GDT: Game 34: Colorado Avalanche vs. Arizona Coyotes - December 23, 2023 7pm MST

What is the average airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

• Total voters

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I also own some expensive suits. I just need to lose about 119 lbs

C28960BA-DA0D-4034-B2AF-C4C0EF11913A.gif

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
When Girard and Lehky come back, how do we get Lindholm to make the cap work? He would be so good on this team with Lehky and whoever on 2nd line

Pretty easily with the Tatar trade tbh...

Girard isn't actually on LTIR, so him coming back changes nothing in that regard. We have $5.6M in LTIR space today, so Lehky coming back would bump that number down to $1.1M. Send Jones + Malinski back down to the AHL and you get another $1.625M in space. Then we're up to $2.725M. Send Kiviranta down when you trade for Lindholm and you've got $3.5M in space exactly which is plenty to get Lindholm, just need 25% retention from the Flames or a 3rd party which this time of year wouldn't be hard to do.

EDIT: In fact thinking about it more, I wouldn't be surprised at all if that 5th round pick we got from Seattle ends up being the asset we use to get retention on Lindholm or whoever we trade for when they make that trade.

Reactions: the_fan

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Got bored during the last period and started looking up stats. Discovered I'm older than Ryan Johansen. I genuinely thought he was pushing 40.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Pretty easily with the Tatar trade tbh...

Girard isn't actually on LTIR, so him coming back changes nothing in that regard. We have $5.6M in LTIR space today, so Lehky coming back would bump that number down to $1.1M. Send Jones + Malinski back down to the AHL and you get another $1.625M in space. Then we're up to $2.725M. Send Kiviranta down when you trade for Lindholm and you've got $3.5M in space exactly which is plenty to get Lindholm, just need 25% retention from the Flames or a 3rd party which this time of year wouldn't be hard to do.

EDIT: In fact thinking about it more, I wouldn't be surprised at all if that 5th round pick we got from Seattle ends up being the asset we use to get retention on Lindholm or whoever we trade for when they make that trade.

Needless to say, if they manage to send Johansen the other way, it’s mostly moot.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Happy Christmas everyone. Try to remember that the Avs are going to be unstoppable now and all the players are going to fit nicely in their places, and you'll love all of them, even Rantanen and RyJo. You'll be crying when you watch RyJo lifts the cup, and you'll be so proud of all these guys for what they go through in the playoffs to earn us another one so soon. You'll wish Wood was signed for 16 years, and be going on and on about how underpaid Colton is. You'll be arguing with someone about Georgie not winning the Vezina, and demanding that Prosvetov be given a long-term contract. The only thing that will make you sad is that you know someone on this amazing team will need to leave so they can fit under the cap, but nobody is overpaid and you want everyone to stay. It will be hard to deal with that, but everyone else about the team will overwhelm you and you'll be happy.

Yes I am drunk.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Happy Christmas everyone. Try to remember that the Avs are going to be unstoppable now and all the players are going to fit nicely in their places, and you'll love all of them, even Rantanen and RyJo. You'll be crying when you watch RyJo lifts the cup, and you'll be so proud of all these guys for what they go through in the playoffs to earn us another one so soon. You'll wish Wood was signed for 16 years, and be going on and on about how underpaid Colton is. You'll be arguing with someone about Georgie not winning the Vezina, and demanding that Prosvetov be given a long-term contract. The only thing that will make you sad is that you know someone on this amazing team will need to leave so they can fit under the cap, but nobody is overpaid and you want everyone to stay. It will be hard to deal with that, but everyone else about the team will overwhelm you and you'll be happy.

Yes I am drunk.
And it sounds like you've gone drinking with @Sea Eagles , no less.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012

Yes I am drunk.

Post of the year mate ! Merry Christmas to you and your family too ! I could not have said this better myself ! You've got me psyched to the extreme ! GO AVVVVSSSS !!

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Out of curiosity does Hayton just suck or are injuries derailing him? Before anyone asks, no, I don’t want the Avs to trade for him.
He's been on the IR since mid-November, but I haven't done a lot more than stat watch this season. Not sure what's ailing him, but Barrett is shooting at 5.9% this season down from a career average of 10.3%. At even strength he's got a 55.71% xGF% this season though, so I'd say he's still playing the right way, but the jury is still kind of out on what he ultimately is. I would take him in a heartbeat and think he could work well as our 2C but unfortunately, there's just no reason for Arizona to trade him.

Last edited:
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I know this was against Arizona, but this was Avalanche hockey. Avs haven’t had this kind of swagger in a long time, and it was while competing hard defensively and focusing on this first, while also pushing the play offensively with the kind of swagger that knows other team’s can’t contain their power/speed combo when they play this way.

Thought this was Byram’s best game of the year as well. Not just his goal (most his goals being highlight goals says something about his talent level), but especially after the goal you could see the weight come off his shoulders, because this young defenseman feeds off confidence in his game just like Nate, and he knows he hasn’t played up to his abilities this year.

He had an assertiveness to his game after the goal thad sped up his reaction time, not just offensively, but defensively. Quick to make reads, quick to contain players defensively and break up plays. Which IMO is a perfect example of how this style benefits his overall game, by just letting him play off instinct. Despite what some think, Bo has a very cerebral high IQ game. I thought the difference was very noticeable before and after he scored.

And he did it by playing on his toes and pushing the pace all game. This is how he needs to play to be at his best. Haven’t seen him play this way in a long time either, and the fact he did it after the losses and comments recently, should tell everyone that him playing this way isn’t a problem for anyone else either.

Also reinforces that Byram needs more time at the point on PP2. He’s got the second most dangerous shot on the team, he has a bit of deception and creativity in his puck movement, and he scored in the exact same spot he’d be in as a lefty playing the point on the PP.

And once again the Dogg feeds off the Yotes. Something about this team brings out every ounce of competitive fire in this apex competitor every single time. Every game he plays against them, he plays like a ram trying to win a contest of head butts out in the open field. Or an alpha male chimp running wild though the forrest making sure everyone knows who the big dog is. He ran over a guy after moving the puck in this game, not just once, but TWICE, and the second one was even more impressive.

After so many years of watching this team, it’s truly an absolute pleasure to watch Nate play this way. :clap: If he can stay healthy this year (knock on wood) he’s winning the Hart.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Makes me wonder...do teams invest in sports phycologists or is this still an area where players choose whether to hire a personal one or not?

I know I've read that Nate has worked with one before.

Considering how "brittle?" our team has looked at times this season, it seems like maybe having a staff sports phycologist might not be a bad investment for a team.

@Foppa2118's comments on Byram's confidence is what got me thinking about this. The team feels like it's been playing with a lack of confidence for much of the sesaon, and what's worse are the times where they play with confidence that is not earned. Confidently making blind pass up the middle in the d-zone, confidently dropping the pass to the other team at the blue line, etc.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Makes me wonder...do teams invest in sports phycologists or is this still an area where players choose whether to hire a personal one or not?

I know I've read that Nate has worked with one before.

Considering how "brittle?" our team has looked at times this season, it seems like maybe having a staff sports phycologist might not be a bad investment for a team.

@Foppa2118's comments on Byram's confidence is what got me thinking about this. The team feels like it's been playing with a lack of confidence for much of the sesaon, and what's worse are the times where they play with confidence that is not earned. Confidently making blind pass up the middle in the d-zone, confidently dropping the pass to the other team at the blue line, etc.

Personally, I make a distinction between when they play with swagger, and when they're overconfident.

For many years, they've had a habit of getting overconfident, and not focusing on the fundamentals of their game, specifically moving their feet at a high pace, hounding the puck, their defensive coverage, and possession game, and then letting their skill come through as a result of executing on those details, not as a precursor to them.

This to me is an artificial or unearned confidence. And it becomes fragile confidence that's broken easily, when doubt creeps into their mind after they make mistakes.

But when they play their best, this Avalanche team has a swagger to their game, that represents a "knowing" confidence. It's got a certain BDE quality to it. They know they're good in games like this. They know because the results are speaking for themselves, and there's no doubt in the back of their mind suggesting otherwise, because they know they're playing the right way too.

That swagger has been missing this year, and for a lot of last year. IMO the biggest reasons are that this a new group that's trying to build a bit of a new culture, and they've desperately missed Landy and EJ as that veteran calming presence that brings the group together, rather than letting it get frustrated and point fingers at each other.

But they're working their way through it and this game is an example of that. I think it's mostly been led by Cale's leadership and demeanor that's similar to Landy's, and Nate leading the way by putting the team on his back recently and getting them to feel good about themselves again.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00