GDT: Game 45: Seattle Kraken(14-26-4) @ Boston Bruins(25-14-3) - 4:00 p.m. PT / 7:00 p.m. ET

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Cale Fleury really kept things simple tonight, which was great to see.

Slowed things down when he had time. Made the smart pass and didn't try to force anything.

Nothing spectacular, but a very solid debut here.

Good to know they have some ready depth if a few good deals come up at the deadline and there is incentive to move a couple of the D.

Smart Hakstol only played him 10 minutes in the entire preseason and snuck him through waivers
So we have Soucy, Oleksiak and Borgen on IR right now. I am wondering if they expect Cale to make it through waivers again. If not, there is likely a deal to be made somewhere to move one of our excess D-men.

I am laughing as I am typing this but I don't think we genuinely have any 'bad' D-men on this team (given how bad our team D has been this season). Sure we lack offensive minded D-men but every one of our younger D-men has stepped in when asked and done a decent enough job.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I know it sucks losing but it's almost better to not be getting points right now. They aren't going anywhere so it's best to stay in the bottom 5 preferably 3 to maximize your chances at a top pick. They're playing good hockey finally and are being competitive almost every night. Keep that intensity up but fall just short of getting a point and it's a win win.

Going to be a tough sell to the fans, and watching them lose to Boston tonight hurt my soul, but I totally agree.

The higher they draft this year, the brighter the future is likely to be.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
So we have Soucy, Oleksiak and Borgen on IR right now. I am wondering if they expect Cale to make it through waivers again. If not, there is likely a deal to be made somewhere to move one of our excess D-men.

I am laughing as I am typing this but I don't think we genuinely have any 'bad' D-men on this team (given how bad our team D has been this season). Sure we lack offensive minded D-men but every one of our younger D-men has stepped in when asked and done a decent enough job.

It has mostly been the team D of the forwards missing assignments or not back-checking. Some of the poor communication on rotation can be blamed on the D, but that is more likely unfamiliarity of the guys playing in a new system and not reading each other correctly.

The biggest problem the D as a whole has had is allowing forwards to get behind them in the neutral zone, and that is often a communication problem more than a bad play issue.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

What is the rule currently? They have changed it so many times over the years, I tend to stop keeping track.

Is it C. Fleury can play 9 games and then go back to the taxi squad before he has to clear waivers again?

I'd look it up, but I am lazy ;)

Damn it, OCD kicked in. It is 9 games or 29 days.

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Going to be a tough sell to the fans, and watching them lose to Boston tonight hurt my soul, but I totally agree.

The higher they draft this year, the brighter the future is likely to be.
Yeah. I don't think its a tough sell this season. But starting next season it is going to be.

What do you folks think about the NHL readiness of the upcoming draft pool? Is there a single player that can be expected to step in and contribute next season? Maybe Wright? I was thinking Kemell but he has kind of fallen off after his hot start. 0 points in his last 9 games. I would love to see our 1st round pick this year be part of our roster next season but I just don't see any prospect from this pool being impactful in their D+1 season.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Yeah. I don't think its a tough sell this season. But starting next season it is going to be.

What do you folks think about the NHL readiness of the upcoming draft pool? Is there a single player that can be expected to step in and contribute next season? Maybe Wright? I was thinking Kemell but he has kind of fallen off after his hot start. 0 points in his last 9 games. I would love to see our 1st round pick this year be part of our roster next season but I just don't see any prospect from this pool being impactful in their D+1 season.

I would not risk bringing any of the picks directly into the NHL.

I know for some prospects, another year of Major Juniors is sometimes viewed as a waste, but I think in general it is best to give them a taste of the league in the preseason, give them their 9 games so they get an understanding of how far they have yet to go to be ready, then reassign them back to juniors.

Let them dominate there and work on their all around game, and then after their second training camp, give them a stint in the minors . Once they look ready there, bring them up.

95% of the time when a team keeps an 18 year old prospect that was just drafted in the league, they experience severe growing pains and confidence issues as the learning curve is steep and the timing is difficult to adjust to. Generational talents are a different story, but most teams in the league will never even have to ever concern themselves with that issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad