Post-Game Talk: Game 3 | Washington Capitals @ New York Islanders | 12 PM [MOD NOTEs #183 & 706]

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Giving up 40+ shots, I am not sure how much of a liability BuraO would be, when its a shooting gallery already.

Lets open it up and have some fire wagon hockey. As a team comes to Bruce's eye, over yonder.

We have scored 2 PPGs but they weren't from set plays. I wanted Barry to show up for game 1 PP1 with a new PP formation, to throw off the work Fred Flinstone had done. But with the PP eeking out 2 goals, I am laying off that for now, for I think he missed the window to adjust anyways.

We have bigger problems at ES. We are not interfering, being tough to play against, working the system at all, and those 4LFs of theirs are coming in at full speed and wrecking our defense. I watch the Isles and than other games, guys are hacking whacking and cross checking all over the place. I dont see us doing it though.

Green certainly was not averse to interfering, lol. He got away with one.

I thought we were OK defending in the defensive zone, but the problem is turning it over trying to get the puck out. We are way too focused on sending everything up the boards, brutally predictable in that regard. A forward needs to stay back and give a lane for a breakout pass. I don't think players are doing enough away from the puck to increase our chances for success in either zone.

Incidentally, toward the end of the 3rd period, Carlson's shot (that was blocked) was ill-advised. The screens were being set up to the right of Halak. He should have passed the puck to Orpik on the left for a better shot with a screen. Or he could have faked the shot and slid to his left, a la Mike Green. Not a good series for Carlson so far.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I will have to watch for our exits more. I am so used to mucking it safely up and out, I think i have grown numb to it.

They were swarming under a heavy forecheck, just clobbering us. I am thinking maybe playing better on offense, or in neutral, may alleviate all of the struggles on D.

Everything has to work in all 3 zones.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I will have to watch for our exits more. I am so used to mucking it safely up and out, I think i have grown numb to it.

They were swarming under a heavy forecheck, just clobbering us. I am thinking maybe playing better on offense, or in neutral, may alleviate all of the struggles on D.

Everything has to work in all 3 zones.

For one their forwards are more well rested when we mount no offense. If they aren't chasing the puck in their zone, they are that much more aggressive in their own zone. And their offensive possessions aren't wasted on line changes.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Now I agree the sport largely becomes mental, but players should be doing everything at this point without thinking, and without having to be begged to work harder.

In the end, the playoffs are the time for coaching to take over. BT should have his players well conditioned, and giving a full effort. All coaches should.

He now gets the luxury of facing the same team over and over. I feel playoff adjustments are mandatory. Our defense never had to face hitting like it did in game 3. He needs to address things like that. We are struggling to score. Moar Ward and Brouwer? Or an injection of Buraoffensky?

More work is not a solution, for the Islanders will simply do the same, and offset it.

I want Burakovsky in the lineup, he can make a difference.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
totally against my basic, don't fix what is not broken, but putting Ovechkin in Brouwer's spot on the pp and putting either Green or Carlson in Ov's one timer spot would certainly change the dynamic of the pp.

That either creates room for Ov in the slot or backs the PK in on him which creates space to shoot from the perimeter and bringing loose pucks and broken players to Ov near the net.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
The PP isn't the problem.

Their approach to the game is passive and reactionary. They're getting out-hit by a smaller, younger team.

The compete level is embarrassingly low for a veteran team in the playoffs.

I'm kind of shocked at what I've seen, to be honest.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
how can you be shocked by anything negative that happens with the Capitals in the playoffs? Seriously. The only think that would shock me would be positive things in repetition.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
shots on the pp have to come from somewhere other than the point or Ovie. That's always been the first fix when teams are pressuring/shading those two spots and the pp gets stale.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
how can you be shocked by anything negative that happens with the Capitals in the playoffs? Seriously. The only think that would shock me would be positive things in repetition.
Or, you know, good habits to help add to the chance of positive outcomes.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Or, you know, good habits to help add to the chance of positive outcomes.

what does that have to do with anything? this coach cant teach good habits and/or these players cant/wont learn them. fine change them.

but, this is not the first group of caps players or the first coach we've been thru with negative playoff results. I am not sure what you expect this time of year.

btw....are we all saying these guys are going to lose this series? maybe I am just a dumb ****er but I am not at all convinced they are going to lose here. I will wait and see the results.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
what does that have to do with anything? this coach cant teach good habits and/or these players cant/wont learn them. fine change them.

but, this is not the first group of caps players or the first coach we've been thru with negative playoff results. I am not sure what you expect this time of year.

btw....are we all saying these guys are going to lose this series? maybe I am just a dumb ****er but I am not at all convinced they are going to lose here. I will wait and see the results.

What exactly gives you the confidence to say they won't lose? They have been horrendous the entire series. I'd be okay if we were down 1-2 if it was a hard fought series so far, but that is far from the case. THey've been a no-show for majority of this series.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I'm confused. Are we supposed to forget the past and stop being negative, or remember the past and lower our expectations?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

It has everything to do with being fully present in the moment if they really want to be successful. They have done very little to make their own good luck in this series. The trendlines don't make me particularly optimistic about their chances. Poor starts are such a killer for them and until they show they're even capable of a good start I can't really expect them to take this series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad