GDT: Game 30 5:07 PM - Broadway Blueshirts visit Boston - NESN, WBZ-FM 98.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Marchand had a few things to say to the rangers on the bench after that goal. I would pay a lot of money to hear what he said.

It's so funny watching him say one thing to the other bench and watching them all react to it

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
From what i always thought (I could be wrong) but if you were in the clear, you should be awarded the shot, no?

When I was growing up (90s), you had to basically impale a guy with your stick from behind to have a penalty shot called in the NHL.

Post-2004 lockout they have slowly become more and more willing to do it, but now it seems to very, very, very much at the referee's subjective discretion. From what I know, it's something along the lines of "denied a scoring chance on a clean break" but I question the awarding and not awarding of them frequently. Even I don't agree with some penalty calls, I generally understand the POV of the ref. Penalty shots being called or not called seems totally up in the air.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
I think the discretionary portion of the call in this instance is whether Marchand would have broken free before getting too close to the crease or not. With the little separation he had when the penalty occured, it’s not a penalty shot unless it’s clear he would’ve broken free if not for the slash/hook/hold.

I think he would have in this instance, but the ref probably didn’t. We scored anyway, and while Marchand is great on penalty shots (not shootouts), I’ll take that 100% hindsight over a penalty shot, even though the Rangers were perfect on the PK in December up to that point. :laugh:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Riley Nash may not be a top 6 forward, but I'll take him on my bottom 6 forwards pretty much every day. He's a "prime" Greg Campbell, but less stupid, if not just for the fact that he doesn't attempt fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad