GDT: Game 34: Oilers @ Avs | Saturday, December 19th, 8pm MT (CBC) | Rollin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
We laughed so hard when he said that. :laugh:

Heard from a couple of the guys that Beauch is an unbelievable leader. Extremely hard worker and huge competitor. It's funny because when he was on the Leafs, I heard the opposite but that was likely his level of frustration with the Leafs and how they treated him. All I hear from our team is how precise and detailed he is. You can see his passion, too. The CBC feed in the first period picked up Beauch swearing at the refs a few times. Dudes a warrior.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
Heard from a couple of the guys that Beauch is an unbelievable leader. Extremely hard worker and huge competitor. It's funny because when he was on the Leafs, I heard the opposite but that was likely his level of frustration with the Leafs and how they treated him. All I hear from our team is how precise and detailed he is. You can see his passion, too. The CBC feed in the first period picked up Beauch swearing at the refs a few times. Dudes a warrior.

He's been our most consistent D this year. If he keeps this play up all year and doesn't wear down over the course of the season, we have the best ufa signing of the year imo. A top pairing LD is exactly what the doctor ordered:D

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Most of the Ducks fans were fine him leaving. I guess they were wrong. Beauch was huge for their defense and team probably. He fits great our first pairing.

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
Was thinking before this game yesterday how important of a signing Beauchemin was. Loved Hejda too but he's been an even better signing.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Duchene has just 1 goal in the last 5 though. The rest of the team has improved as well. And honestly it's mostly Varly right now. He's hot as hell.

Does anyone else think the Oilers got fairly weak goaltending in this game? Should've been a 2-1 or 3-1 game I think.

True he's cooled a bit production wise but he's still been arguably the biggest part of that lines success in generating their scoring chances, and keeping the puck down low in the zone. That has lead to a lot of momentum for the team, and has contributed a great deal to how the team is playing as a whole.

Their turn around started a bit before the five game win streak, that's mostly what I was referring to, as it coincided with Duchene and Varly's hot play.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
But the media said he was a terrible signing. Too many years, too much money, didn't try hard enough to get a real defenseman.

I never really understood that, I figured it was a fine signing, given when his birthday is (in June). He had just turned 35, so our 3-year deal with him covers his age 35, 36, 37 years. Not too terrible, and given that he broke into the league at a later age, he has "less miles" (games played) on his body than a player of his usual ilk.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Was thinking before this game yesterday how important of a signing Beauchemin was. Loved Hejda too but he's been an even better signing.

I have a feeling he's going to fade a bit if Roy plays him this much. He's played 26 minutes on average in December and that's with Roy being able to rest him a a bit against Chicago/Edmonton (five minutes in the third periods those games).

It's a big workload.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I do find it a bit funny that the Oilers are complaining about the officiating when TSN has a video of one of their defenders literally hanging off of Duchene's back for 13 seconds.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Missed the 2nd and 3rd periods due to watching Star Wars, but finally got around to finish it today in the morning. Like I said before, MacKinnon hasn't been the same since blocking the shot against the Wild, I believe. But I appreciated his physicality, Avs were easily the most physical of the two teams, even a couple of borderline dirty shots like Comeau and Holden. Should have been penalties, but this Avs team needs a little bit of a dirty aspect to them, they were too easy to play against in the first quarter of the season.

Really solid game by Iginla, gotta give him some credit. Not because he scored, but he actually competed.

Avs sort of relaxed in the 3rd period, Holden in particular was absolutely dreadful. Soderberg's line wasn't that good either. A lot of miscommunication on the 9 line, but Landeskog has looked great on the last two recent games. Don't think Roy should be too happy about the 3rd, but a win is a win.

Varlamov made some outstanding saves, but surprised he got 40 shots on him. People will say we lost the corsi, but Oilers threw like 15 float shots from the blue line, Nurse contributed to like 8 of them. :laugh:

Most Ducks fans I saw were upset they couldn't keep him. It was made worse by replacing him with Bieksa.

The Ducks fans were sad he left, but majority of them were okay he left due to us giving him that extra year.

He clearly has lost a step, but damn he has been immense. You can lose your skating, but you can't lose your hockey intelligence.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Missed the 2nd and 3rd periods due to watching Star Wars, but finally got around to finish it today in the morning. Like I said before, MacKinnon hasn't been the same since blocking the shot against the Wild, I believe.

This is what I've been thinking too. He simply has to have some type of foot/leg injury right now because the speed he once had to blow past defenders is nowhere to be found and he just looks like a regular skater out there

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I agree with SEPH, Iginla actually competed like a boss last night. Was so happy with him. So many great chances and finally buries one. Hopefully that serves as a wake up call. Can't just shoot and score, have to get to those spots like he did last night.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Missed the 2nd and 3rd periods due to watching Star Wars, but finally got around to finish it today in the morning. Like I said before, MacKinnon hasn't been the same since blocking the shot against the Wild, I believe. But I appreciated his physicality, Avs were easily the most physical of the two teams, even a couple of borderline dirty shots like Comeau and Holden. Should have been penalties, but this Avs team needs a little bit of a dirty aspect to them, they were too easy to play against in the first quarter of the season.

Really solid game by Iginla, gotta give him some credit. Not because he scored, but he actually competed.

Avs sort of relaxed in the 3rd period, Holden in particular was absolutely dreadful. Soderberg's line wasn't that good either. A lot of miscommunication on the 9 line, but Landeskog has looked great on the last two recent games. Don't think Roy should be too happy about the 3rd, but a win is a win.

Varlamov made some outstanding saves, but surprised he got 40 shots on him. People will say we lost the corsi, but Oilers threw like 15 float shots from the blue line, Nurse contributed to like 8 of them. :laugh:

The Ducks fans were sad he left, but majority of them were okay he left due to us giving him that extra year.

He clearly has lost a step, but damn he has been immense. You can lose your skating, but you can't lose your hockey intelligence.

Well hopefully this X-mas break gives some of these guys like MacK the chance to heal minor injuries.

I'll be curious to see how Landeskog and MacK look after the break.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Not sure if this has been posted yet, haven't been around lately. Patty interview on sportsnet.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ize-is-about-protection/?row=3&row_id=1617477

Gotta disagree with Roy here. We don't see 3-4 posts per game on average, it's much lower than that. Also I don't see how you could change the posts to make all those shot got in, a good chunk of post shots just graze the outside of the post. Changing the post could marginally improve scoring, maybe a quarter of a goal per game more.

Also on equipment, he's showing his goalie union card. Not all goalie equipmemt is for protection. For example they could have narrower pads w/o increasing risk of injury.

Just my 2 cents.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Gotta disagree with Roy here. We don't see 3-4 posts per game on average, it's much lower than that. Also I don't see how you could change the posts to make all those shot got in, a good chunk of post shots just graze the outside of the post. Changing the post could marginally improve scoring, maybe a quarter of a goal per game more.

Also on equipment, he's showing his goalie union card. Not all goalie equipmemt is for protection. For example they could have narrower pads w/o increasing risk of injury.

Just my 2 cents.

Your 2 cents is funny and about as helpful as two pennies. Goalie union card :shakehead
I'll tend to believe Roy and myself as we've both seen the equipment and worn it. Only goalie equipment reduction that should be done is a bit on the pants and small parts of certain chest protectors. Other wise the goalie equipment is just fine.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Your 2 cents is funny and about as helpful as two pennies. Goalie union card :shakehead
I'll tend to believe Roy and myself as we've both seen the equipment and worn it. Only goalie equipment reduction that should be done is a bit on the pants and small parts of certain chest protectors. Other wise the goalie equipment is just fine.

I didn't mean to offend you but I feel that you are pretty sensitive on the issue. They could change many parts of the goalie equipement without affecting safety quite easily. For example, does the catching glove have to be that big for protection?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Handicapping the goalies is IMO the wrong way to go to increase scoring. I'm not a big fan of the idea of enlarging the nets either. Angling the posts to send more pucks in is an interesting solution, but as somebody said earlier that's unlikely to give the big jump in goals that the NHL clearly wants.

If you ask me, scoring is fine right now. One of the best things about hockey is that goals are exciting and they always matter. I think the league has the idea that more goals will up the excitement proportionally, but it would also make them less impactful when they do happen. If every game was 7-5 goals wouldn't matter that much anymore.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't need to see 7-5 games either and I appreciate the defensive side of the game. I like that games can have different personalities, I don't mind a 2-1 or 1-0 game, it just depends how it is played. So I don't think there needs to be modifications to how the equipment is used and such. If they just called interference and holding like they should would help but I know nobody wants a penalty fest either. They could stand to change some of the offsides rules, I'm not saying eliminate it entirely but a lot of good scoring chances die from offsides. I also don't think more goals is the problem per se, its more the league wants to see more real scoring chances it what makes the game exciting.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Yeah, but we are actually hockey fans so they don't care what appeals or doesn't appeal to us. None of us will stop watching if they change a bunch of rules, equipment, and start having those 7-5 games. We love this stuff too much. It's the casual can flipping channels they are targeting. I can't speak for that fan, but I suppose they'd be more easily reeled in if there were goals and lots of scoring. That's the audience they are trying to gauge what will or wouldn't work, not us.

My favourite games are 0-0 nailbiters where any mistake or loss of concentration can cost you the game. Then again, I'm just a biased goalie who doesn't really care for goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad