GDT: Game 38: Columbus at Florida | 12/27 6PM EST

KlichkoBro*

Let the lynch mob commence!

Ryan Murray is 22. If he's a bust it's because your expectations suck.

And say whatever you want about Nick Foligno's salary or his captainship (which you probably know nothing about), but he's never given us reason to question his work ethic. The last two games have been execrable, and we absolutely could have used him out there. He had 7 pts in his last 8 games and is finishing every check, as usual. But nevermind, excuse me for interrupting the witch hunt. There must be blood!
I'd agree with this, except that Foligno had 8 points in his last 8 games.
Murray is doing just fine for a guy who's missed almost 2 of the last 3 seasons.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I really don't think this is a bad team, they have alot of talent at forward and alot of young defenseman still learning the game. However, having alot of talent and looking good on paper means squat when the games start. Maybe these guys just aren't a good mix together. All around. Maybe we have too many guys who think they're more talented (like Hartnell on the 3rd line, Atkinson bouncing around the middle 6). You can't have 3 lines that all think they can score, everyone needs a role. I don't think anyone on this team plays a role other than Calvert as an energy guy. If they do have roles nobody freaking plays it. I don't know, this season is sickening.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I really don't think this is a bad team, they have alot of talent at forward and alot of young defenseman still learning the game. However, having alot of talent and looking good on paper means squat when the games start. Maybe these guys just aren't a good mix together. All around. Maybe we have too many guys who think they're more talented (like Hartnell on the 3rd line, Atkinson bouncing around the middle 6). You can't have 3 lines that all think they can score, everyone needs a role. I don't think anyone on this team plays a role other than Calvert as an energy guy. If they do have roles nobody freaking plays it. I don't know, this season is sickening.

I do agree that our lines don't have a lot of coherence or purpose. TR changed lines too much and JT is worse. He changes them every game. I've given up tracking the changes because you can just assume they go back in the blender at the end of every game.

I don't agree that "You can't have 3 lines that all think they can score". In this era you need 3 lines that can score, if not 4. Lines can have different roles and identities, but getting more goals than the other team is universally helpful, and more and more of the league is getting that. In other words, the strategies can be different, but the end goal is the same for every line.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Ever since Jenner approached Hartnell in goals he has been in some sort of hero mode going against flow of the game.

Ok, I only watched the highlights of this game but that happened couple times even in there again. Second time was foolish challenge against the greatest center in the NHL, Aleksander Barkov, who took it like a lollipop from a child...

Positives then are that Barkov junior cannot be stopped so the result is understandable.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I was surprised to read Joey wasn't on the ice for the last 10 mins. I thought he was just playing like normal.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Let the lynch mob commence!

Ryan Murray is 22. If he's a bust it's because your expectations suck.

And say whatever you want about Nick Foligno's salary or his captainship (which you probably know nothing about), but he's never given us reason to question his work ethic. The last two games have been execrable, and we absolutely could have used him out there. He had 7 pts in his last 8 games and is finishing every check, as usual. But nevermind, excuse me for interrupting the witch hunt. There must be blood!

Foligno is on pace for 38 points this season. And fair or unfair , when the coach night in and night out says that the team wasn't ready to play when the puck dropped , that he absolutely believes the talent is here , and u have a star center that is benched nearly every third period for lack of effort, that's on foligno as the captain . You expect your captain to be the leader of the team . As for Murray , he's 22 coming off injuries . Atleast he appears to be playing hard , even if that's resulting in some boneheaded plays . That's the life of nearly every young defenseman in the Nhl.. Murray is hardly the problem with this team .

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Foligno is on pace for 38 points this season. And fair or unfair , when the coach night in and night out says that the team wasn't ready to play when the puck dropped , that he absolutely believes the talent is here , and u have a star center that is benched nearly every third period for lack of effort, that's on foligno as the captain . You expect your captain to be the leader of the team . As for Murray , he's 22 coming off injuries . Atleast he appears to be playing hard , even if that's resulting in some boneheaded plays . That's the life of nearly every young defenseman in the Nhl.. Murray is hardly the problem with this team .

Yes, on the plus side, Murray has played every game (knock on wood) and is getting some key minutes now that he's hopefully learning from.

On the down side, he's nowhere near the defenseman the front office and the fans hoped he would be when finally healthy. He's lost a lot of time in his development, so maybe he's going to take the long road to his potential. But I feel he's lost a step that I worry is due to the prior knee problems, and it might not come back.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
don't say that on twitter...lol Mixer and I went back and forth about how he thinks Campbell is good... :shakehead

Mixer will never ever talk about any cbj player or anyone else in the organization in a bad way.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
I actually miss Dan Kamal, who at least had the guts to call it without rose colored glasses when he was here. And....that's also probably why he still isn't here, I guess.

Mixer strikes me as the players, i.e.: frat boys' ugly friend who wants the boys to like him so he can hang out with them. I guess he appeals to a demographic different than mine.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I actually miss Dan Kamal, who at least had the guts to call it without rose colored glasses when he was here. And....that's also probably why he still isn't here, I guess.

i know that story, still quite close with Dan...its one for offline over drinks...Dan is a GREAT guy...

Kington91

Apr 30, 2012
Grandview Heights

Mixer strikes me as the players, i.e.: frat boys' ugly friend who wants the boys to like him so he can hang out with them. I guess he appeals to a demographic different than mine.

Little rude to call him out like that. Rob is a great guy.

However... I know what you mean by it. Just thought the example was unnecessarily harsh.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
don't say that on twitter...lol Mixer and I went back and forth about how he thinks Campbell is good... :shakehead

He actually talks hockey? I thought he only talked about OU and Cleveland. Maybe I'll need to refollow him.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Little rude to call him out like that. Rob is a great guy.

However... I know what you mean by it. Just thought the example was unnecessarily harsh.

Geez, it's a metaphor. I have no idea what he looks like. It's a reference to a hanger-on-er...
Are you his mom?

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Folks, we are losing to teams that are better than us. This shouldn't be a surprising result when every team is better

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Same for Bob McElligot which is why I have a hard time listening to CBJ in 30

Is this a Columbus thing? I follow both Cleveland and Columbus teams and the Cleveland announcers/flagship stations seem far more critical of their teams than Columbus ones do.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Is this a Columbus thing? I follow both Cleveland and Columbus teams and the Cleveland announcers/flagship stations seem far more critical of their teams than Columbus ones do.

Cleveland announcers have had losing professional teams for awhile now. You know how everyone thinks the Columbus organization has been poorly run for 15 years now? Well, imagine that but with three teams. I guess the kicker is that all of those Cleveland teams used to be really good and now are pretty bad. The Cavs had a great run when LeBron was drafted. You saw what happened when he left. At least he came back again though

Cleveland has been an especially tortured sports city.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I have the same question blah had? How do you do all these call-ups with a full roster and a tight cap? Concrete or at least reasonable examples can help your case. Other wise it is too abstract.

We've had injuries and they could have eaten the money and sent Bourque and Clarkson down, Golobouef too for that matter. Massive call ups was frustration talking but to not call up anyone of any merit that can spark the offense, i.e. Milano, Bjorkstrand(yes i know he was hurt but he isn't not) etc. is garbage, our offense needs a spark and so does the defense yet they haven't made any moves at all to bring someone up since they can't make a trade.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

It really bothers me that some, most of the players in the post game say they played well most of the time and "just didn't get the breaks". Joey, Atkinson, Johnson, Foligno....they only guys that are mad and not afraid to say so is Dubi and Boone most of the time. Foligno was a horrible choice for captain and Jarmo is the one that made that decision, another issue I have with him, captain is supposed to be decided by the room and the coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad