Post-Game Talk: GAME 32 - Bruins are in a Yule Fog - Wild 3 BRUINS 2

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Last year when Monty came along, he decided to stay with the defensive system that Claude and Butch maintained, and it worked. This year, can anyone tell meif this is Monty's system? Because if it is, it's abysmal. Fire-able offense.
The greatest defensive center in NHL history retired on him and got replaced by some washed up free agents and rookies. The system was a house of cards held up by prodigious talent.

Also, McAvoy and Lindholm are both clearly injured. The house is collapsing.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Rough slump, especially the last 2 games where we looked completely cooked. Jack Edwards chose the right time to take a vacation.

I think big picture here, this is the opposite of our hot streak to start the year. We allowed 7 goals in 8 games or something like that? 8-0-1 start right? It was pretty hype but everyone knew it wasn't sustainable and that we would regress to the mean in some way eventually especially with our talent lacking compared to past years.

I think this is the same type of thing. Our team is not as bad as they portrayed much of this December. They need to really get their defensive game and commitment together and I think they will. It won't be start of the season good, but it should be a lot better than we've seen. It's our key to success this season because we're gonna have to scrap for offense and grind out some greasy goals from guys not named Marchand or Pastrnak.

I do think a constant struggle we'll have all season long is depth when injuries start to hit hard. Ian Mitchell and Parker Wotherspoon are not NHL quality defensemen and them being backup plans to any of our guys being injured is not ideal. They have some good moments here and there, but it's 1 step forward, 3 steps back.

The one constant is goaltending. These 2 are beauts even in the slumps.

Merry Christmas everyone! Enjoy the holiday.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Who are the guys who have stood up and tried to get the team going through the last 4 weeks or so when they've been battling? Pasta, occasionally Geekie. Not much else.

Who's offered little to nothing? DeBrusk, Lindholm, Coyle, Gryz before he got injured.

The likes of Heinen, sometimes Frederic, McAvoy and Carlo (not today) at least have been more or less ok. Zacha gets a pass for being injured for a while.

Too many guys just not getting it done or playing outright poorly at the moment. Marchand is having a go but a good chunk of the old magic is gone and I think he wears the 'C' quite heavily. He's trying but he's always struck me as an excellent lieutenant/2IC rather than being good captain/outright leader material. I know that sort when I see it because that's me.

One of the things about being a transition year, whether the organization wants to accept it as one or not, is we see who really has the desire and ability to compete through thick and thin, who turns into a passenger, who to keep and who to cut loose. If a DeBrusk is trending towards the door, maybe a Geekie is someone you want to keep around for longer.

For now, the break is much needed. How Monty responds to this and what he does once they get back in a couple of days is going to be very interesting.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
The greatest defensive center in NHL history retired on him and got replaced by some washed up free agents and rookies. The system was a house of cards held up by prodigious talent.

Also, McAvoy and Lindholm are both clearly injured. The house is collapsing.
Can the Bruins players ever underperform or have rough stretches without it having to be injury?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Wild were ripe for the taking. First period they couldn't get out of their own way. Geekie stopped on a breakway, two 2 on 1's result in no shots attempted.

Second period B's completely collapse, worse than the night before.

4th line basically play every shift in their own end. Sometimes for what seems to be forever.

And again, Lindholm & McAvoy were bad. Along with Carlo this time.

The usual nothing from Coyle & Debrusk.

Geekie 1 for 8 on faceoffs, missed two breakaways and screwed up a 2 on 1. But he got a goal.

Pasta got his goal. Marchand got his cheap assist. Neither did much of anything else.

Ullmark fell short of stupendous, so not good enough.

NeelyOrr

Dec 23, 2018
Central NY
yes we have games in hand, but the 4th place TBL are 5 points back. Which means 6 points back is NOT a playoff position.

We are going to know by the end of the Jan 6th game vs the TBL
The big difference between the BRUINS and TBL is Tampa gets offense from more than one player.

Reactions: Gordoff

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Last year when Monty came along, he decided to stay with the defensive system that Claude and Butch maintained, and it worked. This year, can anyone tell meif this is Monty's system? Because if it is, it's abysmal. Fire-able offense.
That’s a really good question.

Right now to me they are like an aging fighter with an iron jaw that just absorbs endless punches. Every once in a while he throws out a weak arm punch counter but thats about it.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Sincere question.

Putting age and contract aside, which Bruins forwards would you keep over Maroon right now?

(If you say anyone other than Pasta, Marchand, Coyle and maybe Zacha, you’re wrong).

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Okay so good I take it that it good night to miss a game.
Jake did a super job at rf and lf.

He floated at a level I’m not sure I’ve seen before. Very fluid though, hence no delineation between right and left floater. It confused the shit out of Minnesota but because he had zero impact on the game that didn’t really matter. Ultimately they just ignored him.

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
Pasta, as great a player as he is does not seem to be a leader. He seems more concerned about wearing a ridiculous suit than he does the team.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I know I'm in the minority here but I would still trade Ullmark for a top 6 forward type. I said this in the offseason and I still stick by it. Swayman can easily play 50-55 games and the Bruins believe in Bussi. They badly need an infusion of talent upfront. The D on paper should be fine, unfortunately a lot of guys are underperformed or injured.

NeelyOrr

Dec 23, 2018
Central NY
I know I'm in the minority here but I would still trade Ullmark for a top 6 forward type. I said this in the offseason and I still stick by it. Swayman can easily play 50-55 games and the Bruins believe in Bussi. They badly need an infusion of talent upfront. The D on paper should be fine, unfortunately a lot of guys are underperformed or injured.
If the BRUINS can't get a top 3 forward, then no trade.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad