GDT: Game 3: Sharks vs Hurricanes 7:30pm NBCSCA

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Absolutely not. He's a #7 right now at best. He doesn't do anything well except maybe block shots.

Defensemen that have a high amount of blocked shots do so because they are a possession black hole when they're on the ice and are hemmed in their own zone 90% of the time.

I call this the Kris Russell effect.

Last edited:

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I remember when people acted like Jr. was a genius scout for drafting Ferraro.
Ferraro is a hit, even if he's turned out not to be a very good hit. Given that, "genius" is clearly hyperbolic, though the Norris pick was a good one

More criticism should perhaps be directed at the Merkley/Knyazev/Hamaliuk/Wiesblatt selections. It looks like none of them are going to turn into NHL players (I don't think much of Wiesblatt and don't expect him to turn into anything more than a mediocre AHL forward, though I did think Merkley deserved more of a shot until the end of last season and that doesn't look like it's an accurate assessment).

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
It's disappointing seeing how frequently the team just show its belly. They used to always do it in the playoffs, and now they do it in the RS. For the days of the hard-nosed Sutter teams...

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
It's disappointing seeing how frequently the team just show its belly. They used to always do it in the playoffs, and now they do it in the RS. For the days of the hard-nosed Sutter teams...

The three whole games they’ve played make it real clear they are a heap of unmanly pushovers. If only they played with more GRIT, then… why then they’d still be getting outclassed, out-possessed, and out-played; but they’d make angry faces and aggressive noises. They’d wield violence with fervor and abandon; still losing, never really having sniffed victory. All the while exuding the aura of distilled chewing tobacco and dirt rubbed wounds.

Sutter’s Sharks teams, entertaining in their era, would get smoked in today’s NHL.

I actually think this team has played with some determination and battled pretty hard with some very good teams, having kept themselves in games they didn’t really have any business threatening to win. This team is currently deploying a PP1 unit of five forwards, including the animated corpse of Mike Hoffman. Jan Rutta is quarterbacking the 2nd unit. The entire defensive corps is seemingly allergic to moving a puck, living up to every offseason prediction. I don’t think obscuring bellies and moar truculence is going to materially change the results. But, I suppose, the fan base could rest easier knowing their team wasn’t constructed entirely of girly men… I guess?

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The three whole games they’ve played make it real clear they are a heap of unmanly pushovers. If only they played with more GRIT, then… why then they’d still be getting outclassed, out-possessed, and out-played; but they’d make angry faces and aggressive noises. They’d wield violence with fervor and abandon; still losing, never really having sniffed victory. All the while exuding the aura of distilled chewing tobacco and dirt rubbed wounds.

Sutter’s Sharks teams, entertaining in their era, would get smoked in today’s NHL.

I actually think this team has played with some determination and battled pretty hard with some very good teams, having kept themselves in games they didn’t really have any business threatening to win. This team is currently deploying a PP1 unit of five forwards, including the animated corpse of Mike Hoffman. Jan Rutta is quarterbacking the 2nd unit. The entire defensive corps is seemingly allergic to moving a puck, living up to every offseason prediction. I don’t think obscuring bellies and moar truculence is going to materially change the results. But, I suppose, the fan base could rest easier knowing their team wasn’t constructed entirely of girly men… I guess?
Being full of piss and vinegar is understandable when you are young. But you're not young anymore. Time to grow up.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Being full of piss and vinegar is understandable when you are young. But you're not young anymore. Time to grow up.
To be fair, I don't think you can just say "this team is soft" in re: why we're 0-2-1. The team is simply getting outplayed and outskilled. I don't see a lack of battle / "showing belly" as even in the top 5 of reasons why we are a bad team this year, or even a bad team thru three games.

1. We have played 3 teams that are either cup winners or serious contenders in the past 3 seasons.
2. In contrast, we have about one 2nd line and 3 bottom 6 lines. We have about 1-2 top line forwards on the whole roster.
3. Even worse, we have about 1-2 middle pairing D-men at best (zero top-pairing D men), and 5-6 bottom pairing D-men.
4. We have a reclamation project goalie who is playing very well but can't be expected to hold back a 2 or 3 to 1 shot advantage... he did steal us one point off the cup favorite Avs.
5. This team, being a collection of underskilled misfits, has also never played together, while we've played 3 teams that have not only been serious contenders recently, but have very well defined and established successful systems, so that any roster turnover is easily absorbed.

I honestly think this team has outperformed my expectations thru three games and grit/soft/etc has nothing to do with the record.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
This is exactly what we wanted to happen and yet there are people complaining that it's happening? Like do you all not know how a rebuild is supposed to work? It isn't pretty and isn't fun in the moment, but it is necessary if you're hoping to improve in the future.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
This is exactly what we wanted to happen and yet there are people complaining that it's happening? Like do you all not know how a rebuild is supposed to work? It isn't pretty and isn't fun in the moment, but it is necessary if you're hoping to improve in the future.
I think the vast majority of folks on here are on board with this (reddit is another story...) but even in a losing season there's debate about whether the losing is good losing or bad losing.

I happen to think that the losing has looked like good losing. Good effort, some very early sparks from Zadina, goals and OK (not great) play from Ek and Bords. Givani Smith contributing. Blackwood looking pretty solid. We've been truly outmatched but nobody gave up and it wasn't embarrassing.

Jts4thgoal

King of the idiots
Aug 28, 2015
I love the inevitable DC quote after every loss of, "we didn't play hard" and the players saying "we didn't play the way we are supposed to".

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I don't even think this has been ugly

Reactions: hotcabbagesoup

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
I don't understand why Thrun is not on the PP1? He's clearly better option than Hoffman and Rutta is okay for the PP2 with the team clearly not competing.

This year is about finding out what you have, let young players have chance to sometimes fail and learn.

Reactions: hotcabbagesoup

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't understand why Thrun is not on the PP1? He's clearly better option than Hoffman and Rutta is okay for the PP2 with the team clearly not competing.

This year is about finding out what you have, let young players have chance to sometimes fail and learn.
My guess with that is that they don't view Thrun as a lineup regular in that when everyone is healthy, he's one of the odd men out. If that is the case then your top unit should consist of guys you're definitely playing and practicing with. Against the good teams thus far, the five forward power play has been pretty rough but I don't think anyone other than Thrun would contribute to a PP1 outside of covering defense on a break against. But doing it to that degree where you're fairly certain puck play will suffer offensively basically kills the power play advantage.

Though I tend to agree with the point of making Thrun a regular and running him there consistently. The issue is who sits to do that. Personally, I'd be looking to trade Ferraro at some point to make room for Thrun. Ferraro doesn't do anything but take beatings for the team. Yeah, there's value in that but Vlasic can do that just fine and we can't move him for the remainder of his deal. We can probably get a 2nd for Ferraro.

ieglover

Mar 19, 2006
My guess with that is that they don't view Thrun as a lineup regular in that when everyone is healthy, he's one of the odd men out. If that is the case then your top unit should consist of guys you're definitely playing and practicing with. Against the good teams thus far, the five forward power play has been pretty rough but I don't think anyone other than Thrun would contribute to a PP1 outside of covering defense on a break against. But doing it to that degree where you're fairly certain puck play will suffer offensively basically kills the power play advantage.

Though I tend to agree with the point of making Thrun a regular and running him there consistently. The issue is who sits to do that. Personally, I'd be looking to trade Ferraro at some point to make room for Thrun. Ferraro doesn't do anything but take beatings for the team. Yeah, there's value in that but Vlasic can do that just fine and we can't move him for the remainder of his deal. We can probably get a 2nd for Ferraro.
Regardless of who takes his place, I just dont get Hoffman on that PP1 unit. The only time I notice him during the game is when I am getting frustrated with him during the PP.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Regardless of who takes his place, I just dont get Hoffman on that PP1 unit. The only time I notice him during the game is when I am getting frustrated with him during the PP.
With our lack of an offensive defenseman, and Hoffman being a good PP player during his career (he has a good shot and we need to build his trade value) it's not like there's anyone else to play there.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
Also I get that they want to up certain veterans trade value, but in Hoffman case I don't see a bright value even if he gets opportunities. Duclair and Barbie I understand, they can still have important value for a playoff team come trade deadline.
Zadina is officially not for sale IMO, he has shown that he gives a damn, has played well and should be part of the next regime.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Also I get that they want to up certain veterans trade value, but in Hoffman case I don't see a bright value even if he gets opportunities. Duclair and Barbie I understand, they can still have important value for a playoff team come trade deadline.
Zadina is officially not for sale IMO, he has shown that he gives a damn, has played well and should be part of the next regime.
Duclair and Barabanov can't play the point of a PP though. Even though Hoffman hasn't been great at it, he has the tools to be able to.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
You can’t see the bright value in Hoffman after 3 games? How far off is the trade deadline??

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Why are postgame interviews not being posted anywhere? Are the Sharks really going backwards in coverage?

• Haha
Reactions: drunksage

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
takes through 2 games: Blackwood is legit…Defense Is bad…Zadina will lead the team in goals…Eklund should be a full timer, no reassignment.…Hertl is our best all around player. Yeah 48 doesnt pop on the stat sheet but he does a lot of dirty work to create and defend. Just my opinions.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
takes through 2 games: Blackwood is legit…Defense Is bad…Zadina will lead the team in goals…Eklund should be a full timer, no reassignment.…Hertl is our best all around player. Yeah 48 doesnt pop on the stat sheet but he does a lot of dirty work to create and defend. Just my opinions.
Man if we had players that could finish, 48 would be popping off, especially on the PP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad