GDT: Game 40: Avs @ Hawks | Tuesday, January 6, 6:30pm MT | Everyday is Exactly the Same

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Great win. Varly faced a lot of shots but wasn't really tested too hard until the second half of the game where he really made some strong stops. As Roy said about Brodeur a shut out's a shut out, and a 54 save shut out is pretty damn impressive, even if 2/3 of the shots were low percentage chances.

Don't like seeing Varly stretching as much as he was though. Hopefully it's just a little tightness at most, but there was a play earlier in the game where he looked like he tweaked something that had me worried even before I saw flexing as much as he was in the 3rd.

Dutchy is just a wreck. Had some glorious chances only to not get shots on net. Then when he sees Hossa high stick the puck and just standing over it playing chicken, he skates up, stops, and then slaps the puck down ice for a faceoff. All he's got to do is not touch the puck and they get a faceoff outside the zone. Now they have a dangerous draw in their own zone at the end of the game with the goalie pulled. I can't figure out for the life of me what the hell he was thinking there.

O'Reilly and Mitchell both played really strong two way games. I'm not really a big fan of his, but that pass by Mitchell off the boards to Mack for the goal was a thing of beauty. Hilarious that Talbot had the best chance you could possibly get there and he just barely scored with the puck trickling over the line. That's how bad his shot is. :laugh:

It's no shock to me that this team is finally playing well once they had a good defensive presence up the middle in the top 6 with O'Reilly playing his strong game for the first time this season. It's such a crappy situation that's developed with him, because they probably have to trade him no matter what, but he's such a perfect #2 center to throw out for matchups.

Speaking of match ups, Roy was in matchup overdrive tonight. He doesn't usually play that game, but he really kept Nate away from the tough matchups because Q was getting Kane and Toews out there against him every chance he had. Some smartass in the crowd was trying to confuse the team by whistling like Roy does, but he couldn't figure out how to do it like he did.

Great to see Nate get a goal and a nice assist from his strong skating effort to chase down that Mitchell pass for the 2 on 1. Not sure how the hell that idiot Oduya didn't get a penalty by yanking him out of the scrum by his helmet and then ripping it off him and laughing at him.

Very strong game overall. A few hiccups there but nothing too crazy, and you have to expect the Hawks to get their chances. You're not going to dominate them defensively, but the Avs did a pretty strong job despite the misleading amount of shots on net.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Had we lost this game 2-0 we'd be in full panic mode. The game was not a good one. There's no sugar coating it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Had we lost this game 2-0 we'd be in full panic mode. The game was not a good one. There's no sugar coating it.

There is nothing to take from that game other than Varly winning.

The team shouldn't feel good about it. It shows they got lucky and have a TON to work on. The passing game is awful. How many turnovers the Avs had tonight was unbelievable.

Hopefully they learn they need to actually play hockey. Or this team just isn't good...

Really? I thought their passing was pretty good. Especially early on. They've actually been much better at this lately, and tonight it was pretty sharp IMO. Really high tempo pace to the game with good puck movement. This is a far cry from earlier in the season when they played a slow game and had terrible puck movement.

This isn't just some chump team they played either, the Hawks are going to have their moments. You just have to limit the grade A chances and the Avs did that IMO. All the Hawks best chances were shots from the point through traffic.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Some smartass in the crowd was trying to confuse the team by whistling like Roy does, but he couldn't figure out how to do it like he did.

I love hearing stuff like that.

Over here in Sweden in game when we were playing at home in the playoffs the visitors took a time out and as many as possible from the audience came down as close to the bench as possible and was just screaming as loud as they could. And the whole arena was doing the same. The coach was crying so bad to the ref about their timeout being useless cause his players couldn't hear a word he was saying.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs have an easier time against Chicago than other teams that tend to dominate possession (Sharks, Blues at time) because Chicago always give up chances so Avs can get back in games. They're not as good at completely shutting down games as the heaviest defensive teams are.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Got to agree this was another piss poor effort from the Avs. Extremely lucky to come away with a win. If Varly only has a normal game instead of an all world one we probably lose something like 5-2.

We pretty much played the entire 2nd and 3rd periods in our end, we did do a good job of forcing most of their shots from the outside but thats about it. They skated circles around us and did what they pleased for the most part.

But in the end Varly bailed our butts out and we got a win. I guess it makes up for some of the games where we outplayed someone and lost.

We do need to be much better, still got to get our scorers going. I mean we scored two in the first 1:30 and then only had a few good chances from there on out. Got to start generating more chances and once they are generated start burying them.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Really? I thought their passing was pretty good. Especially early on. They've actually been much better at this lately, and tonight it was pretty sharp IMO. Really high tempo pace to the game with good puck movement. This is a far cry from earlier in the season when they played a slow game and had terrible puck movement.

This isn't just some chump team they played either, the Hawks are going to have their moments. You just have to limit the grade A chances and the Avs did that IMO. All the Hawks best chances were shots from the point through traffic.

It was better for the first 10 minutes or so. After that countless passes on offensive zone entries were picked off immediately. Or Neutral zone passes were just flubbed and also taken. I saw several times the Avs would actually get some offensive zone time to only have the puck errantly passed to the blue line with no one there.

Its a major problem.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
This team has to understand that playing offense 5 on 5 isn't that different than being on a pp if you're a good team. Get the puck in the offensive zone and establish possession. The problem - and I've said this before - is that the forwards tend to lose puck battles, force the puck down low when they should be passing it to the D, and the D does nothing except take an immediate poor shot at net or just pass the puck back to the forward under pressure. If you look at the Hawks, they played like they were on the pp all game. Just pass after pass after pass in our own zone and their D was heavily involved. The D skated around with the puck, got it to OPEN men, and took dangerous shots.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't get all the terrible and lucky comments, come on. It wasn't a work of art and they definitely hung on to the lead but they deserved the lead and played hard. Obviously the Avs are not as good as them but to say it was an abomination is just so inaccurate. It's taking everything to extremes that's tiresome. Every game is either great or terrible, every player is either fantastic or worthless, every prospect is either a stud or a bust. It gets exhausting.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
The game wasn't a total abomination. We won after all. That recent STL game was even worse. Personally I'm just trying to point that this team doesn't have the skill on the backend to allow for sustained dangerous ice time in the offensive end. Everyone but EJ and Barrie should be removed, but I don't mind Stuart and Redmond as the bottom pair.

Ham Fist

Feb 6, 2014
Boulder
I think O'Rrilly has been the best forward on the team over the last 3 weeks or so, though Dutchy was the best for the first 3 weeks or probably longer. It's a tie, they both lose.
People will say Duchene has been worse though because it's hfboards and nobody remembers what happened in the past.

Agreed ROR is really trying, not sure what was going on in the first part of the season but he's showing some heart now. Duchene just doesn't seem to know what to do with the puck...he's like a deer in the headlights out there lately :shakehead

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
was at the game tonight

glad to come away with the win but that was a piss piss poor effort and if not for Varly and poor play by the Hawks they lose that game 99% of the time

they went into a complete shell/protect the lead mode 5 minutes into the game and still had 54 shots against and probably as many icings

was good to see Stuart channel his inner Wilson (I say that as a good thing)

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
Varly not a star on nhl.com is a joke. All of them are shark players.

Pretty sure that was from last night as all the games from tonight have yet to finish.

Every game has finished.
Pretty sure that's an error as even Backes isn't there with his 4 goals.

KEc0VcB.png

Varly should think about his potential of being one of the three stars and get a different hair cut.

KingKane88

Apr 13, 2011
Duchene has been given more than enough chances and tries at breaking out of this slump and it hasn't worked. At some point Roy has to give him a little tough love.

Same thing goes for MacKinnon. A goal and an Assist doesn't negate the last several weeks of bad play from him. He (MacKinnon) needs to build on this game and put together some more strong efforts.

I hate some of you Mods, you guys make so much dang sense sometimes! ;)

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
The Avs finally rediscovered their 2013-14 formula. A nice goal or three due to the talent up front, Varlamov takes care of the rest.

I'll take the two points, but I don't get the comments about this being a good game by Colorado. They were wholly outplayed, and Varlamov was simply fantastic.

Sometimes teams lose games they should have won, sometimes they win games they should have lost. This game is a shining beacon in the second column. Take the two points and play a better team game on Thursday against Ottawa.

bradrich99

Feb 3, 2009
42°59′01″N 081°14′59″W
A win is a win is a win....

Take it, enjoy it and try to get the next one.

Some are really dominating, some nail biters. Teams are going to have all of them.

I think though that any time you can beat the Hawks it is a good win. No negatives whatsoever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad