Pre-Game Talk: Game 3 of the Toronto Maple Leafs vs Tampa Bay Lightning series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
One small adjustment I want to see is when there’s a rush and a winger is streaking in and likely to attempt a snipe from the side wall, the opposite side defenseman can do a better job covering the puck as it rims around to avoid those unnecessary odd man rushes against.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
We played with an unreal focus and sharpness in Game 1. When on PK, the Leafs were aggressive and the D were deflecting the cross ice passes effectively. Tampa really had to work to maintain possession on the PP and even strength. Need to get back to that in Game 3.

Also need to make some adjustments. Marner and Matthews have had productive games offensively in Game 1 and 2. Matthews was excellent in the 1st game, had some really good shifts in the 2nd game (one really special play) but besides that, he was on for a few goals against. He'll be a key focus for Tampa Bay to shut down. He won't get much space on the PP. He just needs to make an impact defensively and throw his weight around.

John Tavares needs to play better, plain and simple. He was fine in game 1, invisible in game 2. He's the leader of this game and needs to lead by example.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
If we can play like we did 5-on-5 (especially like we did in the 1st), finish the game at least even in the special teams game, I like our chances.

I don't feel the pressure is on any one player... as a team, we are good enough to beat anyone in the East. It's got to be the collective, because we just watched Matthews and Marner have a great game and we lost by 2.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Need to stay out of the box a bit. If the refs allow it of course. I didn't expect they would win four straight games against Tampa. We knew they would push back and they did. Now it's the Leafs turn to make a response. They didn't look awful in game two but I'd rather see the game one Leafs again.

I wasn't a fan of the first three(?) goals Jack let in yesterday. He was good in game one but wasn't really tested a whole lot. Looking at the way the teams have played each other even going back into the season, I don't think we're going to get very close games one way or another this series. Vasi concerns me...

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
8 goals against Vasi in 2 games is a good sign.

Need one of the two in TB and then take care of business at home.

Let's get tomorrow and give themselves a chance to get both.

GLG!

danron1376

Jan 3, 2011
marner is playing like a superstar that wants to win. can't wait to see what he does in tampa bay.

also, please get JT away from the offensive black hole that is Mikheyev. put JT back with Nylander. Mikheyev can play a defensive role on the 3rd line and have PK minutes.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
One small adjustment I want to see is when there’s a rush and a winger is streaking in and likely to attempt a snipe from the side wall, the opposite side defenseman can do a better job covering the puck as it rims around to avoid those unnecessary odd man rushes against.
Good call.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
marner is playing like a superstar that wants to win. can't wait to see what he does in tampa bay.

also, please get JT away from the offensive black hole that is Mikheyev. put JT back with Nylander. Mikheyev can play a defensive role on the 3rd line and have PK minutes.

I don't think it has to do with Mikheyev more than how they deploy Tavares. They need to get Tavares more involved. He does all of the hard work on that line but as soon as he gets to the offensive end, he doesn't move from the front of the net where there are usually two Bolts players covering him. I guess he does a good job opening up space and taking attention away from his linemates, but it doesn't really help him get involved otherwise.

I would prefer Mikheyev in front of the net and let Tavares get the puck on his stick and in space a little bit more. Rotate the two based on the situation. That is how they used to do it when he played with Johnsson or Hyman, and there is no reason why Mikheyev can't fill that role on the cycle.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
this is a very important game, most definitely the biggest of the series up to this point

I’d put nylander and Tavares together for a bit and see if it works, if it does we could really use the offensive touch…Nylander playing with David kampf is not a good idea

Reactions: Jojalu

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Clifford needs to get back in. Maybe simmonds sits.
Tavares needs to show up and Soup has to have a better game
Two easy goals

4-2 leafs
Kase and Simmonds sitting. Clifford and Spezza in is my guess.

Clifford - Blackwell - Spezza is my guess tomorrow night

Top 9 of our forward group is still just so soft.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Our top 9 forward group is still just so soft.

I look at Tampa and when they have big guys like Killorn/Palat/Hagel/Paul/Cirelli all finishing checks and creating havoc to go along with their skill....I'm envious.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Our top 9 forward group is still just so soft.

I look at Tampa and when they have big guys like Killorn/Palat/Hagel/Paul/Cirelli all finishing checks and creating havoc to go along with their skill....I'm envious.
I mean we've dominated 5 on 5 play so they should have more hits than us.

Nobody other than Cirelli has been noticably physical to the point where it caused us much grief.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Bunting --- Matthews --- Marner
Mikheyev --- Tavares --- Engvall
Nylander --- Kerfoot --- Kase
Blackwell --- Kampf --- Spezza
I don't know If Keefe will do it but I think Engvall with Tavares could work really well. I hope Mik figures it out. He's a guy I haven't noticed much yet this post season.

Buzzman17

Apr 13, 2017
Keefe needs to move Marner to play on second line with Tavares and put Nylander up with Matthews. Tampa is going to smother Marner Matthews with home ice and this is the only way to respond on the road and get Tavares going.

Reactions: ToneDog

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Keefe needs to move Marner to play on second line with Tavares and put Nylander up with Matthews. Tampa is going to smother Marner Matthews with home ice and this is the only way to respond on the road and get Tavares going.
Smother them with who?

Not sure breaking up the only two guys putting up points is the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad