GDT: Game #38: Jets vs Coyotes - 5:00pm - Scripps - "I want some SpicyDyl to go with my fries" Edition.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Shit looks bad now, but the panthers are the 6th team in the league and are on a heater, the jets are the top team in the league and on a heater, and the islanders player sorokin who we never score on. It’s just a run of teams we kinda have no shot against. Doesn’t help that the bruins are next and the rest of the month is a meat grinder too.
BA said that this will give them a good idea of where they are at.

The only good thing from this game was for the first time Guenther played like a top ten pick in an NHL game. Looks like the AHL did him good. He looked stronger and more confident than at any point last season.
I don't see how you could say that after 1 game.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
The Jets had a rough start to the year. They don't have any superstars. You talk Oilers, McDavid name comes up, some as Crosby and other teams with superstars. At the first of the year I don't think the Jets name even came up as SC contenders. They have slowly shot up the standings. They made that big trade and no one knew how that would work out. I'll stick with sneaky good.
He is not a superstar because NHL media coverage is inconsistent However, if being a superstar was based on ability, Kyle Connor would qualify. He has averaged 86.5pts the last two seasons and was a on a 50g+ pace before Strome took him out. All the more impressive is this Jets run lacking such an important piece.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
In Keller's defense, his line was dominant on some shifts last night. Like the one that resulted in Pionk taking a slashing penalty. It looked like the Yotes were having a great power play but it was 5v5.

Keller is clearly frustrated though. Showing it in his body language.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I am really beginning to wonder, in a positive way of course, if Keller wants out. He looks undedicated and unhappy. If the other players know, thats not good.

If Keller is unhappy it's because he was over a point-per-game last season. This season he's currently at .842 points-per-game. BA gave him more talent to play with this season and he's not getting it done. He's frustrated with himself.

I think Keller & Schmaltz become noticeable again when Hayton comes back to C their line. There's chemistry there that they haven't had since he went down to injury.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
He is not a superstar because NHL media coverage is inconsistent However, if being a superstar was based on ability, Kyle Connor would qualify. He has averaged 86.5pts the last two seasons and was a on a 50g+ pace before Strome took him out. All the more impressive is this Jets run lacking such an important piece.
Just my opinion but 80 something points isn't a super star. I think it's 100 and up . Again just my opinion. Or 50 plus goals on a kinda regular basis.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Just my opinion but 80 something points isn't a super star. I think it's 100 and up . Again just my opinion. Or 50 plus goals on a kinda regular basis.
All subjective in how you classify. Toronto just gave $11.5m to a forward who had 7 more points than Connor last year and the Leafs previously gave $11m to another forward who had the same points as him. I would dare say hockey media considers the two Leafs forwards to be superstars. Connor is on par with whatever they are or, bringing it more local, he is on par with Keller so whatever we think Keller is.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
All subjective in how you classify. Toronto just gave $11.5m to a forward who had 7 more points than Connor last year and the Leafs previously gave $11m to another forward who had the same points as him. I would dare say hockey media considers the two Leafs forwards to be superstars. Connor is on par with whatever they are or, bringing it more local, he is on par with Keller so whatever we think Keller is.
Nylander is not a super star, Keller is nowhere near a super star, Connor is not a super star, Matthews is a super star. All my opinion.

Edit: and Tavares is also not a super star

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Nylander is playing like a superstar this season...

my list of Superstars

Kucherov, Crosby, Pastrnak, Matthews, McDavid, Draisaitl, Makar, MacKinnon, Panarin, Jack Hughes, Hedman, Ovechkin (still gets included - but having a horrific season)

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Nylander is playing like a superstar this season...

my list of Superstars

Kucherov, Crosby, Pastrnak, Matthews, McDavid, Draisaitl, Makar, MacKinnon, Panarin, Jack Hughes, Hedman, Ovechkin (still gets included - but having a horrific season)

Obvious anti-goalie bias. :laugh:

Reactions: DustyDangler

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
4 PP's. The Jets are a sneaky good team. No super stars, but a four line deep team, with a pretty good coach, and let's not forget their goalie, one of the best. Would hate to meet the Jets in the playoffs.
No superstars but several star players IMO: Hellebucyk, Morrissey, Scheifele and Connor.

And a very deep roster.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Putting more thought into this, below is approximately how I would classify and so would downgrade Connor types in this model. Not all inclusive, just examples of players I think would drop into each category.

Elite/Franchise players:
McDavid
Matthews
Pasta
Kucherov
MacKinnon
Makar
Pettersson

Hellebuyck
Ullmark
Shesterkin

Superstars