Post-Game Talk: Game 3: Caps vs. Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I hope Holts warned Orlov there is a guy on your back, with him tracked for that long.

Let's see if the league agrees on your long suspension. A hit was coming there, however minor. It's playoff hockey - played in a walled gridiron on the slipperiest surface imaginable, played on fat razor blades, with all toting lethal weapons we call twigs.

I contend a precedent has been set that suspensions are minimized when the hitted plays some part in it. Usually of course, turning your back to the hit at the last moment. Orly? He bent over and turned away from the direction he tried to go - however the league factors that in, I don't know but think they will.

Unfortunately for Bellemore, I believe the league is acting all big and tough today after the horrible media exposure they perceive they got from the game. I contend the "bad publicity" did not hurt the NHL at all, and may even spike up ratings for game 4.

I think he gets a game, because he played for Philly last night.

Bellmare is a first-time offender so that will and should be factored in.

I agree about the press coverage. Makes Philly look bad more than the NHL, but how the league responds does matter. Bellade deserves 10 games-ish for very poor judgement. The league tho would improve its image by punishing the real goons i.e. White and Gudas.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007

I agree about the press coverage. Makes Philly look bad more than the NHL, but how the league responds does matter. Bellade deserves 10 games-ish for very poor judgement. The league tho would improve its image by punishing the real goons i.e. White and Gudas.

It was a careless play but if that is going to get someone 10 games, you'll soon be suspending players for multiple seasons.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I know Mason is Hakstol's guy, but he has been leaky as hell. I know some will argue who cares, they are all PP goals, as rome burns, but the only way the fire can be put out in Rome, is by stealing the fl games. And even JoeB commented that he appeared injured.

I annually call bunk that a goalie change can only be done once in the playoffs. Look at how many teams fail to win the cup sticking to that golden rule. The goalies rotate the entire damn year. I believe the years that Bruce yanked Theo, and Varly slowly showed signs of losing his magic, he should have, and easily could have, gone back to Theo. How much worse could Theo have been vs Varly's meltdown in game 7? Theo was his undisputed #1 both years.

Look at Neuvy's numbers vs Leakies, and tell me he doesn't deserve a game.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/stats.htm?gameType=2&season=20152016

Try and haunt his former team, like I wanted to see from Theo in game 6 in Monty.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Yeah, but when they are a direct tribute to Ed Snider, dang man, that's brutal.

The bracelets were not a tribute to Ed Snider. T-shirts were given out for Ed Snider. The bracelets were used for a generic playoffs light show (as well as God Bless America and any other video during a stoppage of play).

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I like that our PP is utilizing 2 layers of screens. It was high time MJ moved out of hiding in the corner and moved out front.

I will boldly predict a MJ goal, on a Carlson shot - a double deflection first off of Oshie. Who, by the way, is in the league leaders in +- at 3. Saying something, as we only have 4 ESGF.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

I agree - and that Gudas should have gotten an instigate / game and a 1 game suspension.

While the league makes a concentrated effort to clean up boarding etc, what about when a known pugilist starts punching a guy that has never fought? I feel like guys get concussed as much by fists as by boards, and since eliminating concussions is high on the priority list, suspensions are in order for unprovoked punches.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I like that our PP is utilizing 2 layers of screens. It was high time MJ moved out of hiding in the corner and moved out front.

He's been doing that since last year. He rotates beneath the goal line when Backstrom or Ovechkin have the puck. He rotates into the crease when Carlson has the puck. The bumper (Oshie/Brouwer) have the puck so infrequently (and for such short durations) that there's likely to no set design for his motion while they have it.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
He's been doing that since last year. He rotates beneath the goal line when Backstrom or Ovechkin have the puck. He rotates into the crease when Carlson has the puck. The bumper (Oshie/Brouwer) have the puck so infrequently (and for such short durations) that there's likely to no set design for his motion while they have it.

Ah thanks for the correction; I have noticed him next to the goal a tonne of course, not as much as a proper 2nd screener. Maybe because i am looking at the lane from Carly to Ovi, since that was pretty much always the play for the past 2 years.

Did you wear a caps jersey last night?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
It was a careless play but if that is going to get someone 10 games, you'll soon be suspending players for multiple seasons.

Wrong. First off, that's one of the most dangerous hits I've ever seen in 42 years of watching hockey; so not an everyday occurrence. But the bigger issue is that guys have to make better choices when they can. That was not a split-second decision. Bellmare was looking at Orlov's back for 10 or more seconds from the hash marks to the boards. He has to make the decision to not hit the vulnerable player, even tho he wants to make the play and there's a ton of energy/emotion. He knew it was a very bad decision, but it was that, a decision. Not malicious, but not an accident.

Guys are gonna get hurt. Hockey is a tough physical sport. but that hit cannot happen. By all rights, Orlov should be in an ICU in Philadelphia. It's near-miraculous that he's OK.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
The bracelets were not a tribute to Ed Snider. T-shirts were given out for Ed Snider. The bracelets were used for a generic playoffs light show (as well as God Bless America and any other video during a stoppage of play).

Ah, my mistake.

Kept seeing that stated on the mains, and foolishly figured something said on the mains might have been correct. :laugh:

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I noticed Mojo moved over to Oshie's side last night on a few occasions, passing to/from Ovi and carrying the puck back to Backstrom/the goalie's left via behind the net... Is that new?

He's provided a great screen all season long - Oshie too. They're either left alone by D, or stand their ground and the D-men provide further screens... Another example of how this PP is tough to beat when it's working smoothly.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I agree - and that Gudas should have gotten an instigate / game and a 1 game suspension.

While the league makes a concentrated effort to clean up boarding etc, what about when a known pugilist starts punching a guy that has never fought? I feel like guys get concussed as much by fists as by boards, and since eliminating concussions is high on the priority list, suspensions are in order for unprovoked punches.

Guess the NHL agrees that this game is good for ratings. NHL Network replaying it right now. :laugh:

maybam

Mar 30, 2010
Speaking of screens, Williams has some stones and/or a ton of trust in Carlson. He blasted it about 6-8 inches from him face and Williams didn't even flinch.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Speaking of screens, Williams has some stones and/or a ton of trust in Carlson. He blasted it about 6-8 inches from him face and Williams didn't even flinch.

Well with how hard Carlson shoots maybe he didn't even see them? :)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Did you wear a caps jersey last night?
Yup, wore my red Alzner jersey.

we had these at game 1 in Verizon.

Slightly different than the Verizon ones. The ones at VC just flickered when you turned them on, correct? These were coordinated by section, and would respond to remote inputs from the stadium. Look up Pixmob wristbands if you're really interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad