GDT: Game #3: Dallas Stars @ St. Louis Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgar Carrow

The Misshapen Steed
Oct 12, 2013
Blackwater Park
I'm guessing we didn't turtle in this one?

They started to, but Hitch got on to them. It lasted all of 1 minute.

Before we start feeling too good about things, Tyler Seguin IS skating now...so he'll likely be back for Game 5.

Not that he'll be able to solve the goaltending and defensive woes the Stars are currently facing...but that should boost the Stars spirits heading home...even if they are down 3-1 by that point.

They need to hit him every chance they get. He came back early in the first round and re-injured himself.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I'll be soooooo incredibly disappointed if we lose this series. More so than when we lost to Minnesota last year.

Dallas' goaltending is in shambles, their defense is weak and easily pushed around, and they don't have Seguin. Plus now we have a 2-1 lead.

I said coming into this series that I had zero fear of Dallas. I somehow have less fear. The Stars just aren't a cup contender. Losing Seguin killed them. They could get by a beat up Minny team without him(barely) but against this complete team, they stand no chance. Their offense doesn't have the ability to mask their back end problems anymore.

Agreed. That felt like a regular season game in November at times last night. It's night and day compared to the Chicago series (I believe you were one of the posters I argued with re: optimal first round opponent..I tip my cap). No matter how thin the Hawks blueline has become over the last calendar year there was not much offense or scoring chance that came easy in that series. Chicago's forwards don't get enough credit for how good they are defensively as a collective group. Lindy Ruff seems to have no defensive scheme whatsoever besides possess the puck and get up the ice quick whereas Quenneville's Hawks are extremely structured in their own end and without the puck. That's the biggest extreme for me between the two teams. Certainly doesn't hurt they have two sieves in net :laugh:

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Again, lots of hockey to be played, but let's not act like the Chicago series didn't give this team a serious mental boost. In beating the defending champs, it's as if they absorbed, and dare I say it, championship qualities.

This doesn't look like a team of chokers anymore.

EDIT: Listening to 101 right now and JR put it best, "this is no fluke".

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
Again, lots of hockey to be played, but let's not act like the Chicago series didn't give this team a serious mental boost. In beating the defending champs, it's as if they absorbed, and dare I say it, championship qualities.

I honestly think the rookies (Fabbs and Colt 55) have helped introduce a new level of killer instinct to this franchise. Both were fantastic leaders and clutch performers in the minor leagues, and that is translating straight to the NHL. It is wonderful to see.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

exactly. That says it best.

Also look at the progression of the games. Stars fans hang their hat on coming back in game 2. Stl let them. Game 3, the Blues kept the pressure up and buried the Stars. Game 2 could have been a beating too if they didn't let up in the 3rd.

I'm still cautiously optimistic....but in pretty confident in the Blues, even if they don't finish it before 6

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I am sticking with my prediction before the series started: Blues in 5. I think game 4 will be a LOT closer than game 3, but still see the Blues winning. Dallas demonstrated a serious lack of mental toughness last night (reminded me of the Blues in years past tbh). They are still very dangerous tho and all it take is one small mistake and they will put points on the board.

BluesCanada

Apr 21, 2014
Stars fans are so salty about Ryan Reaves. lol. if you don't want to get your ass handed to you by Reaves, don't start a fight you can't possibly win and then get tossed around like a child during it.

i'm also a Reaves fan, so there's that.

fishsandwichpatrol

Mar 29, 2014
Upstate SC
I am sticking with my prediction before the series started: Blues in 5. I think game 4 will be a LOT closer than game 3, but still see the Blues winning. Dallas demonstrated a serious lack of mental toughness last night (reminded me of the Blues in years past tbh). They are still very dangerous tho and all it take is one small mistake and they will put points on the board.

I also voted Blues in 5. I think we have the tools to shut down their strengths and exploit their weaknesses as we saw last night.

On a related note, ESPN had great timing posting an article yesterday morning about how underrated Dallas' defense is :laugh: wish I had Insider so I could read it

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO

It definitely isn't a fluke. The Blues are a great team. They finished off their defense perfectly with the additions of Parayko and Edmundson adding much needed size and strength.

Not sure Oshie for Brouwer changed us much but Fabbri is giving us great scoring depth. Kid is a gonna be a stud. Already kind of is.

They don't play a ton but I love our 4th line too. Reaves is perhaps the best heavyweight in the game and then you have a tremendous vet trio of Ott, Brodziak, and Upshall. Such a huge improvement over Cracknell-Porter-younger Reaves back in 2012. Those guys could hit for one minute to start the game but then get destroyed.

This is just such a deep team that has developed a truly physical identity. Dallas is struggling mightily with our toughness.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
This is why I love having Reaves in the lineup. He sent a message last night. The Stars can be mad about him blowing them a kiss but the bottom line is nobody in their lineup can handle Reaves. They put Curtis McKenzie in the lineup SPECIFICALLY to counter our physical play and look what happened to him. Reaves does whatever he wants out there, he's one of the hardest hitters in hockey and can win a fight against almost anyone. When we have guys like him, Brouwer, Backes, Edmundson, Upshall playing that heavy game consistently, we are a handful and the team obviously feeds off the energy and space is created for our skill guys to go to work. I've always thought that the Blues play their most balanced games when they stick to their identity of being a heavy team. Backes and Brouwer right now are doing a marvelous job at providing that while still putting up points and it's awesome to see. Brouwer has fit in really well, so I'll give that trade some credit. It's working out for both teams now.

And Stars fans should probably be more upset about losing 6-1 than a player taunting their bench, that's the funny part to me.

The Blues should win this series. We are a better team, and 2 of the next 3 games are at home. Win the home games and it will end this. I think we really control the game when we're at home against Dallas and our crowd has been awesome.

I'm just really pleased with this team's attitude this year. It's much improved. The rookies have been absolutely tremendous, and we're getting scoring from several key players. Everyone is playing their role to a tee, from Brodziak and Gunnarsson to Backes and Schwartz. They look a ton better.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
This is why I love having Reaves in the lineup. He sent a message last night. The Stars can be mad about him blowing them a kiss but the bottom line is nobody in their lineup can handle Reaves. They put Curtis McKenzie in the lineup SPECIFICALLY to counter our physical play and look what happened to him. Reaves does whatever he wants out there, he's one of the hardest hitters in hockey and can win a fight against almost anyone. When we have guys like him, Brouwer, Backes, Edmundson, Upshall playing that heavy game consistently, we are a handful and the team obviously feeds off the energy and space is created for our skill guys to go to work. I've always thought that the Blues play their most balanced games when they stick to their identity of being a heavy team. Backes and Brouwer right now are doing a marvelous job at providing that while still putting up points and it's awesome to see. Brouwer has fit in really well, so I'll give that trade some credit. It's working out for both teams now.

And Stars fans should probably be more upset about losing 6-1 than a player taunting their bench, that's the funny part to me.

The Blues should win this series. We are a better team, and 2 of the next 3 games are at home. Win the home games and it will end this. I think we really control the game when we're at home against Dallas and our crowd has been awesome.

I'm just really pleased with this team's attitude this year. It's much improved. The rookies have been absolutely tremendous, and we're getting scoring from several key players. Everyone is playing their role to a tee, from Brodziak and Gunnarsson to Backes and Schwartz. They look a ton better.
People may under look a guy who is on the bottom line. But it is these guys who you championship. Chicago has guys like Shaw and in 2013 had Bickell step up.

I never understood why Reaves was scratched for Ott.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
People may under look a guy who is on the bottom line. But it is these guys who you championship. Chicago has guys like Shaw and in 2013 had Bickell step up.

Ott and Brouwer were a huge part of the team's ability to win game 3. I don't understand why so many are quick to dismiss Ott's value to his teammates. Reaves big hits are great, but neither guy is on the ice enough minutes to make a huge impact. But Ott's influence on the bench, settling guys down, keeping everyone positive and playing the right way, its important.

Will he play again this post-season? I don't know. But there were comments after a couple playoff games from players about how much Ott helped.

Even thought the Blues lost Game 6, when they went down 0-1 it was Ott who made the sweet pass for (was it Upshall?) on the short-handed chance which tied it up. At the time, that was a huge moment. As it turned out, the team couldn't cope with the 2nd period by Chicago, but the 4th line gave them a chance to stay in the game when all hell was breaking loose.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015

It was a great adjustment vs Chicago, and bringing Reaves back against Dallas. Reaves didnt have the same effect against a veteran team like Chicago. Hitch deserves a lot of credit.

Bluesin7

Jan 29, 2014
My one hope is that the Blues have now learned what it is to put the dagger in and twist it. They learned how it feels and how to not turtle. Keep the foot on the gas.

Very impressive game last night.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
kuCoO08.gif

Benn is just getting warmed up...

I like this version better...

;)

That was beautiful, Blues organist made Chelsea Dagger sound like a funeral dirge, which it was for the Blackhawks, lol.

Venthon

Nov 11, 2014
That was beautiful, Blues organist made Chelsea Dagger sound like a funeral dirge, which it was for the Blackhawks, lol.

That was honestly a very clever little dig. I was pissed at first, hearing it live, but after the fact I see the humor in it.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
That was honestly a very clever little dig. I was pissed at first, hearing it live, but after the fact I see the humor in it.

Honestly, I had never heard the entire song until I saw your video, lol. I actually like the song, but as a Blue's fan had learned to hate it because the only time I ever heard any part of it was when the Hawks scored. It's really a pretty clever song with some good music. Too bad that the Blackhawks ruined it for me, lol. :yo:

Venthon

Nov 11, 2014
Honestly, I had never heard the entire song until I saw your video, lol. I actually like the song, but as a Blue's fan had learned to hate it because the only time I ever heard any part of it was when the Hawks scored. It's really a pretty clever song with some good music. Too bad that the Blackhawks ruined it for me, lol. :yo:

Catchy as all hell, right? It's generic as hell, and I pride myself on good music taste, but that song hooks me everytime. It's like Pavlovian conditioning. :laugh:

Bye Felicia

Apr 26, 2016
I don't know what it sounds like on the ice, but I really like the Stars' goal song over broadcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad