BRUINS GDT GAME 36 7:08 PM - THE BEAR starts 2024 in historic Columbus - NESN, ESPN+, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1704192610407.png

1704192707572.png

1704192778931.png

1704192850028.png
1704192947739.png

Tonight's Officials

1704193266233.png
1704193137363.png

Referees Peter MacDougall (38), Kyle Rehman (10)
Linespersons Mark Shewchyk (92), Jesse Marquis (86)

TONIGHT’S GAME- The Bruins visit the Blue Jackets tonight in the third and final game between these teams this season and the second of two games at Nationwide Arena this year ... The Bruins are 22-7- 6 overall this season and they are 11-5-3 on the road ... They are 13-5-4 in games vs. Eastern Conference teams this season.-The Bruins open 2024 in Columbus tonight ... They will next return home to host Pittsburgh on 1/4 and Tampa Bay on 1/6

MILESTONES APPROACHING- Pavel Zacha is 1 goal shy of his 100th NHL goal.- Brad Marchand is 5 points shy of his 900th NHL point.- Brandon Carlo is 6 points short of his 100th NHL point.

INJURIES (60 Man-games lost)- Derek Forbort: LTIR

BOSTON vs COLUMBUS, LIFETIME SERIES- The Bruins and Blue Jackets are meeting for the 41st time in their histories with a 25-10-0-5 mark and a 134-103 scoring advantage in those games.- The Bruins are 12-6-0-3 lifetime in 21 games at Columbus with a 73-60 scoring edge in those contests.- The Bruins are 7-1-0 in their last eight meetings vs. these teams, including a 5-2 Boston loss on 11/27 and a 3-1 home win on 12/3.

The Boston Bruins have turned around their fortunes since returning from the NHL's three-day holiday break.

Just over a week removed from the end of a four-game skid, the Bruins visit the Columbus Blue Jackets on Tuesday night in search of their fourth consecutive win and third on the road in that span.

"There could have been a lot to dwell on, but everyone did a great job of resetting and starting fresh and just making sure that we focused on building our game," defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk said.

Boston had Monday off after sweeping a weekend back-to-back -- with the help of three players tallying two-goal games -- and subsequently becoming the second team to reach 50 points in the overall NHL standings.

Shattenkirk and David Pastrnak accounted for four of Boston's five goals in a 5-2 win over New Jersey on Saturday, while Trent Frederic netted a pair and added an assist as the Bruins were 5-2 winners in Detroit on Sunday.

Coach Jim Montgomery believes that the Bruins' recent 0-2-2 skid is a thing of the past.

"I think we're absolutely past that," Montgomery said. "I like the way we are competing for each other and the energy on the bench. Even though some guys might not be getting the minutes they want right now, they are being incredible teammates."

It has taken total team efforts to get back on track, and Jake DeBrusk's offensive coming-out party has helped. DeBrusk, who had been on an 11-game goal-scoring drought, has scored in consecutive games and tallied five points over the last three.

"We're playing the way we've got to to win," Bruins captain Brad Marchand said. "We are taking care of pucks, putting them in good areas to get back."

Boston finished the 2023 calendar year with a league-record 32 road wins, 11 of which have come this season (11-5-3).

Columbus has lost four of its last five games but is 4-3-3 over its last 10, including a 3-2 overtime loss in Buffalo on Saturday that was its third straight to end in an extra session (1-0-2).

Despite goals by Damon Severson and Adam Fantilli, the Blue Jackets could not find the winning bounce after holding 1-0 and 2-1 leads. However, Daniil Tarasov's 39-save performance earned them a point.

"It's huge," Columbus coach Pascal Vincent said. "I thought in the third we were under fire. ... But getting a point (on Saturday) in a back-to-back like we did, (after) a very emotional game (against Toronto on Friday), I think we're finishing (2023) on a good note."

Fantilli, who has recently played on a line with Johnny Gaudreau, is the fifth teenager in Blue Jackets history to record a point streak of at least four games.

"I'm trying to take from (Gaudreau's poise)," Fantilli said. "Just watching how smart he is and try and follow that and try and take some of that poise into my game."

Goaltender Elvis Merzlikins (illness) did not travel to Buffalo after leaving last Friday's game early. Tarasov started, with Spencer Martin as the backup.

The Blue Jackets recalled Jake Christiansen from AHL affiliate Cleveland while placing Zach Werenski (ankle) on injured reserve. Christiansen partnered with Erik Gudbranson, balancing out lefties and righties on the team's three pairs.

"I just believe it puts everyone in the position to succeed," Vincent said. "I've never played that position, but the people that I spoke to (said) it's hard because the game is different (playing on the off side) -- the way you pivot, the way you defend, the way you attack."

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
If the Bruins play with the heart we saw in the last three games, this should be a win. I loved how they didn't wilt when the officials blatantly favoured the Wings. That is how you respond, go win the game, no pouting and slumping shoulders.

Hoping for a fun game to start off the new year! Silence the cannon please.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
If the Bruins play with the heart we saw in the last three games, this should be a win. I loved how they didn't wilt when the officials blatantly favoured the Wings. That is how you respond, go win the game, no pouting and slumping shoulders.

Hoping for a fun game to start off the new year! Silence the cannon please.
Can you imagine sitting next to that thing and not knowing what's about to happen when a goal is scored? Dumbest idea in pro sports IMO.

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
Heh, we have the first Dunkin. We're better. Although I never eat fast food, Wendy's is better than McGarbage and BK.
Let's be honest - Dunks is garbage. Was good maybe 15+ years ago now it is terrible.

Also, McDonalds > BK > Wendy's.

LFG BRUINS

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Here's hoping for some decent officiating tonight, a big ask, but it surely cannot be anything like that last game against Detroit.

Reactions: bbfan419 and lopey

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
"Black eyed peas . It's New Year's day ."

I posted this on the post game thread last night to see if any yanks commented

Last edited:

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
Monty says Merk got called up for his 200 foot game.
Doesn't play him when protecting a lead.
Now pigeon-holes him at 4th line even though he's weak at faceoffs...

Kid must be pretty confused right now.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Continue this sustained winning streak. Playbwith heart. Play hard. Be ready from puck drop. Be physical. Battle on the boards. Pucks to the net. Don't shy away from anything. Pass with purpose and when it time to clear the puck, clear it! We got this. Let's go!

You already know the drill!

giphy.gif

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Tonight's Officials

View attachment 794278View attachment 794277

Referees Peter MacDougall (38), Kyle Rehman (10)
Linespersons Mark Shewchyk (92), Jesse Marquis (86)

TONIGHT’S GAME- The Bruins visit the Blue Jackets tonight in the third and final game between these teams this season and the second of two games at Nationwide Arena this year ... The Bruins are 22-7- 6 overall this season and they are 11-5-3 on the road ... They are 13-5-4 in games vs. Eastern Conference teams this season.-The Bruins open 2024 in Columbus tonight ... They will next return home to host Pittsburgh on 1/4 and Tampa Bay on 1/6

MILESTONES APPROACHING- Pavel Zacha is 1 goal shy of his 100th NHL goal.- Brad Marchand is 5 points shy of his 900th NHL point.- Brandon Carlo is 6 points short of his 100th NHL point.

INJURIES (60 Man-games lost)- Derek Forbort: LTIR

BOSTON vs COLUMBUS, LIFETIME SERIES- The Bruins and Blue Jackets are meeting for the 41st time in their histories with a 25-10-0-5 mark and a 134-103 scoring advantage in those games.- The Bruins are 12-6-0-3 lifetime in 21 games at Columbus with a 73-60 scoring edge in those contests.- The Bruins are 7-1-0 in their last eight meetings vs. these teams, including a 5-2 Boston loss on 11/27 and a 3-1 home win on 12/3.

The Boston Bruins have turned around their fortunes since returning from the NHL's three-day holiday break.

Just over a week removed from the end of a four-game skid, the Bruins visit the Columbus Blue Jackets on Tuesday night in search of their fourth consecutive win and third on the road in that span.

"There could have been a lot to dwell on, but everyone did a great job of resetting and starting fresh and just making sure that we focused on building our game," defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk said.

Boston had Monday off after sweeping a weekend back-to-back -- with the help of three players tallying two-goal games -- and subsequently becoming the second team to reach 50 points in the overall NHL standings.

Shattenkirk and David Pastrnak accounted for four of Boston's five goals in a 5-2 win over New Jersey on Saturday, while Trent Frederic netted a pair and added an assist as the Bruins were 5-2 winners in Detroit on Sunday.

Coach Jim Montgomery believes that the Bruins' recent 0-2-2 skid is a thing of the past.

"I think we're absolutely past that," Montgomery said. "I like the way we are competing for each other and the energy on the bench. Even though some guys might not be getting the minutes they want right now, they are being incredible teammates."

It has taken total team efforts to get back on track, and Jake DeBrusk's offensive coming-out party has helped. DeBrusk, who had been on an 11-game goal-scoring drought, has scored in consecutive games and tallied five points over the last three.

"We're playing the way we've got to to win," Bruins captain Brad Marchand said. "We are taking care of pucks, putting them in good areas to get back."

Boston finished the 2023 calendar year with a league-record 32 road wins, 11 of which have come this season (11-5-3).

Columbus has lost four of its last five games but is 4-3-3 over its last 10, including a 3-2 overtime loss in Buffalo on Saturday that was its third straight to end in an extra session (1-0-2).

Despite goals by Damon Severson and Adam Fantilli, the Blue Jackets could not find the winning bounce after holding 1-0 and 2-1 leads. However, Daniil Tarasov's 39-save performance earned them a point.

"It's huge," Columbus coach Pascal Vincent said. "I thought in the third we were under fire. ... But getting a point (on Saturday) in a back-to-back like we did, (after) a very emotional game (against Toronto on Friday), I think we're finishing (2023) on a good note."

Fantilli, who has recently played on a line with Johnny Gaudreau, is the fifth teenager in Blue Jackets history to record a point streak of at least four games.

"I'm trying to take from (Gaudreau's poise)," Fantilli said. "Just watching how smart he is and try and follow that and try and take some of that poise into my game."

Goaltender Elvis Merzlikins (illness) did not travel to Buffalo after leaving last Friday's game early. Tarasov started, with Spencer Martin as the backup.

The Blue Jackets recalled Jake Christiansen from AHL affiliate Cleveland while placing Zach Werenski (ankle) on injured reserve. Christiansen partnered with Erik Gudbranson, balancing out lefties and righties on the team's three pairs.

"I just believe it puts everyone in the position to succeed," Vincent said. "I've never played that position, but the people that I spoke to (said) it's hard because the game is different (playing on the off side) -- the way you pivot, the way you defend, the way you attack."

Never knew that about Wendy's.Thanks for fine GDT :thumbu:

Why is Beecher out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad