points until the very end of the game, really. No one updates the standings after regulation. So you could think of it as reg win = 2, ot win = 2, so win = 2, ot loss with goalie = 1, so loss = 1, reg loss = 0, ot loss w/o goalie = 0.

There's no real reason to change the number of points you get on the number of skaters you use. It's strange.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
You only lose the point if you are scored on while the net is empty. If you pull the goalie with 30 seconds left in OT and neither team scores, it goes to a shootout with the winner getting two points, loser getting one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad