[Game 3: Oct 16] Calgary Flames (1-1-0) @ Washington Capitals (0-1-0) 5:00pm MT on SN1-Flames

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That is most Flame game ever. Get told all offseason that Phillips isn't any good and no one will miss him. Only for Phillips to be a main piece in a comeback against us in the exact way we were told he wouldn't have been able to do for us last year, which of course could have made us a playoff team.
Getting points doesn't make someone a "main piece". Phillips tapped in a great pass by Milano, a pass he didn't even get cleanly... then he made a pass to a guy who hit Weegar's skate and got a lucky bounce, literally the only 2 time I recall Phillips name in regards to anything remotely impactful.

Kid had a good result, but stop pretending like he carried them back or something, he was in the right place at the right time. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Why do we pretend we won the Hanifin Lindholm trade? We lost it badly. We gave up 2 #1 defensemen who won or were finalists for the Norris and got back a low end 1C and a 2/3 defenseman. We didn't win that trade. We draft well outside of the 1st round. That's about the only thing we have been a high end organization at.

We've also been a high end organization at bleeding talent. And sucking at drafting goalies. And barely making/missing the playoffs.
so there

#1 defenseman Dougie Hamilton lmao
Dougie is a very talented hockey player. A #1 defenseman he is not and he will never be.
Fox made it clear he was never going to play a game for the Flames. You can't equate that value to #1 dman. Still a good draft pick.

We got two top of the lineup players in trade and signed them both for under 5 million for 6 years. That's a win. Trading them both for more draft picks and talented prospects would be another.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
We've also been a high end organization at bleeding talent. And sucking at drafting goalies. And barely making/missing the playoffs.
so there

#1 defenseman Dougie Hamilton lmao
Dougie is a very talented hockey player. A #1 defenseman he is not and he will never be.
Fox made it clear he was never going to play a game for the Flames. You can't equate that value to #1 dman. Still a good draft pick.

We got two top of the lineup players in trade and signed them both for under 5 million for 6 years. That's a win. Trading them both for more draft picks and talented prospects would be another.
Dougie has been a top end defenseman ever since he left here. He finished tied for 5th in Norris votes just last season.

Yes Fox didn't want to be here. Neither did Tkachuk. The return wasn't terrible for Fox, Hamilton and Ferland, but if anyone won that trade it certainly wasn't us.

Reactions: Dertell

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Dougie has been a top end defenseman ever since he left here. He finished tied for 5th in Norris votes just last season.

Yes Fox didn't want to be here. Neither did Tkachuk. The return wasn't terrible for Fox, Hamilton and Ferland, but if anyone won that trade it certainly wasn't us.

Dougie has lived a blessed NHL life being paired with Chara, Giordano, and Slavin his whole career. He'll always put up a bunch of points but he does not possess the qualities for being a #1. He's soft as hell. There's good reason he was on NHL team #4 before he was 30.

Trading that for a RFA low end 1C and another quality top 4 dman seems pretty good to me. They have both outperformed their contracts substantially in my opinion. Ferland was a physical injury prone middle 6 winger. I liked him but teams have lots of those. Fox was very promising sure but still had never played a NHL game. It was widely known he would only play for the Rangers as well.

Trading Tkachuk for a twice as expensive Alex Tanguay looks like a much worse offense.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I got so busy I had no time to catch this one. Glad for the point. I see Ruz got a goal and assist, 2 and 0 on faceoffs.
Better bench him.

Go Flams!

Reactions: Boomstick

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
82uu9e.jpg

Hope they both light it up this season.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Dougie has lived a blessed NHL life being paired with Chara, Giordano, and Slavin his whole career. He'll always put up a bunch of points but he does not possess the qualities for being a #1. He's soft as hell. There's good reason he was on NHL team #4 before he was 30.

Trading that for a RFA low end 1C and another quality top 4 dman seems pretty good to me. They have both outperformed their contracts substantially in my opinion. Ferland was a physical injury prone middle 6 winger. I liked him but teams have lots of those. Fox was very promising sure but still had never played a NHL game. It was widely known he would only play for the Rangers as well.

Trading Tkachuk for a twice as expensive Alex Tanguay looks like a much worse offense.
He played with NJD last year. He was easily their top defenseman. I mean Dougie isn't as soft as Hughes, Fox, Karlsson ect. Lidstrom could be considered soft. You don't have to be Chris Pronger or Ken Daneyko to be a really good defenseman. I generally agree with most of your points, but you're dead wrong if you think Dougie isn't a #1 defenseman. He's been top 10 in Norris votes in 4 of the last 6 seasons. There's only 5 defensemen in the league who can say that.

Agreed on the Tkachuk trade being much worse. Before the signings it had potential to be a good trade. Say you moved Huberdeau at the TDL for a 1st, 2nd and prospect. Say you moved Weegar for a 1st and 3rd. Say you just rode out Monahan and didn't move a 1st to sign another bad deal. You would have a pretty good haul for Tkachuk. Sadly, this didn't happen and it consigned us to a decade of being kind of bad instead of 4 years of being an actual bottom 10 team with a whole bunch of cap space to weaponize.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

Hard to find players like that. You gotta draft them.

Hard to find players that score a goal and an assist? Guess what Phillips' shooting percentage will have to be to keep up his pace, the way he's playing?
I also wonder how long the list of former flames draft picks that scored a goal with another team is? Could we post them all and cry about those too?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Hard to find players that score a goal and an assist? Guess what Phillips' shooting percentage will have to be to keep up his pace, the way he's playing?
I also wonder how long the list of former flames draft picks that scored a goal with another team is? Could we post them all and cry about those too?
Guess it took 1 business evening for you to decide not to join ditch us for cp.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He played with NJD last year. He was easily their top defenseman. I mean Dougie isn't as soft as Hughes, Fox, Karlsson ect. Lidstrom could be considered soft. You don't have to be Chris Pronger or Ken Daneyko to be a really good defenseman. I generally agree with most of your points, but you're dead wrong if you think Dougie isn't a #1 defenseman. He's been top 10 in Norris votes in 4 of the last 6 seasons. There's only 5 defensemen in the league who can say that.

Agreed on the Tkachuk trade being much worse. Before the signings it had potential to be a good trade. Say you moved Huberdeau at the TDL for a 1st, 2nd and prospect. Say you moved Weegar for a 1st and 3rd. Say you just rode out Monahan and didn't move a 1st to sign another bad deal. You would have a pretty good haul for Tkachuk. Sadly, this didn't happen and it consigned us to a decade of being kind of bad instead of 4 years of being an actual bottom 10 team with a whole bunch of cap space to weaponize.
It’s hard to imagine Huberdeau was actually a top player at some point. Has anyone ever gone that bad moving to a new team?
A top 10 player , now may not even be top 100?

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Huberdeau's icetime is up from last year, and his shooting and scoring chance are up. All good things. We're three games in.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Lot's and lot's of hot takes being thrown around after just three games in which quite frankly we have improved on a game to game basis. By no means has it been a dream start to the season, but come on, this fanbase needs to relax a little bit.

If you want to complain about something or somebody it should be Nazem Kadri who has flat out has been a complete liability and this teams worst player by a significant margin through three games. Now, usually you don't want to put too much emphasis on a three game sample size, but it's seriously concerning considering his second half and finish to last year. Quite frankly, he looks like a player who has no interest in competing on a nightly basis.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Lot's and lot's of hot takes being thrown around after just three games in which quite frankly we have improved on a game to game basis. By no means has it been a dream start to the season, but come on, this fanbase needs to relax a little bit.

If you want to complain about something or somebody it should be Nazem Kadri who has flat out has been a complete liability and this teams worst player by a significant margin through three games. Now, usually you don't want to put too much emphasis on a three game sample size, but it's seriously concerning considering his second half and finish to last year. Quite frankly, he looks like a player who has no interest in competing on a nightly basis.
Is it 3 games though? It is more like game 85 for this roster.

Agreed on Kadri.

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby

Do you think Huska would ever healthy scratch him or does that "poison the room" (I've always felt like even w Sutter we're too scared to healthy scratch players that make more than 1M yr) and do more damage than good? I think it'd wake him the f*** up out of sheer embarrassment. He's currently not better than Monahan and we gave him up and a first for the privilege of the cap space to sign Kadri. I'm actually shocked with how poor he has been. I didn't expect 90 pts, but 70 with a solid two way game and high energy pest attributes as well.

Last edited:

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Do you think Huska would ever healthy scratch him or does that "poison the room" (I've always felt like even w Sutter we're too scared to healthy scratch players that make more than 1M yr) and do more damage than good? I think it'd wake him the f*** up out of sheer embarrassment. He's currently not better than Monahan and we gave him up and a first for the privilege of the cap space to sign Kadri. I'm actually shocked with how poor he has been. I didn't expect 90 pts, but 70 with a solid two way game and high energy pest attributes as well.

I don't think it has crossed Huska's mind after just three games. Kadri has earned the opportunity to show that this early start can be rectified. I would however seriously consider moving him to the wing at the moment. He's not competing hard enough or focusing enough on the small details of the game to be relied upon at the center ice position currently.

I agree that the Monahan trade was a disaster from day one, and the Kadri signing that followed has only compounded the problem as we sit here today.

I am not completely writing the guy off, but he needs to really look in the mirror and get back to what made him so successful previously.

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
I don't think it has crossed Huska's mind after just three games. Kadri has earned the opportunity to show that this early start can be rectified. I would however seriously consider moving him to the wing at the moment. He's not competing hard enough or focusing enough on the small details of the game to be relied upon at the center ice position currently.

I agree that the Monahan trade was a disaster from day one, and the Kadri signing that followed has only compounded the problem as we sit here today.

I am not completely writing the guy off, but he needs to really look in the mirror and get back to what made him so successful previously.
Well said. Agreed on all points.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3