GDT: Game 3 | Detroit Red Wings @ Columbus | 7 PM EST

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The Wings were completely on top of the Jackets for the last 40 minutes. Literally a man in front of them at every point in the neutral zone. And the Jackets very stubbornly insisted on carrying pucks through that thicket and failed over and over again. We're so insistent that we're a skill team that we run ourselves into a wall over and over again. You have to adapt to what you're up against.

I see two options, one is dump and chase, we'd need a lot more speed and numbers and to attack in unison. This is not something the Jackets have developed since Torts and I don't think we know how to do it anymore. The other option is the stretch pass. Have guys like Fantilli and KJ and Gaudreau try and get behind the defense. And if the Wings defense moves back to negate that, well at least it opened space behind them that the Jackets can carry through.

I think I can see the appeal to what Vincent is trying to do, guys moving up the ice together in close support positions, but don't do it vs this type of defense.
I don't think that's part of the tactic. Look how they played the first period. In my opinion there were faceoff problems, only Jenner and Kuraly were good, the others were bad, so, for example, the Laine line with Texier and Fantilli had a disadvantage. And yet they were more dangerous on offense. And I'm talking a line where the center was a player for whom this was the 8th game at center and the wing was a 19 year old rookie. Hey, Adam fumbled a couple of passes, but that happens to 19 year old players. Explain that to me.

In my opinion, it would be a pretty good idea for someone to talk to Johnny "Hockey". I like him, but this?

Couldn't we play with five defenders? Severson is overrated.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Exactly, hopefully this team and the coaching staff is learning something every game.
I won’t start getting worried before game 10, this fresh group of players and HC needs time to get adjusted and gelling.

Thought Bemstrom was good, Jiricek too.

Jiricek looked good out there. Bean was prob the best D today

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I won’t start getting worried before game 10, this fresh group of players and HC needs time to get adjusted and gelling.
I wish you could tell the softies on social media that you need more data/time. Between Reddit and Twitter this team would had Vincent fired, Jarmo/JD looking for work, Johnny traded for a 2nd round pick, spend 3 1st round picks on a Goalie and move the team to KC after 3 games...they seen enough.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Severson with another howler of a game, yikes.

Provorov is good just get him the hell away from the PP.

I like Jiriceks game, not a surprise he was top of the list.

Gotta change that 3rd line up. KJ needs to be playing with more skill.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I wish you could tell the softies on social media that you need more data/time. Between Reddit and Twitter this team would had Vincent fired, Jarmo/JD looking for work, Johnny traded for a 2nd round pick, spend 3 1st round picks on a Goalie and move the team to KC after 3 games...they seen enough.
Instafullpanicmode right

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Strong first period, Jiricek shows that he's ready to stay, Severson got put in the doghouse for the 3rd period which I give props to PV for doing and Boqvist looked terrible out there on a night of terribleness and the Impact card shows.

Call me old fashioned but this is the type of night where when they come in Wednesday's morning skate I wouldn't be shocked to see nothing but a trash can at center ice. This isn't a bad team, the talent is there but they just rolled overed after the Severson turnover and players who should had a clearer head took stupid penalties and everyone else deflated. To me nothing solves that problem like an ole fashioned bag skate but that's just me being old.

Oh well not a complete waste of a night for me, not only did I get free tickets for this game but ended up walking out with two free pizzas for tomorrow and a T-shirt so...YAY ME!

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
Laine with 3 shots on goal the last 2 games is baffling but want to know what’s even more baffling? Laine’s last two games TOI…. 15 minutes against the rangers… 14 minutes tonight.

fourteen minutes, Laine. wowza

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Laine with 3 shots on goal the last 2 games is baffling but want to know what’s even more baffling? Laine’s last two games TOI…. 15 minutes against the rangers… 14 minutes tonight.

fourteen minutes, Laine. wowza
More. But But not in the net.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Couldn't we play with five defenders? Severson is overrated.
We did at the end. Severson got BENCHED the entire 3rd period. The reason I brought that up did y'all hear PV's press conference on the way home? He's like the Anti-Larsen. Said we have so many bad habits this team has developed and its going to take time to break like us rolling over after bad mistakes. He's not throwing any player under the bus but sure like he did it to Larsen, but he's not wrong, this team does have an adversity issue and tonight it showed. Good for PV to address the major elephant in the room about tonight while being courteous and respectful to the players!

Reactions: CBJx614

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I wonder what the thinking was behind not pulling Martin after the 3rd goal. He looked like a third-string goalie (which, of course, he is!)

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
KJ is a weak little floating winger who can occasionally score a Michigan goal. I'd send him to Cleveland tonight to man up.
A bit harsh, but he certainly doesn’t seem to be well prepared for the season

Great, so if you thought we weren't immature and confused enough, we can always keep going further in that direction.
Well, I’ve seen enough of Roslovic, Bemstrom, Foudy, Peeke, Gud and would give the youngsters more chances

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I am fully on board with Pascal benching and scratching players as he sees fit (can Kuraly be next, please?).

But everyone looks bad on a night like this for a reason. Even Tex looked bad. Jenner couldn't get in on the forecheck in the last two periods. I think our three abreast rush is just hard countered by what Detroit is doing. We needed the stretch pass to open things up.

Reactions: Marioesque

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Well, I’ve seen enough of Roslovic, Bemstrom, Foudy, Peeke, Gud and would give the youngsters more chances

We're already the youngest team in the league. Replace those five with better veterans. Bring in Garland.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I am fully on board with Pascal benching and scratching players as he sees fit (can Kuraly be next, please?).

But everyone looks bad on a night like this for a reason. Even Tex looked bad. Jenner couldn't get in on the forecheck in the last two periods. I think our three abreast rush is just hard countered by what Detroit is doing. We needed the stretch pass to open things up.
This line could have been much better if not for bad FO by Laine, who can be excused for NOW. Only Jenner and Kuraly were good in that. Jenner has problems when the opponent plays fast, uses combinations.

P.S. forget it, Kuraly will play. If he's HS, I'll learn French in a month's time. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad