GDT: Game 3: Vancouver Canucks @ Anaheim Ducks - Home Opener!!! - 7 PM PST

Ducksgo*

Oh man, I have no idea. If I had to guess, I think it would be if/when Rakell gets sent down. With him and Holland both on the roster, I think Boudreau would be more inclined to go with them. If Rakell is sent down, however, then I could see Etem getting a look soon after.

If Rakell sticks around, Etem would probably get his first look when there is an injury, or a little further into the season if he just looks real good in the AHL.

This is just me pulling this out of my ass though.

Do you think he will ATLEAST get a look this season? Or am I expecting to much? I know he has to do better in the AHL I'm just curious where your heads at regarding the look at Etem. I mean being called to training camp? And then not one of the first cuts is a good sign right?

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
In games where things were going the Ducks' way. It's not a fair comparison when Holland was being stifled all game.
Things were going our way with the other lines. Rakell's wingers were still ****ing up when the 4th line was out there. I'd go so far as to say Beleskey had his worst game in Rakell's debut. Yet he still found a way to be more than another new number on the ice.

Pahlsson26

Oct 17, 2011
I'm just saying it couldn't hurt to try.

And what could Holland have done? I thought he did fine with what he was given. Beleskey was playing like a hot head. DSP was playing like he was dreaming about dinner. And on top of that the constant penalties short-shifted him and cut any chance of piecing together any sort of individual momentum. This game was not a good one to make a debut in and try to make a good impression. He wasn't good but he wasn't bad either and I appreciated how well he stayed on his skates when the Canucks brought it to him physically.

Boudreau even said post-game that there isn't much he could do offensively as a 4C. They're more or less trying to test the kids' compete levels.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Do you think he will ATLEAST get a look this season? Or am I expecting to much? I know he has to do better in the AHL I'm just curious where your heads at regarding the look at Etem.

I think that's up to Etem. If he can give them a reason, I absolutely think he could get a look.

Edit: As far as training camp goes, I'm not sure that is all that significant. Most 1st round picks are going to get an opportunity to show they belong. Not being among the first cuts, however, is definitely something in his favor, I think. Especially considering the roster heading into training camp. Palmieri had already been pencilled in, and there were only going to be so many rookies on the team. It would have been tough for Etem to play his way onto the team.

Last edited:

Pahlsson26

Oct 17, 2011
Do you think he will ATLEAST get a look this season? Or am I expecting to much? I know he has to do better in the AHL I'm just curious where your heads at regarding the look at Etem. I mean being called to training camp? And then not one of the first cuts is a good sign right?

Only if he can show that he can produce for himself. Shortened season means you need to make risks, but the right ones. If Etem proves that he can be more than just a passenger with two better players, then it'll go a long way in earning the coaches' trust.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Others have mentioned this already, but the reason I'm not overly worried is because of how they played when the game actually was 5 on 5. Are tweaks needed? Of course. But they'll bounce back.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
So was the officiating as bad on tv as it looked live?

And is it me or does the PK appear to have absolutely zero idea of where everyone is supposed to be? I noticed quite a few even strength shifts where the forwards were clueless as well, either not covering the point at all or having two men try to go to the point and leave someone wide open.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Boudreau even said post-game that there isn't much he could do offensively as a 4C. They're more or less trying to test the kids' compete levels.

Well in my opinion he did leave a little off the table tonight and could've brought it a little more, but compared to others I thought his compete level was fine. I just know having watched Norfolk this year that he can hit a higher level than this. Maybe it was just jitters though. Also this is his first game in two weeks isn't it?

Pahlsson26

Oct 17, 2011
Well in my opinion he did leave a little off the table tonight and could've brought it a little more, but compared to others I thought his compete level was fine. I just know having watched Norfolk this year that he can hit a higher level than this. Maybe it was just jitters though. Also this is his first game in two weeks isn't it?

To his credit, he always made the smart play during ES, something that was lost on Rakell in his first game (getting the puck deep for a change, not handcuffing yourself on the ice, a really nice pass off the boards to the point, IIRC). I'm thinking just jitters, or trying to be more defensively safe/aware. He definitely has that next level.

And yeah, he's been sitting for a loooong time. First game since the 11th or 12th.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
So was the officiating as bad on tv as it looked live?

And is it me or does the PK appear to have absolutely zero idea of where everyone is supposed to be? I noticed quite a few even strength shifts where the forwards were clueless as well, either not covering the point at all or having two men try to go to the point and leave someone wide open.

aYup.

I think, defensively, the forwards have been one of the biggest issues. Even more than, IMO, the defense in the crease.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Hiller's gotta be better about poking pucks that float through his crease though. Yes that's part of the D's responsibility. But he needs to do his part.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Others have mentioned this already, but the reason I'm not overly worried is because of how they played when the game actually was 5 on 5. Are tweaks needed? Of course. But they'll bounce back.

I'm not overly worried, but I think we're seeing the same issues in every game. 2nd line needs to be better. PK looks bad. Forwards need to be better in our zone. I think the Ducks have been pretty good at even strength, but they have got to be better on the PK, and they need to be able to take advantage of the opportunities they get on the PP.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Hiller's gotta be better about poking pucks that float through his crease though. Yes that's part of the D's responsibility. But he needs to do his part.

Usually, defense will avoid getting a piece of the puck in the crease and let the goalie handle it. Desperation plays being an exception. The last thing you want to do is get in the way of your goalie or, worse, accidentally put it in your net.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I'm not overly worried, but I think we're seeing the same issues in every game. 2nd line needs to be better. PK looks bad. Forwards need to be better in our zone. I think the Ducks have been pretty good at even strength, but they have got to be better on the PK, and they need to be able to take advantage of the opportunities they get on the PP.

The PK is especially worrisome. It's like they know they'll give one up.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Usually, defense will avoid getting a piece of the puck in the crease and let the goalie handle it. Desperation plays being an exception. The last thing you want to do is get in the way of your goalie or, worse, accidentally put it in your net.

Well...yeah. But when it's so clearly in reach of the goalie's stick, like in today's game, the goalie should poke it away.

iLau

Always Mighty
Feb 11, 2006
Vancouver
Calls were not going the Ducks way, but the PK was horrible, Hiller looked like crap, and it definitely doesn't help that the team couldn't create many offensive chances. Tough game to watch...

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Well...yeah. But when it's so clearly in reach of the goalie's stick, like in today's game, the goalie should poke it away.

I agree. The goalie needs to do what he can to make sure those passes aren't going through the crease. Not only did Hiller not do that, but he really seemed to make a half-hearted attempt to stop the puck. That one had me scratching my head.

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
Well just got back from the game. Had to redeem myself. Our play was underwhelming to say the least but my god the zebras were ridiculous tonight. Maybe I had a ****** view at center ice but that was one of the poorer one sided officiated games I have EVER been too Ducks or not.

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
I'm willing to give Teemu a pass since the man is 42 years old, and I don't think you can count on him to bring it every night on ES anymore. Bobby Ryan has been as frustrating as ever to watch this season. I've been hoping for a few years now that he would show us he's good enough to carry his own line, but the effort just really isn't there. In his defense there isn't any chemistry with him, Bonino and Selanne, but Ryan looks like he is completely fine being just an inconsistent scoring winger. I'm sure he'll get his points this season, he's too damn talented not to, but I'm honestly starting to think Ryan is never going to truly "break out". I hope I'm wrong though, and I know it's just been 3 games but I just needed to vent a bit about Ryan. Bonino isn't good enough 2C, but he's fairly solid defensively so I guess I would be okay with him as an fourth-line center. On the downside he doesn't do well in the face-off dot, and he basically doesn't have a physical side to his game at all.

Other random thoughts:

- 3rd line was awesome again, and they are doing exactly what they are supposed to do out there. I sure hope BB keeps them together. Koivu is an excellent 3C.

- Palmieri wasn't as dangerous offensively as he was in the last two (probably due to Getzlaf and Perry having off games), but he gave a good effort and I think this was the best game he's ever had in the NHL defensively. I hope he can keep it going, and I definitely like him on that top line w/Getz and Perry.

- Hiller was off tonight. I hope to see Fasth on the net tomorrow.

- PK continues to be crap. I think they should split Lydman and Beauchemin on that 1st PK unit. They just haven't looked good at all, but I like that pairing on even strength.

- Fowler looked great, again.

- Sbisa looked bad, again.

- I think Boudreau should just keep the lines as they are, but substitute DSP for Rakell, and rotate Holland/Rakell on Bonino's place if that line continues to struggle.

- I also think we need an another physical bottom six winger. I love the effort from Beleskey, but he just isn't doing anything out there.

- And they've got stop taking those dumb penalties and work on that PK FFS!

eenok*

minor changes would do HUGE for the team.

just simple. vatanen must come in immediately! what to do w sbisa? kills team giving a bad defenseman the biggest? defensiverole. can we trade him? in and out these two and anaheim is much better. i would say a trusty winner team. hiller also. not good. not good at all.

EENOK/IL, Finland

quentez

#8 Teemu Legend
Apr 2, 2011
Trondheim, Norway
Sbisa has looked really bad. Not the first time this year he misses a check near the blueline and totally free's up the lane towards our goal.

I think Cogliano looked great. He's creating a lot of offensive chances and space for others with his speed.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
Some of the calls were pure crap, add to that atrocious PK and we're talking recipe for disaster.

ES game was good, for most of the time.

Sbisa has been really bad, needs to wake up (healthy scratch might do that). Souray and Fowler were best defenseman out there. Fowler especially.

Third line was, again, pretty good. Second line completely non-existent (Bobby needs to be catalyst on that line, also facing much tougher opposition has proven to be bit too much for Bonino so far). DSP needs to go down for the rest of the year (or at least for a while). I'm on the fence with what to do with Rakell, but I'd rather see him develop his game at junior level for one more year, now he knows what to work on to make it with the big club and he can try to implement that stuff at junior level (where he has much more ice time and easier opposition).

Bounce-back game tonight, please. Thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad