GDT: Game 4: Hurricanes @ Devils | 7:00 p.m. on ESPN

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I wonder how those posters on the main board who were shocked people were claiming we would be heavy favorites if healthy are feeling right now.

Something, something, "elite" goaltending, something, something, we're so "fast"...
Its interesting. We thought losing Turbo would be devastating with the injuries we already had, but in reality we haven't really lost a step. Kinda speaks to just how much of a passenger that he's been this year that we can still play like this when he's not in the lineup, but also speaks to the system that Brindy has implemented. Once we got our skates under us last night after taking their best punch to start, NJ looked like they didn't even belong on the same ice as us. And they had the 3rd best record in the league.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I thought Kotkaniemi had a nice night making good board plays. I always thought Fast and Marty were "passengers" in a sense on the Staal line in that Staal was the main driver of that line. So far those two have been even better playing with Kotkaniemi. I won't read much into a small sample size, but it was a good adjustment by Rod for sure. Kotka isn't getting much recognition but he had a really good game 4.

To me this game was won in the neutral zone. I think I said this in the main board, but it was like the Canes watched this game before it happened, and then played the game afterwards. They seemingly knew every Devils pass before it happened. Rod looks like a goddamned genius of a coach in this matchup. Whatever the Devs are doing, we're doing it better. We are completely eliminating their transition game.

Giveaways in game 4 were 26!! for the Devils and 2 for the Canes. The Devils fans posted that Jack Hughes alone had 6 giveaways.

This is how you beat the Devils. You make their offensive stars turnover machines. You reign them in before they enter the offensive zone. Even if you just start to do that a little bit, bad habits creep in and they start cheating more, and it frees up the Canes for more odd man rushes.

It really looks like the Devils are mentally done. They had zero push in the third. It looked like the Canes were holding back, committed to D, but they nearly had another goal or two themselves to make the score even more lopsided. I won't believe they're out until they are out. But if I had to guess, I would guess the Devils will look pretty good for the first 10 minutes of game 5, and if we score first they will falter.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
If we advance and Florida doesn't have an all time choke vs Toronto I may try to go to 2+ games in Florida. And if we make the finals I'll probably travel to Raleigh for a game or 2. So yeah $$ down the drain but will be worth it

i was going to say that Seattle / Dallas split looked off but i didnt realize that didnt include their game 4 too.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Its interesting. We thought losing Turbo would be devastating with the injuries we already had, but in reality we haven't really lost a step. Kinda speaks to just how much of a passenger that he's been this year that we can still play like this when he's not in the lineup, but also speaks to the system that Brindy has implemented. Once we got our skates under us last night after taking their best punch to start, NJ looked like they didn't even belong on the same ice as us. And they had the 3rd best record in the league.
We can all say losing Turbo was losing another top 6 forward but let’s be honest, has he played like one this year other than for very short stretches?

He’s great defensively and on the pk but we have plenty of guys who can contribute in those ways. I’m perfectly fine with letting him move on when his contract expires. We can spend the money better elsewhere.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
We can all say losing Turbo was losing another top 6 forward but let’s be honest, has he played like one this year other than for very short stretches?

He’s great defensively and on the pk but we have plenty of guys who can contribute in those ways. I’m perfectly fine with letting him move on when his contract expires. We can spend the money better elsewhere.
I mean.... if we're in the market for a big name offensive upgrade this summer, I do wonder if we'd look to work said package around Turbo as a starting point

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I thought Kotkaniemi had a nice night making good board plays. I always thought Fast and Marty were "passengers" in a sense on the Staal line in that Staal was the main driver of that line. So far those two have been even better playing with Kotkaniemi. I won't read much into a small sample size, but it was a good adjustment by Rod for sure. Kotka isn't getting much recognition but he had a really good game 4.

To me this game was won in the neutral zone. I think I said this in the main board, but it was like the Canes watched this game before it happened, and then played the game afterwards. They seemingly knew every Devils pass before it happened. Rod looks like a goddamned genius of a coach in this matchup. Whatever the Devs are doing, we're doing it better. We are completely eliminating their transition game.

Giveaways in game 4 were 26!! for the Devils and 2 for the Canes. The Devils fans posted that Jack Hughes alone had 6 giveaways.

This is how you beat the Devils. You make their offensive stars turnover machines. You reign them in before they enter the offensive zone. Even if you just start to do that a little bit, bad habits creep in and they start cheating more, and it frees up the Canes for more odd man rushes.

It really looks like the Devils are mentally done. They had zero push in the third. It looked like the Canes were holding back, committed to D, but they nearly had another goal or two themselves to make the score even more lopsided. I won't believe they're out until they are out. But if I had to guess, I would guess the Devils will look pretty good for the first 10 minutes of game 5, and if we score first they will falter.

Yep the Canes pretty much snuffed them out in the neutral zone. I was a little concerned for about 10 minutes of the 1st when the Devils were getting pucks deep again which resulted in a goal relatively quickly. Granted it was a poor play by Pesce but they were pressuring well.

I don't have a lot of confidence in Andersen or Koch right now, so they have to continue to contain the speed of the devils and prevent them from getting setup.

We saw what happened when they completely fell off the wagon in game 3. That could happen again. The Devils watch video too. I'm certainly not expecting an easy out.

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If you want a bit of a laugh, go back and watch the Martinook goal from last night.

What in the bloody hell is Dougie doing on that play? It looks like he's trying to play the pass, but there really isn't anyone there to pass to, and even if he's trying to take away a pass to the trailing Kotkaniemi, Luke Hughes already had him covered off. He's just caught completely flat footed and gave Martinook the entire lane to get the shot off without even attempting to challenge it. Just absolutely terrible defensive play by the $9m man.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If you want a bit of a laugh, go back and watch the Martinook goal from last night.

What in the bloody hell is Dougie doing on that play? It looks like he's trying to play the pass, but there really isn't anyone there to pass to, and even if he's trying to take away a pass to the trailing Kotkaniemi, Luke Hughes already had him covered off. He's just caught completely flat footed and gave Martinook the entire lane to get the shot off without even attempting to challenge it. Just absolutely terrible defensive play by the $9m man.

He's doing $9M defenseman, but not $9M defenseman on the Hurricanes type of things.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

Counterpoint...who could have expected Martinook to snipe a goal?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

I dunno, I prefer ESPN’s call on that goal:

“Here comes Martinook, who is Wayne Gretzky all of a sudden…SCORES!”

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hotter take: Jack Drury will be this guy in another year, and Martinook will be on the wrong side of 30 for this org to overpay him as an energy guy.

Hank when we were arguing about this yesterday did you realize Martinook has another year after this?

I didn't. Lol. I just assumed based on your first post about how he's "gonna get paid" that he was up at the end of the year.

Meaning: if he reverts back into Jordan Martinook (which he almost certainly will), the shine of this series will likely have worn off by the time he's due his next payday.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Hank when we were arguing about this yesterday did you realize Martinook has another year after this?

I didn't. Lol. I just assumed based on your first post about how he's "gonna get paid" that he was up at the end of the year.

Meaning: if he reverts back into Jordan Martinook (which he almost certainly will), the shine of this series will likely have worn off by the time he's due his next payday.

I don't know. Leadership guys with two recent rings usually get at least 1 above value offer.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Q: did Fast get hurt last night (on one of the goals he made it happed but was checked hard by two guys)?

When I was watching the replay, in the 3rd, it was mentioned he was not on the bench.
Yea, I haven't heard anything since...but I do remember him taking a nasty elbow to the head behind the net right before we got one of our goals, and I don't recall seeing him much after that.

salty b!@#$ is her last name Subban?

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Yes, I realized. And no, I don't think the shine of playoff Martinook will wear off, even if he reverts next season. Teams pay for clutch performers.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
So what's different about Martinook? Did he sacrifice something for the hockey Gods or what.

Yea, I haven't heard anything since...but I do remember him taking a nasty elbow to the head behind the net right before we got one of our goals, and I don't recall seeing him much after that.

salty b!@#$ is her last name Subban?

Secretly she's thirsting for 10 points in 4 games Martinook.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad