GDT: Game 41 - Coyotes @ Wild - 6 PM MST - Scripps, ESPN+ - Cold? What Cold Edition

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Did you ever think that some of that success is that Schmaltz has played better as well? What you are saying is that a 4th. line C is doing what Hayton does, but maybe even better?

All it means to me is that McBain is a better fit w/Keller/Schmaltz than either of Cooley/Kerfoot right now...and McBain seems to be better than early season Hayton.

The lines we had for the Boston game and Minny game seems to be our best right now w/a heavy on every line. It seems to 'free' up the skilled guys to have more room and space.

Reactions: finkelsteinberg

IronFinn

Apr 21, 2022
Scottsdale
Hayton is fine defensively, that's it, this year anyway. He progressed last year, and then this year took a nose dive (4 pts. 16gms). IF he can get back to last year's play, I would still be disappointed but satisfied. Hayton unfortunately is not even the best C on this team. Kerfoot has passed him by, same as Bjugstad, and the way Cooley is making progress, him as well. You could flip a coin between Hayton and McBain, Hayton better in the dot but McBain much more physical.
Jakey53, I don't think that is an accurate assessment of Hayton. I do not believe he regressed at the beginning of this season. I believe the record shows that he is a notoriously slow starter. Here are the numbers:

21-22 (24 points in 60 games)
- 1 in first 9
- 3 in first 19
- 6 in first 26
- then 18 in last 34, or 0.53 pts/game in last 34

22-23 (43 points in 82 games)
- 0 in first 10
- 3 in first 27
- then 40 in last 55, or 0.72 pts/game in last 55

23-24 (4 points in 16 games so far)
- 0 in first 11
- then 4 in last 5 before injury. Small samples size, but 0.80 pts/game in last 5

And tying this into the play of Keller and Schmaltz. They are both undersized players that avoid contact and play a perimeter game. They need to play with a center that is willing to go into the corners and the front of the net and take abuse. As much as I like Kerfoot's play and hockey IQ, he does not spend much time in the tough areas, same goes for Cooley at this early point of his career. Both Hayton and McBain are willing to play the tough physical game in front of the net. They consistently draw 1 or 2 players to them do defend against them, therefore freeing up a lot more space for Keller and Schmaltz to work their magic. Hayton definitely has a better scoring touch than McBain at this point. That is why it is so important to get Hayton back.

I think Hayton needs to upgrade his gloves. Isn't this his second or third broken hand/finger/thumb of his short career?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Jakey53, I don't think that is an accurate assessment of Hayton. I do not believe he regressed at the beginning of this season. I believe the record shows that he is a notoriously slow starter. Here are the numbers:

- 1 in first 9
- 3 in first 19
- 6 in first 26

- 0 in first 10
- 3 in first 27

- 0 in first 11
- then 4 in last 5 before injury. Small samples size, but 0.80 pts/game in last 5

And tying this into the play of Keller and Schmaltz. They are both undersized players that avoid contact and play a perimeter game. They need to play with a center that is willing to go into the corners and the front of the net and take abuse. As much as I like Kerfoot's play and hockey IQ, he does not spend much time in the tough areas, same goes for Cooley at this early point of his career. Both Hayton and McBain are willing to play the tough physical game in front of the net. They consistently draw 1 or 2 players to them do defend against them, therefore freeing up a lot more space for Keller and Schmaltz to work their magic. Hayton definitely has a better scoring touch than McBain at this point. That is why it is so important to get Hayton back.

I think Hayton needs to upgrade his gloves. Isn't this his second or third broken hand/finger/thumb of his short career?
Agreed, Hayton is also our best defensive C, once he is back in the line up, our 4th best C is basically replaced. This will help us throughout the line up on D as everyone can take a little bit lesser assignments and let Hayton take the toughest matchups. When Hayton comes back, the team might make a push and be better.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Agreed, Hayton is also our best defensive C, once he is back in the line up, our 4th best C is basically replaced. This will help us throughout the line up on D as everyone can take a little bit lesser assignments and let Hayton take the toughest matchups. When Hayton comes back, the team might make a push and be better.
Ok, we can banter about Hayton until the cows come home, but BA is the only one who will determine his value to this team, and that time will be in a few months when Hayton needs a new deal. IF, BA thinks his value is a great as you and others think, he should be getting a deal similar to Maccelli or Crouse or somewhere in between as he is so great defensively, according to you, and is our 1C. BUT, what happens if BA gives him a one or two year bridge show me deal? Only BA will be able to settle this friendly Hayton banter. :nod: I would love to eat crow on this one.

- 1 in first 9
- 3 in first 19
- 6 in first 26

- 0 in first 10
- 3 in first 27

- 0 in first 11

🥱 Upgrade his gloves? Maybe try not falling down on almost every shift.

• Haha
Reactions: DustyDangler

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Ok, we can banter about Hayton until the cows come home, but BA is the only one who will determine his value to this team, and that time will be in a few months when Hayton needs a new deal. IF, BA thinks his value is a great as you and others think, he should be getting a deal similar to Maccelli or Crouse or somewhere in between as he is so great defensively, according to you, and is our 1C. BUT, what happens if BA gives him a one or two year bridge show me deal? Only BA will be able to settle this friendly Hayton banter. :nod: I would love to eat crow on this one.

🥱 Upgrade his gloves? Maybe try not falling down on almost every shift.
Let's see him get healthy first and then play the rest of this year. His play the second half of last year helps his value but his slow production and injury, have hurt his value this year. I think BA will want to look at him the last 20-30 games before he makes that decision on what to offer. If he can stay healthy, I think Hayton is more valuable to the Coyotes than either Maccelli or Crouse. They are wingers, we have plenty of them. We are weak at C, Hayton is our best C, and C is the way more important position.

BA doesn't have final say on contract, that is negotiated with the agent. Either side could want a shorter or longer deal, for different reasons.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Let's see him get healthy first and then play the rest of this year. His play the second half of last year helps his value but his slow production and injury, have hurt his value this year. I think BA will want to look at him the last 20-30 games before he makes that decision on what to offer. If he can stay healthy, I think Hayton is more valuable to the Coyotes than either Maccelli or Crouse. They are wingers, we have plenty of them. We are weak at C, Hayton is our best C, and C is the way more important position.

BA doesn't have final say on contract, that is negotiated with the agent. Either side could want a shorter or longer deal, for different reasons.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:Stop it. You making me laugh so hard I'm pissing my pants again, twice in two days. Stop with your insanity. IF that's the case, look for Hayton signing a $5 mil. 4 yr. contract.

Pretty much bet if you ask the other 31 GMs who's more valuable Hayton or Crouse? All 31 say Crouse
You can ask all 32 GM's and all would say Crouse.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

cobra427

May 6, 2012
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:Stop it. You making me laugh so hard I'm pissing my pants again, twice in two days. Stop with your insanity. IF that's the case, look for Hayton signing a $5 mil. 4 yr. contract.

You can ask all 32 GM's and all would say Crouse.
Sorry you don't understand:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad