GDT: Game 45: Avalanche @ Panthers | 5:30PM MT | January 15th, 2015

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Keep the lines the way they are. I thought MacK looked good yesterday, was definitely working real hard in the offensive zone down low. Mitchell, lately, has gone into full-Malkin mode, just doesn't seem to want to use his teammates much lol. That can't be who MacKinnon plays with

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Keep the lines the way they are. I thought MacK looked good yesterday, was definitely working real hard in the offensive zone down low. Mitchell, lately, has gone into full-Malkin mode, just doesn't seem to want to use his teammates much lol. That can't be who MacKinnon plays with

MacK did certainly play very hard and it was great to see, but I'm not sure if that's helping Landy and ROR offensively, I think they'd get on a roll much better with a more simple RW like Rendulic. The goal Landy scored was exactly that whereas when MacK had those driving shifts those two seemed less effective at figuring out how best to play off of him.

As for Malkin, I've missed some games the past 3 weeks, but I don't agree with that. Yes the goal involved him curling off when he could've thrown it at the net for evb or rendo (I'm forgetting which one was there off of the rush), but I don't think that was a bad decision and he made a nice pass to Barrie. He holds the puck a lot but he's gotten rather tanguay-esque with his patience in some areas, coming back to the point from the half boards in particular, and I think that's been a positive development. There was one play in the third from the right half board where he really impressed me with his patience and the way it sucked defenders towards him to allow him to put the puck behind the net so we could maintain pressure. His improved passing ability really makes Malkin holding onto the puck a completely different thing, as he's giving it away much less and doing a much better job of putting it in places where we have a good chance at it. With MacK's speed and EVB flying up the other side I think Malkin would actually do very nicely, like when he was between Tangs and Iggy. Plus he's one of our better shooters when he's playing off of someone and getting set up, so he wouldn't fade from effectiveness as much as ROR/Landy by hanging back and playing off of MacK.

I don't think that we should change the lines right now, but if Rendo doesn't miss any time and the next game doesn't go well, I would be for Patty trying to take advantage of lesser matchups with a EVB-Malkin-MacK line, as I think that trio would fit very well together.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
There have been more instances lately though of Mitchell holding onto the puck too long and not finding teammates, when he could have found someone a bit earlier, and we have to work to get it back again if he dumps it into the corner. I will agree he's gotten better at finding his teammates, but lately his bad habits are starting to come back

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'll have to watch for it if I can watch more games this next week or two, but I didn't think that was a problem with him this last game.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

I agree with Malkin. He had Everberg WIDE open for a pass but decided to Malkin it. Fortunately he found Barrie who walked in Billy Jean style to score

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I think this is one of the most odd statements I've ever seen anyone make. The Avs haven't been world beaters this season, but the NHL has arguably the most parity out of the 4 major professional leagues in North America. The only game that was considered an "easy game" for any team was Edmonton, but now that they have a new coach, even that's not a guarantee anymore. Every game is a 60 minute battle, you have to be doing something right to be winning hockey games.

They may not be the prettiest wins, and Varlamov has played excellent lately, but the Avs have to be doing something right to be winning hockey games. It's extremely difficult to make the playoffs

Huh? I believe you took what I said out of context or something. It might be difficult to make the playoffs and you might not ever have an easy game because of parity , but when more than half the league makes the playoffs, well, there are going to be some teams in there who just are not that good of teams. Just look at Detroit and Dallas last year. They had losing records and still made the playoffs. LA is in 8th right now, with a losing record. Someone was surprised that we were this close to a playoff spot. It's not that surprising considering the record of past wildcard teams.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Landeskog looks horrible out there. A continuous nightmare of performances from him. Holding that puck like a grenade, dragging his feet like he's being towed by eight Siberian Huskies, and just not doing what he does best; relentless pursuit of the puck, physical contact, ugly goals, and heart.

Also, I don't think we're climbing the standings due to some big improvement or anything. Playing some better hockey, sure, but there are a lot of awful hockey teams in the NHL right now. 3 out of every 4 teams look inconsistent and can be beaten on any night. The competition has been quite poor and we've been slightly less poor, that's about it. I'm not seeing the fight-for-every-inch work ethic from last year yet. Eagerly awaiting its return.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
was that the on the panthers 5on3 chance? holden originally messed that up by staying high and allowing basically 3on1 until he came back and deflected the pass.

No idea. I just remember shouting for Varly then correcting myself when seeing the replay.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I ask myself every time: Why is Redmond sitting and Guenin playing?

If Redmond was given half the chance and half the leash that Roy gives to Holden and Guenin, he'd have played every game this year.

Conversely, if Roy treated Holden and Guenin the way he treats Redmond, their career in the NHL would be over. Never would have started for that matter.

I just can't understand why he watches them make so many mistakes and keeps playing them, while Redmond has decent games and gets benched. The favorites game has to be frustrating for him, after signing here thinking he'd have a better chance.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Landeskog looks horrible out there. A continuous nightmare of performances from him. Holding that puck like a grenade, dragging his feet like he's being towed by eight Siberian Huskies, and just not doing what he does best; relentless pursuit of the puck, physical contact, ugly goals, and heart.

Also, I don't think we're climbing the standings due to some big improvement or anything. Playing some better hockey, sure, but there are a lot of awful hockey teams in the NHL right now. 3 out of every 4 teams look inconsistent and can be beaten on any night. The competition has been quite poor and we've been slightly less poor, that's about it. I'm not seeing the fight-for-every-inch work ethic from last year yet. Eagerly awaiting its return.

Careful. You cant criticize Landeskogs slug feet and terrible passing round here.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
If Redmond was given half the chance and half the leash that Roy gives to Holden and Guenin, he'd have played every game this year.

Conversely, if Roy treated Holden and Guenin the way he treats Redmond, their career in the NHL would be over. Never would have started for that matter.

I just can't understand why he watches them make so many mistakes and keeps playing them, while Redmond has decent games and gets benched. The favorites game has to be frustrating for him, after signing here thinking he'd have a better chance.

How dare you question Patrick

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

I agree but get told i'm straight up wrong around here when I mention a lack of consistency or heart in Landeskog's game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Seems to me that more people criticize Landy around here, than those that sing his praises.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Landeskog hasn't had a great season, but it's far from as bad as some claim. I would be surprised if we don't find out about an injury after the season. He's slower than he usually is and have bad balance on his skates.

After the first month, he's been one of the best forwards after Tanguay. Which is a bit sad because it says more about how our forwards have played more than anything.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I don't think Landy's been particularly consistent lately, and he's not skating that well, but nobody has, and he displayed these things last night you criticized him for with a hard fought goal. A goal which gave them a 2-1 lead at a key anyone's game moment in the 2nd.

I think the two centers he's been playing with lately are the ones that are playing the furthest from their potential, and not displaying what they do best. In all zones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad