Pre-Game Talk: Game 3: Stevie comes home, do we make him leave sad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Let's steal the 3rd and I'm pretty confident that we take the 4th as well. Great to have Abby back.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Looking forward to the "old" lines. The kid line didn't really work out lately.

No player was good through both games. Datsyuk was great in game 1, not so much in game 2. The same with Mrazek and glenny.
There Are many who have to step up.
Quincey is the only one being solid in both games.

This game doesn't decide the series per se but I think it will decide if we can win it. If we can't outplay them in one of first three games I don't see a chance over seven games.

Splitting the 2 games vs the best home team is not bad at all. Sure it was not in a "veni-vidi-vici" manner, still the result counts.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
This is where Detroit has given the series away some of the last playoff years. 1-1 going home with a great chance and they drop 2 on home ice. If they do it for 3rd time in 4 years, that is completely unacceptable and something needs to change. Well, hopefully they win both and we don't have to worry about it

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

This article is essentially one big "well, duh."

Tatar, Sheahan, and Nyquist haven't been good together this year and all three of them struggled in the playoffs last year. So you put them together and it doesn't work out? Well, duh.

Weiss-Joker-Jurco has been trash defensively AND offensively? When 2/3 of the line can't score consistently and 2/3 of the line is slow and soft? Color me surprised.

Marchenko has never played on an NHL 2nd pairing in a run-of-the-mill regulation game against an average team but he's somehow not looking good facing 2nd pairing match-ups against one of the deepest offensive teams in the league in his first playoff stint? Downright shocking.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ericsson not practicing, so Smith could potentially be filling in for him???

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Smith makes some boneheaded plays, no doubt about it, but he played very well last year against Boston in my opinion so I'm not opposed to giving him another shot.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Smith in for game 3

This is not good news

Have you seen Marchenko? Or Zidlicky for that matter?

At this point, we know two things for sure: Marchenko looks significantly worse than he did in the regular season and last year Smith was better in the playoffs than he was in the regular season.

This is, at worst, a lateral move.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
What's the reasoning on not having game 3 tonight? Why would they go Saturday afternoon all the way to Tuesday night? Makes no sense to have 3.5 days in between games in the playoffs.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Splitting the 2 games vs the best home team is not bad at all. Sure it was not in a "veni-vidi-vici" manner, still the result counts.

We can lose the game and still win the series, but it depends if we show improvements and just get a little unlucky not to walk away with the win or not. If you don't figure it out by game 3 I don't give it much hope. We're not gonna catch four wins with luck.

Have you seen Marchenko? Or Zidlicky for that matter?

At this point, we know two things for sure: Marchenko looks significantly worse than he did in the regular season and last year Smith was better in the playoffs than he was in the regular season.

This is, at worst, a lateral move.

It can't come as a huge shock that Marchenko struggled a bit with pace here coming straight from the AHL to the NHL playoffs with one meaningsless game in between. I still think it was worth the chance though, if it panned out he would've brought another dimension to our defense.

When it comes to Zidlicky, he just has to be better. We're not asking him to play the toughest assignments out there, at least he has to not give the puck away and take bad penalties.

Smith deserve a shot here, hopefully he has trained hard and is ready to go.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive · 28m 28 minutes ago
Lines:
Abdelkader-Zetterberg-Nyquist
Helm-Datsyuk-Tatar
Andersson-Sheahan-Jurco
Miller-Glendening-Ferraro
Weiss and Pulkkinen rotating in.

Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive · 26m 26 minutes ago
Defense pairs:
Kronwall- Cleary (holding Ericsson's place)
DeKeyser-Quincey
Smith-Zidlicky
Looks like Marchenko is out, skating with Kindl.

Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive · 15m 15 minutes ago
Power-play units:
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Sheahan, Abdelkader (net front), Kronwall
and
Tatar-Datsyuk-Jurco, Helm (net front), Zidlicky

I like everything about those lines except Weiss should be in for Andy. Hopefully Smith can be a physical presence and play with some grit and help slow down the Tampa forecheck.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Why did the Red Wings wait until the playoffs to tinker with the lineup? So dumb.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Never thought I would be this excited to see Abdelkader back in the lineup.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Joakim Andersson as your 3rd line LW in the playoffs is garbage.

Otherwise, don't mind the lines.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Joakim Andersson as your 3rd line LW in the playoffs is garbage.

Otherwise, don't mind the lines.

Might as well try Pulkkinen there... Andersson shouldn't have anything more than a fourth line role, but Babcock seems to trust him so he's in to keep the third line "safe" defensively. Right now that line is just flat out weak and clearly the one to exploit for Tampa. Luckily we have the home ice for last change, but still...

Really glad to see Tatar, Datsyuk, and Helm back together. I get that Abdelkader being out made the switch happen, but that's been by far our best and most consistent line all season long so having them split for the playoffs was beyond questionable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad