GDT: Game 34: Blues @ Avs | Tuesday, December 23, 6pm MT (NBCSN) | Holiday Cheer

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Wow I just finished watching this game. Where the F has this team been all year? It's not the goals, most were fortunate bounces but you get those with hard work, but the tempo, the passing (!), the attacking. It's like confidence + motivation to beat a rival was the perfect combo.

So happy to see Varly get a shutout and so so happy to see EJ score especially against the Blues and on national TV.

And yeah the Blues, what a bunch of biotches. I get being physical to try and change the tempo but there is a right way to do it and a cheap way to do it. When we lose we don't go around like a bunch of babies.

Which were fortunate bounces? The only one that I can think of was Tanguay's off of his shoulder. The EJ goal was a great shot through a screen; the Redmond goal was a great backdoor passing play; the O'Reilly goal was a fantastic shot; the Iginla goal was a classic fast-paced Avs goal with a fantastic shot. Can't really chalk these up to fortunate bounces other than Tanguay's goal

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Stuart is nasty in the corners. I can't remember the last Avs defenseman who was nasty like him in the corners and in front of the net. I love it. He has his flaws, but he's been fine. He didn't look terrible on the PP, but it's not something I want to continue. He looks good with Redmond too.

As much as I didn't like the Avs letting up in the third, it was good for Varly to get some work in. He looked solid all night.

Stuart absolutely punished Tarasenko tonight. It wasn't the bone-crushing open ice variety, but every time he got a chance he took a solid run at him and it definitely looked like it played a factor tonight. I recall on two separate occasions where Stuart flat out saw blood and went at him as hard as he could. Those cross checks in the 3rd period in the corner when Tarasenko was on the ground looked vicious. Not suspension vicious, but man was he hurting him

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Lastly, I can't be the only one who wants Hejda back for next season. I think that if we can snag a defenseman via UFA, keep Hejda around along with Stuart and make Guenin/Holden the healthy scratches. That or bury them in the minors and sign two new defenseman to be 7th/8th, or just one and make Noreau one of the others. He goes so under-appreciated on this board yet he is great at what he does. I still think he has some gas left in the tank, especially if he's used in a lesser role on the 2nd pairing alongside Barrie. Allows Bigras another year to develop as well as Siemens.

Obviously, if we have the ability to snag two defenders, or if the Avs are 100% confident Bigras can come in and be an upgrade on Hejda, then he doesn't return since Stuart is IMO better for the 3rd pair than Hejda is because of his physicality. But at the moment, I wouldn't mind keeping him around. Great on the PK, and he does play the body a lot too. Not to the extent of Stuart or with the viciousness, but he's solid

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Which were fortunate bounces? The only one that I can think of was Tanguay's off of his shoulder. The EJ goal was a great shot through a screen; the Redmond goal was a great backdoor passing play; the O'Reilly goal was a fantastic shot; the Iginla goal was a classic fast-paced Avs goal with a fantastic shot. Can't really chalk these up to fortunate bounces other than Tanguay's goal

I didn't quite mean it like THAT. I know some people are always discounting wins, that's not what I'm trying to do. They played fantastic, easily their best of the year. Just funny how there were some good bounces that happened. Like Redmond whiffing on the shot but it still going in and Tanguay's. The other three were good shots but had it been a week ago probably wouldn't have gone in for whatever reason.

Forgot to mention that it was amusing a Stastny got over 19 minutes tonight when he hasn't seen that kind of time in at least a month. And that was at the expense of Tarasenko getting 15 minutes. Though they tried to goon it up in the second they pretty much wanted to just get it over with in the third.

member 116861

I didn't quite mean it like THAT. I know some people are always discounting wins, that's not what I'm trying to do. They played fantastic, easily their best of the year. Just funny how there were some good bounces that happened. Like Redmond whiffing on the shot but it still going in and Tanguay's. The other three were good shots but had it been a week ago probably wouldn't have gone in for whatever reason.

Forgot to mention that it was amusing a Stastny got over 19 minutes tonight when he hasn't seen that kind of time in at least a month. And that was at the expense of Tarasenko getting 15 minutes. Though they tried to goon it up in the second they pretty much wanted to just get it over with in the third.

He was the only Blue that I noticed today. Also it is really surprising that they didn't goon it up too much. Their team is full of pieces of **** so to see it calm down in the 3rd was nice.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He was the only Blue that I noticed today. Also it is really surprising that they didn't goon it up too much. Their team is full of pieces of **** so to see it calm down in the 3rd was nice.

I think the reason they didn't goon it up is because they know they play us again next week. Had the next game been a month or two away, I think things definitely would have been different in the third and we would have seen Ott and Reaves at their dirtiest. Not to mention Backes, who's the most fake tough-guy in the entire league. It'd be nice to see him fight somebody his own size for once rather than constantly picking on MacKinnon and Duchene. If Bordy ever challenged him, he'd probably just slash him and cower away. Such captain material. He's one of the biggest reasons, along with Hitchcock and their goaltending, why the Blues will never win a cup with this current group

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think the reason they didn't goon it up is because they know they play us again next week. Had the next game been a month or two away, I think things definitely would have been different in the third and we would have seen Ott and Reaves at their dirtiest. Not to mention Backes, who's the most fake tough-guy in the entire league. It'd be nice to see him fight somebody his own size for once rather than constantly picking on MacKinnon and Duchene. If Bordy ever challenged him, he'd probably just slash him and cower away. Such captain material. He's one of the biggest reasons, along with Hitchcock and their goaltending, why the Blues will never win a cup with this current group

I think they tried but after Backes and Ott got penalties, so they realized it wasn't really going to work. They kept trying little cheap shots, but nothing to the extent that we've seen from their fake tough guy routine in the past.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Not to rag on the Blues, but when your captain can't keep his composure when the team is down by a little bit and is facing some adversity, how is your team supposed to react? They have a really strong, deep team (minus goaltending), but I'm not sure Backes is the right guy to lead them.

It would be both awesome and terrifying to see EJ score 20 goals. I can't imagine what his UFA contract would look like. It's an amazing feat that Sacco neutered this guy so much that he went that whole lockout year without a goal.

ROR is starting to look like the ROR of old. I think Landy is a PPG in his last 16 games. Just need MacKinnon and Duchene to pick it up.

These lines would look so much better with McGinn on Duchene's other wing. This is when he'd be real helpful. Talbot just doesn't fit there.

That Iginla goal was amazing. Mitchell is a lot more useful than I think anyone could have realized about a year ago, myself included.

Stuart is nasty in the corners. I can't remember the last Avs defenseman who was nasty like him in the corners and in front of the net. I love it. He has his flaws, but he's been fine. He didn't look terrible on the PP, but it's not something I want to continue. He looks good with Redmond too.

As much as I didn't like the Avs letting up in the third, it was good for Varly to get some work in. He looked solid all night.

Playoffs man. Wild was owning our #3/#4 lines. At that point It became apparent how much we really need Malkin. He's very good player in his role and he seems to fit well with Iggy and Tanger.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
where the hell has this team been all season? i don't think this was just blues being crap.

i think this will be real good rivalry for the next few years at least. i'd also add wild to the list, really don't like losing to them.

Our division is crazy. I hate/love Chicago(They play nice hockey, fast, offensive etc.. Good brand of hockey, but they are the best, so I hate them). Wild, their fans, their players(Cooke), yugh yugh! I truly hate Wild. Blues, Stastny, EJ-trade etc. Their players being huge cheapshot artists. I truly hate Blues. Winnipeg, that big **** is really annoying(you know who). That alone is enough for me to hate Winnipeg.

Dallas, Meh, I don't see it. I don't see Dallas as a very good team. I don't see any rivalry there, at least not yet.

Nashville, naah, don't care. Good team to cheer in playoffs though. I wish all the best for their fans.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
we play hawks and blues again next but then the next 10 are

philly
oilers
jackets
hawks
sens
stars
caps
canes
panthers
tampa

there's a chance to accumulate points.

Which one do you see as a weak team? Oilers, Philly, Jackets, Sens, Stars, Canes and Panthers? You are right though. We should have very nice record vs these teams. No excuse.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

I agree. Avs pretty much earned all their goals, other than Tanguay's great finish. :laugh:

ROR's goal was bit weak though, bad goaltending.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Lastly, I can't be the only one who wants Hejda back for next season. I think that if we can snag a defenseman via UFA, keep Hejda around along with Stuart and make Guenin/Holden the healthy scratches. That or bury them in the minors and sign two new defenseman to be 7th/8th, or just one and make Noreau one of the others. He goes so under-appreciated on this board yet he is great at what he does. I still think he has some gas left in the tank, especially if he's used in a lesser role on the 2nd pairing alongside Barrie. Allows Bigras another year to develop as well as Siemens.

Obviously, if we have the ability to snag two defenders, or if the Avs are 100% confident Bigras can come in and be an upgrade on Hejda, then he doesn't return since Stuart is IMO better for the 3rd pair than Hejda is because of his physicality. But at the moment, I wouldn't mind keeping him around. Great on the PK, and he does play the body a lot too. Not to the extent of Stuart or with the viciousness, but he's solid

I agree. We should re-sign Hejda. I really think he has been amazing last 2 years. Really really solid defenseman and we need guys like him. Even If he can't play top-4 next season, he would be great bottom pairing D and he could probably stunt in top-4 If needed. He can hold his ground in top-4 role. Re-sign.

Throw Guenin out, throw Holden out, bring in #2 defenseman(who replaces Hejda in top-pairing role) and then put Hejda into second or third pairing. I think that would make our defense pretty solid all around.

x-EJ
Barrie-Stuart/Hejda
Stuart/Hejda-Redmond
Bigras/x

I think that would be solid defense and we would have puck-moving ability in every pairing, that's huge. I think there's outside chance Bigras or Siemens makes it as well.

Hejda could be one year stop-gap for Bigras/Siemens. I would be fine with that.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
What a game, it was like last season. Let's hope this game is a sign of things to come and not a flash in the pan.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Agree with those who say MacK looks better on the wing and may be more suited to play there for a while. Some of us felt that way after last year as well.

It is unfortunate that the Avs FO was so adamant he would be a C this season, as I think it had a lot to do with his slow start and limited the effectiveness of the top 6.

I don't have much issue with Backes last night, not quite the same level as with MacK last year. Nothing really cheap. He needs to do what he does to try and get the team off its game and not just for last night, but for the next game in StL. Get them looking over their shoulder a bit instead of focusing on the play at hand.

Avs are not innocent either from throwing out McLeod or Bords a bit extra when games turn sour. Avs just don't have a player like Backes (or Chara, Getzlaf, Perry, Lucic etc) that play in a top role that can be used like that. Maybe Iginla can do that or Landy but guys like that are nice to have IMO.

Really pleased with the Avs team that played last night. {retty much the first 60 minute game of the year that I can remember.

Nice way to enter the Christmas break!

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Which one do you see as a weak team? Oilers, Philly, Jackets, Sens, Stars, Canes and Panthers? You are right though. We should have very nice record vs these teams. No excuse.

well i think only canes and oilers count as weak teams. those others aren't strong and i don't think they make the playoffs (except jackets have chance if they get heatlhy) but they can still play good hockey. it's the parity these days, almost no game is easy.

still it's only 3 teams of 10 that are currently in PO-spot and one of them is hanging on to the last wild card spot in east (caps). looking at quickly our schedule we only play once a 10 game stretch where we have only 3 PO-teams (currently) in 10 game stretch. so they definitely need to take advantage of this, as you said, no excuses.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Yeah, I agree, some luck was involved. I mean, EJ's shot made it past FOUR Blues players trying to block it. That ain't just pure skill.

That said, I think it's encouraging because as good as the luck was for the Avs last year, it has been equally bad this year, especially for players like Landeskog. When you play well, you create more lucky bounces, more chances for the puck to do something crazy and go in. That's exactly what they did last night. Good to see, and yes, wish they'd put together this kind of effort every game.

Getting some healthy bodies back is huge as well. Some players were getting severely overplayed with the team so shorthanded, and it showed, especially in some of these back-to-back contests. Getting some of that depth back is not only keeping the stars fresh, it's giving the team more threats for the opposition to worry about and freeing up some of them to do more offensively.

m0ngr31

Does anyone have a clip of that save Varly made with the tip of his stick on Stastny? Or know what time it was at? Also did that penalty against Hejda on Backes look like a dive to anyone else? Looks like he went down pretty easy. I'd like another look at it tbh.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Does anyone have a clip of that save Varly made with the tip of his stick on Stastny? Or know what time it was at? Also did that penalty against Hejda on Backes look like a dive to anyone else? Looks like he went down pretty easy. I'd like another look at it tbh.

[NHL]2014020513-X-h[/NHL]

3:02.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Saw this on the Blues board after EJ's goal :laugh:

I swear he is going to score on us every game until the end of his career.

So many positives from that game. Please please please let it be a turning point. It just shows this team is control of their fate this year. We can beat the best teams in the league if we're on our game. Wasn't a big fan of the 9-29 combination but wow they are starting to click and the opposing defenders are giving them a lot of space in fear of their speed.

Also the 40-7-12 line is easily our best line right now. Roy's a wizard with the line combo's. In Roy we trust, too many armchair GM's judging Roy's decisions.

IMO, that was the most enjoyable game to watch since last year's playoffs.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad