Pre-Game Talk: Game #42: Vancouver Canucks vs. Tampa Bay Lightning - Wednesday, Jan.1st 7:00PM - TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
large.png
vs.
large.png

WHEN: Wednesday, January 1st, 7:00PM PST
WHERE: Rogers Arena, Vancouver, British Columbia
TV: TSN
RADIO: TEAM 1040AM

Vancouver Canucks

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Jannik Hansen
Chris Higgins - Ryan Kesler - Mike Santorelli
David Booth - Brad Richardson - Zack Kassian
Tom Sestito - Zac Dalpe - Dale Weise

Dan Hamhuis - Chris Tanev
Jason Garrison - Frank Corrado
Yannick Weber - Kevin Bieksa

Eddie Lack

Tampa Bay Lightning

Ondrej Palat - Tyler Johnson - Marty St. Louis
Alex Killorn - Valtteri Filppula - Teddy Purcell
J.T. Brown - Nate Thompson - Nikita Kucherov
Richard Panik - Tom Pyatt - B.J. Crombeen

Mark Barberio - Victor Hedman
J.P. Cote - Radko Gudas
Matt Carle - Andrej Sustr

Ben Bishop

Last edited:

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
I'm thinking that TBL will want to match their 1st d-pair and 1st line against Kesler's line as opposed to the Sedins because of their play of late this month. Sedins really need to step it up especially against a team whose defence has been surprisingly good lately.

Hope Tanev and Hamhuis are ready to take on St Louis and... whoever else they have on their first line (I actually don't recognize either of them).

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'm thinking that TBL will want to match their 1st d-pair and 1st line against Kesler's line as opposed to the Sedins because of their play of late this month. Sedins really need to step it up especially against a team whose defence has been surprisingly good lately.

Hope Tanev and Hamhuis are ready to take on St Louis and... whoever else they have on their first line (I actually don't recognize either of them).

Did you not watch last night's game?
Sedins were flat out great.

TB will be doing their damnedest to get their 1st pairing out vs them.

Despite the massively depressing blown coverage on the tying goal... that game last night was an outstandingly fun team performance to watch. Men vs Giroux/Mason and bunch of boys.

I fully expect a continuation vs TB.

Take it to em...

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Not denying Sedins were good last night but most organizations would probably look at a larger sample size when determining game plans. Kesler's line had an off-night last night but they were matched against the Flyers' top line the entire night (that kind of ate them alive). The Sedins need to bring more offence to the table; they've disappeared offensively this month. Sedins need to take advantage of the relative inexperience of the 2nd and 3rd pairings of TBL since they play mostly in the East.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

You realize that last night the Sedins were fantastic and the Kesler line was -3, right? You do realize that, don't you?

Not denying Sedins were good last night but most organizations would probably look at a larger sample size when determining game plans. Kesler's line had an off-night last night but they were matched against the Flyers' top line the entire night (that kind of ate them alive). The Sedins need to bring more offence to the table; they've disappeared offensively this month. Sedins need to take advantage of the relative inexperience of the 2nd and 3rd pairings of TBL since they play mostly in the East.

Sedins have also been working with a new linemate who they've finally started to gel with, or so it would seem. If you've watched the games, it seems like the first line cycles the puck but then nobody gets into a scoring position, and that's generally the non-Sedin's role. Daniel gets there too sometimes but he hasn't had his scoring touch for a while, he can still move the puck, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

I get what you are saying...
But even when the Kesler line was clearly carrying the team earlier in the month, teams always had their #1 pairing vs the Sedins.

The pinnacle example i can think of was going into the Minny game a couple weeks ago. I sort expected Suter to shadow the Kesler line considering it was running great... but he was there for every Sedin shift despite how 'cold they were running going into that game.

Coaches aren't as 'what have you done for me lately' as us fans are... especially an East team coming in... they see who our leading scorers are... they likely would of scouted the last night's game as well... Pretty sure they'll be trying get the #1 out there as much as possible....

But i do hope they do what you think they will...
At least we have last change to make it happen more often than it otherwise would..

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
You realize that last night the Sedins were fantastic and the Kesler line was -3, right? You do realize that, don't you? Or are you just arbitrarily calling out the Sedins while ignoring the second line's awful play last night because you're a Canuck fan?

Sedins have also been working with a new linemate who they've finally started to gel with, or so it would seem. If you've watched the games, it seems like the first line cycles the puck but then nobody gets into a scoring position, and that's generally the non-Sedin's role. Daniel gets there too sometimes but he hasn't had his scoring touch for a while, he can still move the puck, though.

Did you not read my follow up post? I never said that the Sedins were playing like crap, just that the Kesler line has shined brighter than they have. I understand that they're still trying to find chemistry with Hansen but two of your best players shouldn't disappear offensively in a stretch of a month and I've been an ardent Sedn supporter on these forums. What I was proposing was that teams may be more likely to match their top line against Kesler like they did last night (which is the reason why their line was -3 playing against primarily Giroux's line) because of their play this month. The Sedins need to get on the scoreboard by taking advantage of this new potential match up.

Regardless of if they still need to find chemistry with Hansen, that shouldn't excuse the Sedins for their poor offensive output this month, especially since the Sedins have had history playing with Hansen and that they've finally started to play with more chemistry the last two games. For example, Daniel has had 2 goals in the last ten games which is poor for our top line LWer who's historically been a goal scorer. Going back to the whole match up proposal, they need to take advantage of this to break out of their funk and get on the scoreboard.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Did you not read my follow up post? I never said that the Sedins were playing like crap, just that the Kesler line has shined brighter than they have. I understand that they're still trying to find chemistry with Hansen but two of your best players shouldn't disappear offensively in a stretch of a month and I've been an ardent Sedn supporter on these forums. What I was proposing was that teams may be more likely to match their top line against Kesler like they did last night (which is the reason why their line was -3 playing against primarily Giroux's line) because of their play this month. The Sedins need to get on the scoreboard by taking advantage of this new potential match up.

Regardless of if they still need to find chemistry with Hansen, that shouldn't excuse the Sedins for their poor offensive output this month, especially since the Sedins have had history playing with Hansen and that they've finally started to play with more chemistry the last two games. For example, Daniel has had 2 goals in the last ten games which is poor for our top line LWer who's historically been a goal scorer. Going back to the whole match up proposal, they need to take advantage of this to break out of their funk and get on the scoreboard.

And I'd like to thank you for letting go of reading comprehension for a second and label me as some ignorant Canuck fan.

No, I didn't see the follow up post that I quoted... :facepalm:

Even if the Sedins have had a poor month, they are our leading scorers while playing against top pairings, while the Kesler line has easier matchups (in terms of offense, they have to be better defensively). If teams start putting second pairings against the Sedins, you should expect the Sedins to start putting up even more points while the Kesler line produces less. The difference being that the second line can still be effective playing a defensive minded game against top lines and top defensive pairings while the Sedins would love to feast on weaker pairings.

And I'd like to thank you for letting go of all hockey knowledge and reasoning for a second and labeling me as someone who can't read your drivel.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I didn't think the Sedins were necessarily great last night. More of the same perimeter stuff that ultimately leads to nothing with the odd legitimate scoring chance here and there. When they're really going is when they're constantly setting up guys for grade A scoring chances and getting chances themselves.

Maybe it's just me. They looked fairly ordinary last night. Not bad, just ordinary.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I didn't think the Sedins were necessarily great last night. More of the same perimeter stuff that ultimately leads to nothing with the odd legitimate scoring chance here and there. When they're really going is when they're constantly setting up guys for grade A scoring chances and getting chances themselves.

Maybe it's just me. They looked fairly ordinary last night. Not bad, just ordinary.

They set up Hansen a few times, one of which led to a goal. They also had a 2 on 1 where Henrik actually shot for once, and Daniel had a breakaway. Plus Daniel had a goal, but it was kind of strange. Their line got two goals, and a number of chances. The Sedins have always played on the 'perimeter' until someone gets into a good position and the puck lands right on their tape. For some reason, I don't have many memories of Henrik and Daniel making powermoves to the net :dunno:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

They got better as the night went on, which is a good sign. Set up a beauty goal, had a prime scoring chance killing a penalty, had a Daniel breakaway, and along with those a few other good quality chances.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Man they had more scoring chances last night than any game all year. You miss that shorthanded shift or the shift with Hansen's goal?

Out of control.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Wow.

I haven't followed the NHL as passionately as I did as a teenager, and there are more names I don't recognize than I really want to admit to, but still I think this is a new low for me. I believe I have heard of five of Tampa's players, as listed in the OP.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Wow.

I haven't followed the NHL as passionately as I did as a teenager, and there are more names I don't recognize than I really want to admit to, but still I think this is a new low for me. I believe I have heard of five of Tampa's players, as listed in the OP.

If this was a sports movie, this Tampa Bay team would be guaranteed the cup, or pennant, or what ever. I mean I heard of the damage to Ohlund, Salo, Malone and Stamkos...but didn't Drouin make the team? What happened to Carle (bottom pairing...) and Brewer? Where are the bottom six guys I can recognize?

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Wow.

:laugh:

I know exactly what you mean. A great many strangers on that team.

Tampa is just not a team that I care to follow...even with Stamkos and St Louis.

But the fact is, they are playing pretty well this year and we will have our hands full.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Great example of how spoiled we are as Canuck fans of being able to watch the Sedins over the last decade+ that people aren't able to appreciate what they saw last night.

The PK rush... thing of beauty
The 4 short passes to each other with guys all over them blue line to enter the zone that one time... amazing.
The breakaway pass.
Pinning the D in the zone countless times.
The play on the Hansen goal...

What more do.. ahhh forget it..
Spoiled.

Ask a honest philly fan if you can find one if they were able to unclench their sphincters last night when the Sedins were on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad