GDT: Game #4: Dallas Stars @ St. Louis Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Unfortunately, not enough consistent energy from the team tonight. Better win in 3 periods b/c overtime in the playoffs is a crap shoot.

Two of our better forwards in terms of energy (and skill), Stas and Fabs, didn't play together. I don't get what Hitch is trying to accomplish by splitting them.....they carried us the last month of the season and set up the series winning goal against the Hawks.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Unfortunately, not enough consistent energy from the team tonight. Better win in 3 periods b/c overtime in the playoffs is a crap shoot.

Two of our better forwards in terms of energy (and skill), Stas and Fabs, didn't play together. I don't get what Hitch is trying to accomplish by splitting them.....they carried us the last month of the season and set up the series winning goal against the Hawks.

stastny was excellent tonight. fabbri was invisible.

if brouwer finishes his breakaway and tarasenkos shot goes in off the post instead of out, the game is over after 1. we decided to let the stars back in it after that and refused to continue hitting them. its no secret, when this team stops hitting and wants to get cutesy with the puck and go east-west they lose everytime. the only reason this went into OT was cause of elliott who then finally broke and let in a softy.

they need to start finishing on lehtnen and stop letting the stars hang around. the blues have proven in 3 of these 4 games that when they play their game the stars cant handle it. yet after the first tonight they stopped playing their game and they paid for it as usual.

they really need to address edmundson and all the other stupid NEEDLESS turnovers they made too. One thing to turn puck over due to the other team making a play on it, but half of ours were from stupid, pointless, awful passes.

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
Tarasenko played well.

Tarasenko got a few "Bure" looks, meaning he was there to cherry pick on a few stretch plays but he was almost invisible defensively save for a couple looks. He was floating around in the defensive zone more than he was active. Schwartz was flopping around and Lehtera was just looking over-matched.

I'd like to get a few looks at Backes centering 17 and 91 to see how that line looks. I don't buy into the idea that Lehtera is the only center who can play with Tarasenko. It's an excuse, if Vladi can't play with just about anyone in the league, he is just hype.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
That hiccup involving the Edmundson turnover and their powerplay goal was what won the game. That couple minutes changed everything.

I would definitely agree. Once again Petro goes WAY out of position chasing the puck leaving the crease wide open, regains his position, then leaves a free man skating in for a wide open shot. The puck carrier already had a man on him and no angle. Eakin walked in with a wide open net unchallenged. High forward in the box had the shooter in the high slot....Petro's guy. :shakehead Just needs to play his position some times. Just like last game with the goal called back that didn't go in. Puck's around the net...he's out by the blueline...???why???

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Tarasenko got a few "Bure" looks, meaning he was there to cherry pick on a few stretch plays but he was almost invisible defensively save for a couple looks. He was floating around in the defensive zone more than he was active. Schwartz was flopping around and Lehtera was just looking over-matched.

I'd like to get a few looks at Backes centering 17 and 91 to see how that line looks. I don't buy into the idea that Lehtera is the only center who can play with Tarasenko. It's an excuse, if Vladi can't play with just about anyone in the league, he is just hype.

Schwartz-Backes-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Stastny-Brouwer
Steen-Lehtera-Berglund

Lehtera gets some help on the defensive end of things, and Berglund has been playing well that he could help give Lehtera a boost too. 15,26 and 36 was an effective line as we all know.

If not these lines, I do hope they're considering other looks to get this team firing on all cylinders again.

BlueMagic

Oct 19, 2014
The effort was there, the execution wasn't. Blues are the better team, they just need to sharpen that focus and capitalize on their chances. I wouldn't change the lineup but I would like to see Fabbri get a few shifts with Stastny and Brouwer. We know that line can do some damage but I do understand the idea of balancing defensive responsibility.

ZigZagBluesFan

Sep 30, 2010
You've gotta think yesterday's game is completely different if Tarasenko doesn't ring his second breakaway off the post.

Two goals would've broken the Stars backs.

We played the rest of that game like we expected them to roll over and for awhile, the Stars played like it. Both teams played poorly, we just happened to play worse and gift wrap their two goals for them

Edmundson's play was completely inexcusable. That's a play that beer leaguers know not to make.

Good news is we played like trash and still could've won easily. I'm not worried about the Stars having home ice, but we better win Game 5.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
One of the biggest problems with the Blues last night is that they stopped hitting. They started skating past pucks, quit moving their legs when they did attack them and were caught reaching far too often.

Coupled with their nonchalant play (especially Tarasenko, JBo and Edmundson) and east/west passing, our identity and best play was nowhere to be found.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
The game was played with the intensity of a regular season game. It was a pretty harsh contrast with the Preds Sharks game. I think the Blues are still the favorite to win the series, but they've erased their margin for error.

More silver lining, max home game revenue in the first and second rounds.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I just don't understand the lack of urgency from these guys. They are not playing like they want this. Chicago was, by far, a superior opponent to Dallas. Dallas does not impress me. Sure, they have some nice plays when they get their legs going, but any oppositional checks throws them off of their run and gun style of play and they have no answer to the physical play. The series has been close enough that this series could be over at this very minute, and should definitely be 3-1 at this point. We can all talk and say that St. Louis is the better team, but we all know that you only get so many chances and then you are done. We are p****ng those chances away.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Blues need to play like they want it more and I think they will. They will refocus and come back stronger. These things happen, they shouldn't, but they do.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
This team don't have killer instinct yet. We had change, but we blow it.

I don't wanna blame Edmundson, but that cost the game and ball is in Dallas hands now.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Classic example of letting an overmatched team hang around. Could have easily been 3-0 after the first. You couldn't have had a team more on the ropes as the Blues had the Stars after the Tarasenko goal. Completely dominated from the mid-way point of the first and couldn't deliver the knockout blow. Dallas has to feel pretty damn good being back for Game 5 at 2-2. You'd think they'll get at least one key contributor back in the lineup and they seem to push the pace more effectively at home. Such a disappointing loss.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Was at the game last night. Very disappointing.

But then I thought, is anyone surprised that the Blues came out flat after dominated the previous game? Seems pretty typical to me.

Burynai

Nov 10, 2010
St. Louis
Worst lost of the playoffs so far. Even worse than Game 6 against CHI. No reason why they can't beat the Stars. Blues are clearly step above this team and need to stop playing around and end it in 6. Classic Blues.......Cup or bust with this team

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Blues don't seem to have an issue winning in Dallas, the ball is still in their court. If they want it bad enough...if they want to take the next step, this series is still over in 6.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Worst lost of the playoffs so far. Even worse than Game 6 against CHI. No reason why they can't beat the Stars. Blues are clearly step above this team and need to stop playing around and end it in 6. Classic Blues.......Cup or bust with this team

Worse than game six in Chicago? I don't know about that. Being up 3-1 and then losing 6-3...that's pretty bad.

rivoshy 1774

Oct 9, 2013
ontario, Can
they gave away home ice due to a lackluster effort. seems like a legit reason to be down on them.

they were lucky this even went into OT. turnovers galore. this was a ugly game and should have been a dallas blowout.

Put your goggles on straight boy. In no way should that have been a blowout for Dallas getting tired of your negative attitude.

LGB

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Put your goggles on straight boy. In no way should that have been a blowout for Dallas getting tired of your negative attitude.

LGB

guess you didnt see the entire 3rd period where after our first shift, we played not to lose and sat back the entire period. dallas would have won in a blowout if not for elliott.

getting tired of your homer attitude.

LGB

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
The Blues as a team are close to being a good playoff team, but they just lack the killer instinct. I think with a bit of team turn over and filling in some spots, they can be that team next year. But I'm getting tired of saying "next year". I fear that the Blues are their own worst enemy in the next game because the Stars will get Seguin back next game and will be flying. If the Blues come out flat again, I'll predict a repeat of the Minny series last year and we'll be watching the lines shake hands here on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad