Post-Game Talk: Game 3: Caps vs. Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
The team is playing great. Orpik and Orlov are playing poorly. I don't really think that's a controversial statement.

It most definitely is. When a team allows 2 goals in 3 playoff games, how can you say multiple defenseman are playing poorly?!? You aren't being realistic. How many goals against have either one of them even been on the ice for? 1? Holtby has been excellent but he isn't standing on his head. He isn't stealing games. He's making all the stops he ought to be making and being his usual excellent self.

This is crazy talk.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Yes it's a board and very dangerous play yadda yadda.
Yep Orlov put himself into a very odd position getting as low as he did, while trying to backhand the puck behind the goal, and with one arm. The lower you go, the closer the head goes to the boards.

Glad you raised this. I instinctively repel when folks say in response to a bad hit, that the hittee "put himself in a bad position" - because it tends to be used as a means of excusing the hit and Bellemare just can't do what he did there.

But I do not think the D-man instruction manual advises going into the boards the way Orlov did there - low and not-at-all sideways is very unorthodox.

coyote

Jul 21, 2002
Visit site
third line production

I think their production would be a lot better if they put JoJo at centre Need a centre to carry the puck and Richards is playing well but cannot carry the puck

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
4 games fore Bellemare won't upset him I guess. Guaranteed vacations from now on!

As far as I understand he won't lose any money over it, right? I bet there is an option to make it last only until this season's end. I mean no extension till next season if Flyers are here for shorter period of time than suspension lasts.

Anyway, the punk will be there still. White. Can't stand his face. I'd try to get a moment and make him pay if I were a player.

I think their production would be a lot better if they put JoJo at centre Need a centre to carry the puck and Richards is playing well but cannot carry the puck

Chimmer is out of his element somehow. Not much going for him so far. Maybe there is an option to rest Bura and let Latta in for a game.

Mojo-Kuz-JDub
Chim-Beagle-Wilson
Winnik-Richards-Latta

Too much moving parts though. But it's not like all 3 of those lines are scoring at ES anyway. 3 games is enough maybe, fine opportunity to see something else.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Glad you raised this. I instinctively repel when folks say in response to a bad hit, that the hittee "put himself in a bad position" - because it tends to be used as a means of excusing the hit and Bellemare just can't do what he did there.

But I do not think the D-man instruction manual advises going into the boards the way Orlov did there - low and not-at-all sideways is very unorthodox.

Yeah but Bellemare still lowers his shoulder and drives into Orlov's back:

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4-mobile/ayy8.mp4

Does Orlov need to maybe brace for the hit better? Sure, it would be advisable for self-preservation. But it is 100% on Bellemare for easing up in that situation. He should be suspended for at least 2 playoff games if they are going for a 1 playoff game = 2 regular season games formula.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
They should suspend Bellamare for the rest of the playoffs with a 1 game suspension.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Holtby left practice early after collision with teammate. Was favoring one leg, flexing other knee. Per beat reporters on Twitter

36kap36

Jan 21, 2011
Ohio
4 games fore Bellemare won't upset him I guess. Guaranteed vacations from now on!

As far as I understand he won't lose any money over it, right? I bet there is an option to make it last only until this season's end. I mean no extension till next season if Flyers are here for shorter period of time than suspension lasts.

Anyway, the punk will be there still. White. Can't stand his face. I'd try to get a moment and make him pay if I were a player.

Chimmer is out of his element somehow. Not much going for him so far. Maybe there is an option to rest Bura and let Latta in for a game.

Mojo-Kuz-JDub
Chim-Beagle-Wilson
Winnik-Richards-Latta

Too much moving parts though. But it's not like all 3 of those lines are scoring at ES anyway. 3 games is enough maybe, fine opportunity to see something else.

I'm not sure breaking up Winnik-Richards-Wilson is the best idea. I've really liked how they've been playing on both ends, although they aren't doing much to finish in the O zone. Maybe that's just me, though.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I'm not sure breaking up Winnik-Richards-Latta is the best idea. I've really liked how they've been playing on both ends, although they aren't doing much to finish in the O zone. Maybe that's just me, though.

Yep, you're right nonetheless, 4th line is not doing anything offensively. Changing its personnel will not do damage.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ HOLTBY TAKE MY ENERGY ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

On the real though, If its a questionable thing I might sit him out this game and let Grubi get a game. If they win, Holtby gets some rest, if they don't, he at least gets a few days to sort himself out.

Not that I'm even comfortable with sweeping and having all that time off...

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Many started leaving at 4-1. Those that stayed were pissed at the Flyers and/or the refs. There were pockets of fans who were pissed at the other fans for throwing the wristbands, but a lot of people started throwing wristbands once it became obvious what was happening (saw at least a couple hundred get thrown, but I guess that's not really that many in a stadium originally full of 18K people). A mock cheer went up when the delay of game penalty was announced No idea who thought it was a bright idea to give free ammunition to Philadelphia sports fans. :laugh:

Yeah, but when they are a direct tribute to Ed Snider, dang man, that's brutal.

Glad you guys whooped some ass, that game was a gong show.

-Cheap ass hits
-Booing injured players
-Blowing kisses when down 4-1, in a game about to go 0-3
-Two clowns swinging at skill guys in a scrum
-Throwing big clunky bracelets onto the ice, and Orlov's head

Man, what a **** show. Close this out on Philly's ice for the lulz.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Could not disagree more. I give Bellemare credit for genuinely being concerned for Orlov's wellbeing after the hit, but he was looking at Orlov's #9 from at least the hash marks and absolutely had time to avoid that hit.....

I hope Holts warned Orlov there is a guy on your back, with him tracked for that long.

Let's see if the league agrees on your long suspension. A hit was coming there, however minor. It's playoff hockey - played in a walled gridiron on the slipperiest surface imaginable, played on fat razor blades, with all toting lethal weapons we call twigs.

I contend a precedent has been set that suspensions are minimized when the hitted plays some part in it. Usually of course, turning your back to the hit at the last moment. Orly? He bent over and turned away from the direction he tried to go - however the league factors that in, I don't know but think they will.

Unfortunately for Bellemore, I believe the league is acting all big and tough today after the horrible media exposure they perceive they got from the game. I contend the "bad publicity" did not hurt the NHL at all, and may even spike up ratings for game 4.

I think he gets a game, because he played for Philly last night.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Schmidt-Carlson wasn't great during the regular season, but they weren't terrible. They've already played several minutes this post-season and have been very good IMO, so I like the 27-2, 88-74, 9-4 combinations. Shelter the hell out of 9-4 and I think it'll be fine.

Thanks for sharing.

It looks like this is Schmidt's big chance to breakout.

It will certainly be interesting to see how he does. I think we'll instantly see him targeted by opposition forwards. Looking at the game logs shows many times he was well over 20 TOI... I feel better looking at the TOI numbers from last time he filled in for Orpik.

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8477220&season=20152016&view=gamelog

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Comforting to know that White, aka 'Og' still lives in that cave..

Dave Isaac ‏@davegisaac 15h15 hours ago

Ryan White on #Flyers fans throwing wristbands: "Whatever. I love the Philly fans. I'd have done it too."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad