GDT: Game 31: Red Wings vs ducks 7:00 pm et 12/18/23 (ESPN+, BSD+)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Lol

You know what I mean.. if Seider wants 8x8 then earn it and treat him as such
Yeah, you meant play the best players, not the highest paid. I responded because you actually said the opposite, lol. The highest paid players on this team are definitely not the best players, and Lalonde has been playing them waaaay too much.

You jinxed us.
Indeed I did. My bad.

But it's almost like Stevie knew his goalies were gonna get injured, he carried 3 and lost 2, lol. It'll be interesting to see what Stevie does now, Hutch has a GR contract, Cossa and Lethemon have NHL contracts.

They already slid Cossa's ELC twice, so bringing him up doesn't effect his contract. I assume Reimer's starting unless I just injury jinxed him too, lol.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Can you give him the big minutes you want without playing him on the #1 PP unit? I think I could take or leave him on the top PP unit. Apart from that I think you need to play him as much as possible even if he isn't playing his absolute best (which has clearly been the case through this stretch. He just looks tired for lack of a better word). He is the best player on this team and his bad play is considerably better than the average play of his colleagues. I also think the loss of the centers hurt the defensemen more than the forwards.
I don't know why they think a guy who is +.5 PPG for his early career and is having the best shooting season of his career so far can't be on the #1 PP unit... but I'll disagree with that too.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don't know why they think a guy who is +.5 PPG for his early career and is having the best shooting season of his career so far can't be on the #1 PP unit... but I'll disagree with that too.
So you think he is a better PP1 option than Ghost?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How many of those are on Ghost exactly
You bring up a good point with the power play, and maybe Ghost is a better option for PP1.

But dude… look at exclusively EV TOI. Guys like Dahlin and Heiskanen get 21 minutes a night at even strength. Seider gets 16:01. Seider is 131st among defenseman in EV TOI per game.

It’s a f***ing joke and the Detroit media needs to ask our head coach why.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
You bring up a good point with the power play, and maybe Ghost is a better option for PP1.

But dude… look at exclusively EV TOI. Guys like Dahlin and Heiskanen get 21 minutes a night at even strength. Seider gets 16:01. Seider is 131st among defenseman in EV TOI per game.

I am not disagreeing with your general premise that we don't pay him enough. I am just trying to find the limits of the argument. He absolutely needs to be over 20 minutes a night (probably more like 22) even when he isn't at his best.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021

Why do people want more icetime for Seider? Game after game he is at the bottom. Him and Walman are by far the worst pairing defensively.

We have discussed these reports on this board before. I used to post them myself, so no shade here. One we do not know how they quantify their data, and two, they often do not back up the eye test. Seider for example, may have been hemmed into the defensive zone because of matchups, or faceoffs, or any number of game related occurrences, that this data set does not account for. They highly prioritize offensive zone time in my opinion, and negatively score defensive zone time, without proper reasoning.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
The wings put themselves in a position where they need to win the next 3 games just to catch up. They're sinking like a stone in the standings.
Well we can sell Ghost and Sprong I guess. For sure a roller coaster of a season.

He has been shooting more on the PP as well. Early on he was not a threat to do so as much. Ghost has superior offensive abilities, but with Kane, Dcat, and Larks, I think it would make sense to put a better defensive presence at the point. It's that, or we are highlighting Ghost to trade him, or bad coaching.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021

They don't ask the questions the fans want, or the pertinent ones. Canadian media is over the top I think, but at least they ask tough questions that deserve answers.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Well we can sell Ghost and Sprong I guess. For sure a roller coaster of a season.

He has been shooting more on the PP as well. Early on he was not a threat to do so as much. Ghost has superior offensive abilities, but with Kane, Dcat, and Larks, I think it would make sense to put a better defensive presence at the point. It's that, or we are highlighting Ghost to trade him, or bad coaching.

Or...Detroit can make a go of it and actually try to make the playoffs? 30 games too early to think about pulling the plug.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Reimer is going to get lit the fCK UP againt a red hot Winnipeg team in their barn. Then we play a back to back, cant see us winning a game at all this week.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

For sure they do. They should be asking about Raymond too. Nonsense that he's stapled to the bench late in a game when we have a 6 on 4. Absolute nonsense.

Reactions: raymond23

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
For sure they do. They should be asking about Raymond too. Nonsense that he's stapled to the bench late in a game when we have a 6 on 4. Absolute nonsense.

He wasn't stapled to the bench. When playing 6v4, you always go with your regular PP formations, and then add 1 extra player per unit. If you would have put Raymond with PP1 (as the 6th player) you would have a PP2 that hasn't practiced together.

If we talk specifically last game, then they got a double minor, PP1 was out there for a long time, and just as the first penalty expired Debrincat scored. Had he not scored (or scored 1 second earlier) for sure PP2 +1 would have come out, with both Raymond and Seider on it.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Or...Detroit can make a go of it and actually try to make the playoffs? 30 games too early to think about pulling the plug.
Bang on

Its incredibly important for young players to play in meaningful games and gain experiences...

Losing perpetuates losing...it breeds a culture of failure exactly the same as winning does(our 20 plus year playoff record as example)..

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
He wasn't stapled to the bench. When playing 6v4, you always go with your regular PP formations, and then add 1 extra player per unit. If you would have put Raymond with PP1 (as the 6th player) you would have a PP2 that hasn't practiced together.

If we talk specifically last game, then they got a double minor, PP1 was out there for a long time, and just as the first penalty expired Debrincat scored. Had he not scored (or scored 1 second earlier) for sure PP2 +1 would have come out, with both Raymond and Seider on it.
Yes, he was on the bench for every Wings PP. We had 7 PPs and he got maybe 1 minute total of powerplay time, probably less.

Lalonde had him on the bench when were down by a goal with a 6 on 4 late. You are allowed to be happy with that decision, I am allowed to question it. Lucas Raymond is one of our most creative forwards, and has one of the best pure releases, and create offense unlike most of our players. Down a goal late, he needs to be on the ice over Rasmussen and Compher.

Bang on

Its incredibly important for young players to play in meaningful games and gain experiences...

Losing perpetuates losing...it breeds a culture of failure exactly the same as winning does(our 20 plus year playoff record as example)..
Unfortunately, this culture has already been established for a while with this team.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I'm sorry, but these charts of fancy stats are pretty stupid. If you actually watch the games, you would understand.
This is literally why stat watchers think they are always right, but they are just outing themselves as complete fools because you have to watch the game to see the impact.

It's probably a terrible example but it's like how some posters on here don't want Markstrom because he had a bad two years so "obviously" he is in decline. Looking at the stats you would definitely think so, but if you at least watch game highlights, you see a different story. Like his last game on Tuesday was a great game to watch of his to see why and how he could be helpful.

Now, the problem is we can't trade for a goalie because we would have to give up an injured goalie or two and no one is going to take that.

Reactions: RedWingzz

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Bang on

Not trying to be a smart ass...I wonder what Yzerman sees in Lalonde - considering we had Blashill?

michibrit

Dec 21, 2023
I attended my first NHL game on Monday. I've always been a Ducks fan but living in Michigan I have a soft spot for the Wings.

I actually felt sorry for Red Wings fans. The first period was totally unacceptable. Lack of effort, guile and gifting the Ducks easy goals. There was no aggression and I think the team could do with digging out some old videos of the Russian five when it comes to Puck retention, it was awful to watch.

Too many players aren't proud of wearing the Jersey and didn't seem to give a damn. A real lack of leadership from top to bottom.

They did slowly grow into the game, but even with all the power plays, play was so predictable and easy to defend against.

And this is against the Ducks, arguably one of the worst teams in the NHL right now.

For the record I'm no Hockey expert but I do agree with the comments about Seider, he looked by far the best defensemen and a class above the rest. Sure you could tell motivation was lacking from him but that's seems to be a roster wide issue more than anything.

Either way I enjoyed my first live game and I found the arena amazing. I wish I came sooner too experience the Joe and the glory years but I'm sure at some point they'll return in the future. Perhaps the team can give more on the ice and the crowd would get behind them more? I could sense support has been too used to the team seemingly not giving a shit at times this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad