Post-Game Talk: Game 35 - OOF!!!! - Los Angeles 4 BRUINS 3 F/OT

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
But, but, but what about the kids?

We can’t trade a guy who might top out at a middle six forward or 2nd pair defenseman for 4 months of quality RW play!

Screw 2023....

This is their best chance for a cup in the next 5.

Make a move!

What about the kids? I agree that none of them has truly shown they're NHL ready or are going to be 1st/2nd line players in the foreseeable future so why not use a couple of them to get a real 2RW? :dunno:

Chara, Bergeron, You Know Who & Krejci are not getting any younger. :rant:

Last edited:
Reactions: sarge88 and Strafer

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Is Cassidy that worried about Pastrnak's defense? I didn't get the chance to watch most of the game, but if the top line isn't producing, why not switch things up?

I think it had more to do with Bergy winning seemingly every faceoff last night than anything else.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Those two breakaway goals were absolute killers. There was no excuse for letting the Kings scorers on those goals just fly up the ice without so much as being breathed on by a Bruin. If Rask had been on his game he might have stopped those 2 shots but he wasn't so he didn't- and when you know your goaltender doesn't have it that night the rest of the team needs to step up on defense to help him out. The Bruins failed miserably in that respect.

Also, in addition to breakaways they clearly need to work on not having TMMOI, on playing OT and shoot outs. WTF is the coaching staff on this?? Shit keeps happening & costing them games/points. The Bruins really need to tighten their discipline here or they're not going to go as far as we all want them to go.

Last but not least- get.a.real.2RW. Not Charlie Coyle- he's much better at 3C than 2RW. Not Kovalchuk, at best he would be a temporary solution. Get someone who will be here awhile. Sweeney needs to stop putting band aids on a wound that requires a tourniquet.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Those two breakaway goals were absolute killers. There was no excuse for letting the Kings scorers on those goals just fly up the ice without so much as being breathed on by a Bruin. If Rask had been on his game he might have stopped those 2 shots but he wasn't so he didn't- and when you know your goaltender doesn't have it that night the rest of the team needs to step up on defense to help him out. The Bruins failed miserably in that respect.

Also, in addition to breakaways they clearly need to work on not having TMMOI, on playing OT and shoot outs. WTF is the coaching staff on this?? **** keeps happening & costing them games/points. The Bruins really need to tighten their discipline here or they're not going to go as far as we all want them to go.

Last but not least- get.a.real.2RW. Not Charlie Coyle- he's much better at 3C than 2RW. Not Kovalchuk, at best he would be a temporary solution. Get someone who will be here awhile. Sweeney needs to stop putting band aids on a wound that requires a tourniquet.

How exactly do you work on that?

Reactions: lopey

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

Also, in addition to breakaways they clearly need to work on not having TMMOI, on playing OT and shoot outs. WTF is the coaching staff on this?? **** keeps happening & costing them games/points. The Bruins really need to tighten their discipline here or they're not going to go as far as we all want them to go.

I'm seeing players not execute and its due to coaching. Bad passing for over a month now. STOP SENDING GRENADES. Do passing drills for everyone and how to softly receive them. Practice saucer passing. The COyle line in OT was a confusing mess of "They have no clue what they are doing and are just playing keep away."

Players look iffy, but its all fundamentals that I see suffering right now. Pasta giving up on the breakaway and letting Rask take care of it was lazy. I am sure he was tired but that whole scenario was a disaster. The back flip of the puck out of the crease to noone in a black and gold Jersey was a panick move that would not have been done if the team was confident in their shooting.
Oh, yesh...
SHOOTING.
Please run some shooting drills. There were so many shots that went wide of the net last night. And I dont mean just wide, I mean next county WTH wide. Look at McAvoys best chance of the game and he is at the slot side of the left circle and he puts a shot from 10 feet of the net so far wide it goes right past everyone and hits the advertisement sign in the corner. Not the back wall, THE FAR CORNER. He was at least 7 to 8 feet off. If it was a lone shot I would let it pass as a boggled shot on a lively puck, but it was happening everywhere.

Ice bad? PRACTICE PLAYING ON BAD ICE. Work on puck handling and passing. Work on settling down shots on pucks.

DO SOMETHING, COACHES.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'm seeing players not execute and its due to coaching. Bad passing for over a month now. STOP SENDING GRENADES. Do passing drills for everyone and how to softly receive them. Practice saucer passing. The COyle line in OT was a confusing mess of "They have no clue what they are doing and are just playing keep away."

Players look iffy, but its all fundamentals that I see suffering right now. Pasta giving up on the breakaway and letting Rask take care of it was lazy. I am sure he was tired but that whole scenario was a disaster. The back flip of the puck out of the crease to noone in a black and gold Jersey was a panick move that would not have been done if the team was confident in their shooting.
Oh, yesh...
SHOOTING.
Please run some shooting drills. There were so many shots that went wide of the net last night. And I dont mean just wide, I mean next county WTH wide. Look at McAvoys best chance of the game and he is at the slot side of the left circle and he puts a shot from 10 feet of the net so far wide it goes right past everyone and hits the advertisement sign in the corner. Not the back wall, THE FAR CORNER. He was at least 7 to 8 feet off. If it was a lone shot I would let it pass as a boggled shot on a lively puck, but it was happening everywhere.

Ice bad? PRACTICE PLAYING ON BAD ICE. Work on puck handling and passing. Work on settling down shots on pucks.

DO SOMETHING, COACHES.

Practice? Your talkin' bout practice??

Players not executing is the fault of the players, not the coaches.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
On the Kings shorty, was does Pastrnak just lunge in like that? Why not just skate backwards and contain Kempe? Anyway, this team needs a kick in the butt. Some kind of shuffling. Don't know if Kovalchuk is that 'kick in the butt' but these guys just seem way too comfortable. That being said a bad stretch in December is far better than a bad stretch heading into the playoffs. Close out the break with 2 tough games. 4 points would put all this to bed.
Sorry but it's obvious to everyone including the players that Sweeney lacks the nerve to make an actual hockey trade that will tweak the lineup. He is loyal to his players to a fault! These guys ARE too comfortable and it shows. I miss one thing about Harry's time, if a team starts to look apathetic he'd make a move to kick 'em in the a$$ . Whether by trade or dumping a coach suddenly he wouldn't stand pat for it. Every guy on that bench knows that Sweeney is in love with them and they don't feel any sense of urgency IMO. The need is apparent, the time is now, do it (shakeup) Donnie!

Last edited:
Reactions: kdog82

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
We all know Rask is the main guy, if we like it or not, I'd start Tuukka again. He needs to get his game back. Bruce has to show some confidence in him.
One problem with Rask is his fragile ego. Last week after a (the) win Cassidy declared Halak "the best number one goalie in the world." I'm sure it was a slip but a guy like Rask can not hear that. He's as fragile a goaltender as I've ever seen. I go back to the days of Cheevers, Parent, Dryden etc and those guys had ego's as big as the sky.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Honestly I don't know. I do know players have to be more situationally aware than they have been- failing to do this is what has led to those TMMOI penalties. If there is a way to practice that then they need to do it.
I remember it being pretty simple from my glory days when playing, if I played at either C/RW, when that player comes off, I go on, not before

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
I remember it being pretty simple from my glory days when playing, if I played at either C/RW, when that player comes off, I go on, not before
My old coach made us bag skate the next practice if we ever got a two many men on the ice penalty. Needless to say we did not get many. And the player that was responsible for the penalty got it good from the other players.

Reactions: Strafer

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
My old coach made us bag skate the next practice if we ever got a two many men on the ice penalty. Needless to say we did not get many. And the player that was responsible for the penalty got it good from the other players.

must have had the same coach:laugh:

I honestly don`t recall TMM penalties being much of a thing, more a rarity but I seem to see it quite a bit in the NHL. I`m guessing it`s often due to this being a game with such a small margin for error and maybe a player is just so amped to hop over the board that the one he`s replacing didn`t make it back to the bench in time? I dunno:dunno:

Reactions: Strafer and lopey

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
must have had the same coach:laugh:

I honestly don`t recall TMM penalties being much of a thing, more a rarity but I seem to see it quite a bit in the NHL. I`m guessing it`s often due to this being a game with such a small margin for error and maybe a player is just so amped to hop over the board that the one he`s replacing didn`t make it back to the bench in time? I dunno:dunno:
Funny how the refs missed the one Brick highlighted in the third

Reactions: Strafer and lopey

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
"You play the way you practice"- some coach in my distant past.

Oh gawd, don`t remind me, my last AAA coach benched me the first 10 minutes of a game because he felt I was dogging it in the bloody warmups. He said I wasn`t moving, going through the motions and when I took a shot on our goalie, just tossed up creampuffs when he wanted our goalie(s) to get a feel for the puck and they couldn`t with softies like that.

I didn`t like what he said and did but he was right, the warmups (as well as practices) were the chance to get my blood flowing and get myself into game mode and I wasn`t doing it on that night, never did that again, it was embarrassing sitting on the bench

Reactions: Strafer and BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Sorry but it's obvious to everyone including the players that Sweeney lacks the nerve to make an actual hockey trade that will tweak the lineup. He is loyal to his players to a fault! These guys ARE too comfortable and it shows. I miss one thing about Harry's time, if a team starts to look apathetic he'd make a move to kick 'em in the a$$ . Whether by trade or dumping a coach suddenly he wouldn't stand pat for it. Every guy on that bench knows that Sweeney is in love with them and they don't feel any sense of urgency IMO. The need is apparent, the time is now, do it (shakeup) Donnie!

That was a common complaint about Peter Chiarelli, that he fell in love with his players. It seems no GM is entirely immune.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

The problem is that when you play pro coaches rarely roll blindly - its all about match-ups. Things can get pretty hectic, especially with all the cat and mouse antics coaches do to sneek players in on another line to beat their match-up. No excuse, Bruins have to be better, but its much more complicated than being #3RW waiting for #2RW to get off.

Reactions: Strafer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad