Pre-Game Talk: Game 34 7:07 PM - THE BEAR goes swimming in the Everglades - NESN, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
GDT will be posted AFTER 4 PM

upload_2019-12-14_4-42-46.png

upload_2019-12-14_4-43-25.png

The NHL season may not yet be halfway over, but there will be two fairly desperate teams inside the BB&T Center in Sunrise, Fla., on Saturday night.

The Boston Bruins, still comfortably atop the Atlantic Division, have lost four straight games in regulation and five consecutive contests overall. You can bet that the Bruins want to end this losing streak right now.

Their opponent on Saturday night, the Florida Panthers, are not currently in a playoff position, and some of that has to do with their disappointing 3-3-0 homestand that still has three games remaining.
It's the longest homestand in franchise history, but the Panthers have failed to take advantage.
Even though the Panthers started this week ranked fourth in the NHL in goals scored per game, they have been shut down twice in a row. They were beaten 2-1 by the Tampa Bay Lightning on Tuesday and 3-1 by the New York Islanders on Thursday.

"It's the NHL -- it's not easy to win," said Panthers goalie Sergei Bobrovsky, who has allowed just six goals in his past four games. "But we have a great group of guys, very talented and skilled. We believe in each other. We will work hard and move on."

That's exactly what the Bruins want to do since this is their longest losing streak since going 0-5-0 in March of 2016.

"For the most part, we're playing the right way," Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask said. "But you don't want to let (the losses) snowball.

"If you start getting down on yourself and doubting yourself, then you will start to lose more games."

The Panthers beat the Bruins 5-4 in a shootout on Nov. 12. That was their only meeting so far this season, and it was a great night for the Panthers, who rallied from a 4-0 deficit in the third period. Panthers defenseman Keith Yandle had the tying goal and two assists, and winger Mike Hoffman, who scored in regulation, got the winner in the shootout.

Fast forward to Saturday, and the trends show struggles for both teams. The Bruins are just 8-6-1 on the road (as opposed to 12-1-5 at home).

The Panthers, who are 9-6-2 at home, are led in points by winger Jonathan Huberdeau (37), and center Aleksander Barkov (36). Winger Brett Connolly, a steal of a free agent signing in July, tops the team with 14 goals, and Hoffman (12 goals, 11 assists) has a four-game point streak.

Bobrovsky, who allowed four goals to the Bruins in that game last month before getting pulled, is 11-8-4 with a 3.14 goals-against average and an .899 save percentage.

David Pastrnak leads Boston (and the NHL) with 26 goals, and Brad Marchand tops the Bruins in assists (30) and points (48).

Rask is 13-4-3 with a 2.24 GAA and a .926 save percentage. His backup, Jaroslav Halak, also has solid numbers (7-3-3, 2.28 GAA, .927 save percentage).

Both teams are relatively healthy. The most significant player on the injured list is probably Bruins fourth-line winger Brett Ritchie, who has two goals and two assists in 19 games. He is out due to an illness.

:bruins:panthers

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I have to go Christmas shopping and decorate . I got a tree last night. I have it in the stand so it can get water but that is it. The cats are checking it out.

I hope the B's can pull off a win tonight . It is more fun when they win.

GO B's !

aguineapig

Goin' down to the Swamp
Gonna watch a Hound Dog catch a coon
When the Hound Dogs start singin'
I ain't got those big ol' city blues

Ronnie Van Zant

Reactions: BMC and Fenway

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Is this a good time for a POINTS ARE AT A PREMIUM post?

Just get back to winning fellas. It's a marathon season, but that doesn't meaning losing streaks are ok

Tbrady12

Oct 19, 2018
Last 5 games and losses Bruins have scored 10 goals total and below you see where the scoring came from. This speaks a lot to the lack of success on the middle two lines against bigger and stronger teams. Let the 4th line have some offensive zone minutes instead of only penalty kill and D zone face-offs against the Barkov line tonight. Kuraly and Wagner are both proven streaky scorers, give them a chance to getting to the net.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta 3 goals
Debrusk 1 PP goal
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner 4 goals
Krug and Moore 1 each

Reactions: Strafer

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
can you imagine MLB calling back almost 40 home runs in 2 months because the hitter's toe stepped out of the batter's box during his swing? this offsides review is almost on that level of absurdity

Reactions: BMC and Dr Hook

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
This is a very important game. After losing to 2 of the top teams in the league (yes TB will be there by the end) in close games, they need to show they have turned the corner from their poor play and beat a decent team that is also struggling. An emphatic win here should push them back into a good winning streak or like 5-1-1 type of thing.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I hope I never hear that damn Kingston Trio song again. I put on Led Zeppelin 2 and still can't get it out my head. Argh!!!!

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
The rules might suck but they are still the rules, fact is the Bruins go offside a lot. I often notice it , it goes unchecked because it doesn't result in a goal but they have been offside a lot more than what is brought to attention. Get it together boys, watch those offsides , it gains you nothing and is costing dear.

P.S. Sucks to see Connolly 1st in goals for the Panthers when the 2RW spot has been a void. Never quite understood why he was just let go the way he was, anybody?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The rules might suck but they are still the rules, fact is the Bruins go offside a lot. I often notice it , it goes unchecked because it doesn't result in a goal but they have been offside a lot more than what is brought to attention. Get it together boys, watch those offsides , it gains you nothing and is costing dear.

P.S. Sucks to see Connolly 1st in goals for the Panthers when the 2RW spot has been a void. Never quite understood why he was just let go the way he was, anybody?

if you watch other games, literally every team technically goes offside a ton, truth is, overwhelmingly it makes no difference on a play.

Much like I`ll never be convinced a shoot out is a great way to settle a team game, you won`t be able to convince me that a player whose skate is 1cm ahead of the puck had such a drastic impact on a play that led to a goal

Of the far too many goals the B`s have had called back on them, how many does anyone here truly believe those goals were scored directly because the B`s player had that extra centimeter or inch coming over the blue line? The rule is the NHL taking things too far because of horrific reffing a few years back and it`s a horrible rule now being used as a tactic by coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad