GDT: Game #44 | Wings @ Coyotes | 9:00 PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Yotes are 7-1-2 in their last 10 games...1 regulation loss that is. Will be a tough one... But if Mrazek plays like he should... it could still be a wings W

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Tatar is the better player. :dunno:

Right now he's the less bad player maybe. Apart from that they are quite different in their playing style, imao Tats not better than Gus though.
Just the opinion that some make their overall judgement on Gus too dependent on his recent - admittedly underwhelming - performance.

You'll never see plays by Tats that are in any way comparable to what Gus is capable of. That's not to say that Gus is necessarily better.
But I don't see him generally worse either.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
One interesting thing about that link is that it makes our golden boy Dekeyser look pretty awful.

Well he's been noticeably worse this season compared to past years. I know I'm not the only one to have noticed that. And I never thought DK would ever be a top pairing guy like some people did. I figure middle pairing defensive defenseman is what he tops out as. Interesting to me was his primary pass stat. It only tracked seven games but it aligns with what I have complained about. He's an off the glass sorta guy. Which is fine because it's safe and not everyone can be hitting breakout passes that spring the forwards. But he lacks the vision and sense needed of a top pairing player.

Small samples be damned but I really think Marchenko is better than DDK right now. He pinches better, passes better, has a righty shot, and he's at least as physical.

That said, DDK is the least of the defense's worries considering we are still packing Smith and E and especially given E's contract. :cry:

Tatar is the better player. :dunno:

I thought so too last year. But doubt has grown for sure. Right now I think I'd give the edge of Nyquist. I'd pick Tatar easily if he played as gritty as he used to. You absolutely must consider controlled zone entries in this evaluation though. Tatar loses it so much trying to gain the zone. Nyquist finds a way. When we no longer have Z or D, we need someone who can do that regularly not just for PP but for ES. It's so crucial to generating shots and scoring chances.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Right now he's the less bad player maybe. Apart from that they are quite different in their playing style, imao Tats not better than Gus though.
Just the opinion that some make their overall judgement on Gus too dependent on his recent - admittedly underwhelming - performance.

You'll never see plays by Tats that are in any way comparable to what Gus is capable of. That's not to say that Gus is necessarily better.
But I don't see him generally worse either.

I've said Tatar was the better player for about a year now. Tatar is better because he drives possession, generates more offense, and produces at even strength. They're both 60 point, near 30 goal scoring players, the difference is marginal, but I think Tatar edges out Nyquist for sure.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Well he's been noticeably worse this season compared to past years. I know I'm not the only one to have noticed that. And I never thought DK would ever be a top pairing guy like some people did. I figure middle pairing defensive defenseman is what he tops out as. Interesting to me was his primary pass stat. It only tracked seven games but it aligns with what I have complained about. He's an off the glass sorta guy. Which is fine because it's safe and not everyone can be hitting breakout passes that spring the forwards. But he lacks the vision and sense needed of a top pairing player.

Small samples be damned but I really think Marchenko is better than DDK right now. He pinches better, passes better, has a righty shot, and he's at least as physical.

That said, DDK is the least of the defense's worries considering we are still packing Smith and E and especially given E's contract. :cry:

I thought so too last year. But doubt has grown for sure. Right now I think I'd give the edge of Nyquist. I'd pick Tatar easily if he played as gritty as he used to. You absolutely must consider controlled zone entries in this evaluation though. Tatar loses it so much trying to gain the zone. Nyquist finds a way. When we no longer have Z or D, we need someone who can do that regularly not just for PP but for ES. It's so crucial to generating shots and scoring chances.

I haven't checked recently, but I know earlier in the year and all of last year, Tatar was the best player on the team next to Datsyuk at gaining the zone.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Do you think we could trade Kronwall for OEL? :naughty: our #1 D for theirs? Should work. OEL Swedish too so Zetterberg wont mind.

Last edited:

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Double shutout means he makes so many saves that the previous game goes down as a shutout too.

Obviously.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Remember those 2 years Ericsson was good and we thought "Hey maybe his contract isn't completely awful after all"? Good times.

Marchenko has to be in the lineup. Talent should trump size and contract.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
lol, i love that swedish mafia joke

its 100% accurate, you dont piss off zetterberg or kronwall on this team or I cna totally see them revolting against the coach/mgmt

I've made thoe jokes before, but I seriously doubt that plays any significant part. If it did, neither Zetterberg nor Kronwall would deserve the letters on their chests.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Will Mr. Anderson take the red pill or the blue pill tonight? We shall see. And the D needs more Marchenko. I'd sit Smith. He had a horrible game against LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad