GDT: Game 3: Seattle Kraken @ Columbus Blue Jackets, 4:00 p.m. PT/7:00 p.m. ET

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Thought the Kraken should have won...they had plenty of chances,perhaps they will be luckier in Philly

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I was out golfing and missed most of the game. Caught few minutes of the 3rd and the OT.

- I am again surprised at us sitting on leads and letting CBJ bounce back.
- Gruby looked good. Again.

I think if Hakstol keeps this type of coaching up, I will start asking for his head eventually. We are still short Gourde and Blackwell so that should help but man, this prevent defense is going to suck when we actually start playing against offensive powershouses.

Reactions: kihei

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
I think if Hakstol keeps this type of coaching up, I will start asking for his head eventually. We are still short Gourde and Blackwell so that should help but man, this prevent defense is going to suck when we actually start playing against offensive powershouses.
It wasn't nearly as bad as last game. They were more aggressive today. However, they lost this game and won the last so maybe the turtle isn't so bad even if it's painful to watch

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
We had no business getting a point out of that game, Grubauer played allstar hockey. The goaltender first strategy has shown dividends so far.

.500 after 3 road games for a new team, no complaints.

Time to see what Dreidger can do.

BeniersIsKraken

2022-23 Adopted Kraken: Matty Beniers
Jul 24, 2021
We had no business getting a point out of that game, Grubauer played allstar hockey. The goaltender first strategy has shown dividends so far.

.500 after 3 road games for a new team, no complaints.

Time to see what Dreidger can do.
:huh: not sure I follow to logic to start Driedger when Grubauer has been playing so well, unless it’s simply to give Gru a rest.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Scouting Philly (0-0- 1) and NJ (1-0-0), how does Hakstol deploy the G?

Stick with Grubauer for both games?

Grubauer @ Flyers, Dreidger @ Devils?

Dreidger @ Flyers, Grubauer @ Devils?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It wasn't nearly as bad as last game. They were more aggressive today. However, they lost this game and won the last so maybe the turtle isn't so bad even if it's painful to watch
Since I missed most of the game and only got the last part of the 3rd and OT, I will take your word for it. To me, I have no idea how bad they turtled today in the 3rd. I started watching after the game was tied 1-1 in the third and we actually looked good and were pushing to take the lead. OT looked good again but I think a bad change may have caused us the game.

Hoping we bounce back against Philly on Monday.

BeniersIsKraken

2022-23 Adopted Kraken: Matty Beniers
Jul 24, 2021
I would expect Gruby to start against the Flyers and Dreidger against the Devils. I would be pretty surprised if Gruby gets both games.
Especially on a B2B, however there is a 4 day break before our…wait for it…home opener!!! I still expect Driedger to get one game.

Reactions: Tao Jones

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Especially on a B2B, however there is a 4 day break before our…wait for it…home opener!!! I still expect Driedger to get one game.

I would expect Gruby to start against the Flyers and Dreidger against the Devils. I would be pretty surprised if Gruby gets both games.

Yeah I assume it will be a split. Just thought maybe Philly might be seen as the weaker team with a minute sample size and maybe Dreidger would get the start there. Maybe it's better for Grubauer to not get extra day of rust and stay in his regular routine/rotation.

edit: I think Hakstol really wants to win in Philly and goes with Grubauer and Dreidger starts in NJ.

Reactions: Gniwder

Spoonman32

Jun 22, 2011
So I didn't see the Nashville game but after seeing this game I'm thinking their issues are less about the coaches' systems and more about the fact that this team hasn't yet learned to play at a quicker pace. Playing more instinctually/habitually will take some time. While they can carry the play at times, far too often all over the ice I'm seeing them take too long to move the puck, too long with their decision making. It's a big reason why they are not only so porous defensively but offensively too in not getting quality looks, getting shots through, finding open ice. More skating and less thinking. The backchecking desire is there but they are struggling keeping up with the opposition's speed/pace.

Reactions: wewantyoursoul

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Well, back to back games where we've been way too passive playing with the lead in the third period.
After they tied the game we had a good push back but need more of that playing with the lead.
Though, it's still pretty early and the team still needs to figure out how to play with each other.

The second Columbus goal was also a pretty bad change giving them a 3 on 2 on which they converted.

Overall I'm OK with a point on the road and Grubi was very good in this one.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
I was out golfing and missed most of the game. Caught few minutes of the 3rd and the OT.

- I am again surprised at us sitting on leads and letting CBJ bounce back.
- Gruby looked good. Again.

There is some serious reasons for concern here even after game three. There were prevent D issues with Hakstol in Philly as well. The prevent D with a slight lead is a killer. In the third period, Hakstol at times looks lost like a deer in headlights. The team isn't deep enough nor have they played together long enough to execute keeping a one goal lead. Goal tending was the difference last night and there are a lot of good things. Early into the season would prefer to have Hakstol let the offence gel and avoid the prevent. The area of concern with the team was offensively after the expansion draft. Let the offense grow by seeing who will elevate their game and which players gel together,

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Oh come on with the whole coach must be fired... Its only 3 dang games.

Yes but it's not his first head coaching gig, and already the old (and frustrating) behaviors are present.
Down the road we may well see that a lot of the points are coming from OT losses.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
:huh: not sure I follow to logic to start Driedger when Grubauer has been playing so well, unless it’s simply to give Gru a rest.
Yes, rest. The guy is great but let's not burn him out first month. Three in a row is above usual in this day and age and he's been busy too. They're also on the road, it'll take it's toll.

Reactions: BeniersIsKraken

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Yeah I assume it will be a split. Just thought maybe Philly might be seen as the weaker team with a minute sample size and maybe Dreidger would get the start there. Maybe it's better for Grubauer to not get extra day of rust and stay in his regular routine/rotation.

edit: I think Hakstol really wants to win in Philly and goes with Grubauer and Dreidger starts in NJ.
Don't see a GDT for tonight yet, so I'll put this here before it's locked.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I guess Driedger will get his first game tomorrow in New Jersey.

BTW: If anyone wants to create a GDT for tonights game in Philly just go ahead and if you have a specific game(to create a GDT) in mind you can grab it here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad