GDT: Game #45 | Phoenix Coyotes @ Detroit Red Wings | 7:30 PM EST | FS-D / NBCSN

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I recommend watching a different team.

Wings are going to give you alcoholism, unhealthy anger and depression and not in that particular order.
I was in California for a week earlier this month and can say I didn't miss 30* weather and snow in mid-late April and Red Wing hockey all that much. Well the Red Wings just because they're the Red Wings and the only team I'll support no matter what. But 85* weather, cold beer in the fridge and the Ducks/good hockey on the tv...why did I come back home?

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Wings lose 8-1. Howard mishandles lead to 5 goals, Abdelkader or Cleary turnovers lead to the other 3.

Nyquist dangles the whole roster for our only goal and then doesn't play the rest of the game.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I think it will be a realgud game, if we end up missing the playoffs due to the last few shootout losses.. ouch.

I would attribute missing the playoffs to losing to beatable teams like Calgary, Columbus, Phoenix, etc. Not enough killer instinct in those types of games. We should be beating them handily.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm going to let this slide because I giggled.

I don't think he is the best was just joking. I will say this Tippett is a pretty good coach that has had little to work with over the majority of his career. What I hate about him is his system, but Babcock is trying to install a boring conservative system anyway. That is Tippett's bread and butter. I don't want him as a coach because I hate watching his teams play hockey, but if we want to grind out results, Tippett is among the very best at doing that.

I would attribute missing the playoffs to losing to beatable teams like Calgary, Columbus, Phoenix, etc. Not enough killer instinct in those types of games. We should be beating them handily.

You beat teams handily by scoring, something we just cannot do.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA

Yup

1-6-1 Against Columbus and Calgary. 3 out of 16 possible points.

That's what I'm going to blame if we miss... and Filppula, Kronwall's screens, Smith's turnovers, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, 2nd half Zetterberg, Brunner's defense, Helm's glass back, Dr. Realgud and "we like our team."

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

This.
Had we had gone 3-0 against Calgary (instead of 0-3 :help:) and 5-0 against CBus (instead of 1-3-1) we'd be sitting at 61 points, clinched a spot already and would most likely have home ice advantage.
And this wasn't the CBus of the last month or so, this was early in the season when they still sucked and were basement dwellers. So 8-0 against CBJ and Calgary was easily doable, they just didn't show up.
If we miss the playoffs IMO dropping 13 out of 16 points against CBJ (while sucking) and Calgary is the reason.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This.
Had we had gone 3-0 against Calgary (instead of 0-3 :help:) and 5-0 against CBus (instead of 1-3-1) we'd be sitting at 61 points, clinched a spot already and would most likely have home ice advantage.
And this wasn't the CBus of the last month or so, this was early in the season when they still sucked and were basement dwellers. So 8-0 against CBJ and Calgary was easily doable, they just didn't show up.
If we miss the playoffs IMO dropping 13 out of 16 points against CBJ (while sucking) and Calgary.

I don't expect 8-0, losses will happen. Plus Columbus and Bob really kicked off their spring board to good hockey right before they won those two in a row on us to end the season series. But we easily should have got half those possible points and that is all the difference in the world right now.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I don't expect 8-0, losses will happen. Plus Columbus and Bob really kicked off their spring board to good hockey right before they won those two in a row on us to end the season series. But we easily should have got half those possible points and that is all the difference in the world right now.

True, it wasn't likely to happen but it was certainly possible, Detroit has the better roster than both Calgary and CBus. In each game, if both the Wings and Cbus/Calgary play to the best of their abilities, and give 100% IMO Detroit comes out on top every time. Problem is that Detroit didn't even play close to their best abilities even once in the 8 games.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
The Columbus Blue Jackets are not a good hockey team. The Red Wings are the more talented team and better coached team. Ignoring the fact that Babcock thinks Justin Abdelkader is an actual hockey player.

Wings lost games they should have won because they had the more talented and experienced lineup. Instead, they half ***** several games and played soft and lazy hockey. They would take a bunch of low percentage shots that would fool somebody who only looked at the box score into believing the Wings just had bad luck.

The Wings did not pass the eyeball test this year. Every year since 2009-2010, the Wings have played more and more like the 2012-2013 Red Wings. It's been getting worse and worse every year.

You have to admit, this years Wings team looks exactly like the Wings team that lost in the first round to Nashville last year. opposing goalies look like Jesus Christ on skates, can't score on the PP or ES and the PK fails to kill that last PP.

The same thing happened against the Sharks the year before, but Datsyuk went into God mode and at least made it look competitive. You could argue that Datsyuk playing like a monster screwed the Red Wings out of a real rebuild. You know Ken Holland saw that series and deluded himself into believing a healthy Franzen that year was all the Wings needed to contend.

This game against Phoenix is going to be more of the same. You can't expect to see an entirely different team after 45 games. Next year will be worse if Holland stands pat and expects Darren Helm, a third liner to save the day.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
The Columbus Blue Jackets are not a good hockey team. The Red Wings are the more talented team and better coached team. Ignoring the fact that Babcock thinks Justin Abdelkader is an actual hockey player.

Wings lost games they should have won because they had the more talented and experienced lineup. Instead, they half ***** several games and played soft and lazy hockey. They would take a bunch of low percentage shots that would fool somebody who only looked at the box score into believing the Wings just had bad luck.

The Wings did not pass the eyeball test this year. Every year since 2009-2010, the Wings have played more and more like the 2012-2013 Red Wings. It's been getting worse and worse every year.

You have to admit, this years Wings team looks exactly like the Wings team that lost in the first round to Nashville last year. opposing goalies look like Jesus Christ on skates, can't score on the PP or ES and the PK fails to kill that last PP.

The same thing happened against the Sharks the year before, but Datsyuk went into God mode and at least made it look competitive. You could argue that Datsyuk playing like a monster screwed the Red Wings out of a real rebuild. You know Ken Holland saw that series and deluded himself into believing a healthy Franzen that year was all the Wings needed to contend.

This game against Phoenix is going to be more of the same. You can't expect to see an entirely different team after 45 games. Next year will be worse if Holland stands pat and expects Darren Helm, a third liner to save the day.

No. NO. NO. NO. NO.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
BIe-acfCUAAS5Cg.jpg:large

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Columbus has 2 more games played then us and only 3 points diff. Wings have 4 more games left. If the Wings don't make it into the playoffs letting Columbus in, I don't see how much more of a FAIL that could be for a team. Wings clearly have the advantage. The time to go on a 4 game winning streak is now.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
No. NO. NO. NO. NO.

Cmon Vladdy, Tippett has never won anything. He is good at coaching mediocre non playoff teams and turning them into mediocre playoff teams. I can appreciate the lack of talent he has to work with, but he isn't a winner.

Babcock might be a total moron for playing Gator with Datsyuk, but you can't say Tippett is a better coach than Babcock. Remember the Preds game last year where the WIngs gave up, i think three goals in the first period in five minutes and Babcock called a TO? He knew what buttons to push and reach his players which resulted in a Wings comeback and eventual win at Bridgestone Arena.

The guy has his faults, but one season of mistakes isn't enough for me to call for his head. It took me almost three years to turn from Holland supporter to Holland hater. I will give Babcock at least two seasons of incompetence before i advocate his removal.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Columbus has 2 more games played then us and only 3 points diff. Wings have 4 more games left. If the Wings don't make it into the playoffs letting Columbus in, I don't see how much more of a FAIL that could be for a team. Wings clearly have the advantage. The time to go on a 4 game winning streak is now.

Exactly. I said this last night. There is not making the playoffs and than there is not making the playoffs because Columbus played better than you and got the final spot.

One is far more disgraceful than the other.

Ignoring the fact that the Wings being in this position is a complete disgrace too.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Cmon Vladdy, Tippett has never won anything. He is good at coaching mediocre non playoff teams and turning them into mediocre playoff teams. I can appreciate the lack of talent he has to work with, but he isn't a winner.

Babcock might be a total moron for playing Gator with Datsyuk, but you can't say Tippett is a better coach than Babcock.

He might be for the kind of team we have. You have said over and over we are mediocre. Tippett likely just as you said wills that in the playoffs. The Coyotes aren't mediocre they are flat out bad because Smith has come back to earth.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
Exactly. I said this last night. There is not making the playoffs and than there is not making the playoffs because Columbus played better than you and got the final spot.

One is far more disgraceful than the other.

Ignoring the fact that the Wings being in this position is a complete disgrace too.

It's a disgrace based on our recent history. Based on this lineup? Not sure I can call fighting for 8th a disgrace. Did anyone think they were going to finish anywhere else?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad