GDT: Game # 30 | Wings @ Devils | 7:00 PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
We are toastarino when he retires.

Depends on where Larkin is at in 2 years. Will he he ready to center our first line in 17-18? Hopefully. He'll only be 21... Jeez. Datsyuk wasn't even in the NHL at that point, let alone centering a first line

Isn't 17-18 when we move to the new arena too? A new arena for a new 1C, noice

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Back to back including travel to New Jersey? I expect a loss tonight.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

Love those Fraction of Off vs Def Zone Starts vs Corsi for percentage of Total Colored by On-Ice Scoring Chances For, per 60 Minutes, sized by Time On Ice and Fraction of Off vs Def Zone Starts vs Corsi For percentage of Total Colored by On-Ice Scoring Chanes For, Per 60 Minutes, Sized by Time On Ice Graphs.

If you can't tell just how valuable Datsyuk is by looking at those, then well, I just don't know what else to tell you

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
It's too bad back-to backs are historically always losses. The league should just cancel them and give out the points for free.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
It's too bad back-to backs are historically always losses. The league should just cancel them and give out the points for free.

Do you have any data on this? I'm just genuinely curious what the numbers would look like in back to backs.

It would be interesting to see an analysis that not only looks at win/loss records but goals for/goals against and shots for/shots against as well

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Still would rather have both Nyquist and Tatar up with Datsyuk then Helm and Richards.

Yeah I've been wishing for this but it just isn't gonna happen. At least one of them should be on the 2nd line to replace Richards. Helm I'd lost hope for but it appears he is turning a corner, returning closer to the higher play he had last season.

I'm sure it's rude but I'm not a fan of Richards. The guy is a legend with over 900 career points but the sun is setting on his days of being an effective NHL player. I don't think he makes the Red Wings any better and at least should not be on the 2nd line. I watched him quite a bit in NY until he was dumped to Chicago where he was...serviceable but had a good playoff. I remember last season feeling sad for Kane paired with him on a line same way as I feel for Dats. Richards biggest weakness is not his lack of speed but his shot. The 1 goal he has was a rebound deflected off a D man. I highly doubt he can score from more than 10 feet out. Pavel needs a goal scorer, not another aged playmaker. :shakehead

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Do you have any data on this? I'm just genuinely curious what the numbers would look like in back to backs.

It would be interesting to see an analysis that not only looks at win/loss records but goals for/goals against and shots for/shots against as well

Here's what I could find in a quick search. It's from 2012.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/44348-campbell-the-impact-of-backtoback-games.html

So far this season, teams playing the back end of back-to-back games have an overall record of 96-105-28 for a .480 points percentage. That compares to a 618-452-129 mark for teams playing games in non-consecutive nights for a .569 points percentage. Of the 30 teams in the NHL, 10 actually have a better record in the second of back-to-back games than they have in the remainder of their games. Here’s the breakdown (PP DIFF represents points percentage differential):

Also interesting, consider the Red Wings of the year 2012!

It’s also interesting to note that the two best teams in the NHL this season – the New York Rangers and Detroit Red Wings, are a combined 13-4-1 in the second of back-to-back games and both are slightly better in those games than the others.

The article concludes...

Which, generally speaking, basically means that the teams that are good and doing well are going to be almost as good in games when they’ve played and travelled the night before. So to expect a guaranteed win or to use it as an excuse for coming up short is based more on perception than reality.

I think the back-to-back thing is overblown, too. But to say it has no impact is also missing the physical toll of travel and not having a rest day. Does it make an entire team look completely gassed or flat? I don't think so, I think that's our bias explaining bad play more often than not. But could it be the difference in a few guys not having that extra gear to make a big play? That seems more possible. I think the differences would be subtle rather than sweeping across the team, as we so often seem to hear announces and fans suggest.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
OT but what the hell happened to Darren Elliott's nose??? Since Nashville it's swollen and deformed on one side, almost like a bee sting. He looks terrible.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
The Devils are (no-joke) 2-12 on either Tuesdays or Fridays

1-7 on Tuesday / 1-5 on Fridays

We are missing our 2 most important forwards. You guys Should win this Lol

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

Hockey Central at Noon did the stats and figured out a team has about a 10 percent disadvantage when playing on a back to back.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Friggin gotta work these 2 days when we have a back to back of course. Well how we lookin? Loose? tired ? out of sync?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad